3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New springs, new ball joints, new shocks...odd feeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiverRat2
what all do you have to get for the 08 steering up grade??? is it all Dodge OEM Parts??? How much if ya dont mind me asking??? have you still got the part #'s by chance?????
They are all Dodge OEM parts. You can go to http://www.mopar2u.com/bgautprod.html. They are in Seguin. It may be worth a shot to look up the parts, call your local dealer and ask if they will match their price. It might save you the shipping cost.
Here are the part #'s that I got from another thread.
52122362AE---Updated Steering assy (Rev E)
68039930AA---Updated Pitman Arm
52106909AE---Steering Damper
6502473---Bolt (1), to attach steering damper
6505623AA---Nuts (3), to attach new linkage
6502835---Nuts (2), to attach steering damper
Good Luck! Shouldn't you be out racing somewhere?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteMule
They are all Dodge OEM parts. You can go to http://www.mopar2u.com/bgautprod.html. They are in Seguin. It may be worth a shot to look up the parts, call your local dealer and ask if they will match their price. It might save you the shipping cost.
Here are the part #'s that I got from another thread.
52122362AE---Updated Steering assy (Rev E)
68039930AA---Updated Pitman Arm
52106909AE---Steering Damper
6502473---Bolt (1), to attach steering damper
6505623AA---Nuts (3), to attach new linkage
6502835---Nuts (2), to attach steering damper
Good Luck! Shouldn't you be out racing somewhere?
Yeah,,,, We gotta race this weekend in Beaumont But we broke/cracked some more valve guides on the last Outing In Knoxville Iowa a few weeks back and when we did our last freshen up the engine builder??? didnt replace them all just the ones he thought looked bad,,,, need a new set of ASCS Brodix Racing heads for the Motor thats in the car ($3500$) with some new Titainium Exhaust valves,,,,,,, and our back up motor is not finished yet not sure whats going on there!!!!!

I just pull the PIG!!!!!! toy hauler,,,,,,,and Cook!!!! when needed!!!!! and drink A few Cool pops after the feature is over LOLOL!!!!! thanks for the Part numbers I ll ck it out
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Yeah,,,, We gotta race this weekend in Beaumont But we broke/cracked some more valve guides on the last Outing In Knoxville Iowa a few weeks back and the engine builder??? didnt replace them all just the ones he thought looked bad,,,, need a new set of ASCS Brodix Racing heads for the Motor thats in the car ($3500$) with some new Titainium Exhaust valves,,,,,,, and our back up motor is not finished yet not sure whats going on there!!!!!

I just pull the PIG!!!!!! toy hauler,,,,,,,and Cook!!!! when needed!!!!! and drink A few Cool pops after the feature is over LOLOL!!!!! thanks for the Part numbers I ll ck it out
We are all too familiar with the new motor deal. Blowed one last year, put in the new one, took 2nd @ HRP one weekend, fast track time on the Wed. night following and one of the valves came apart as the car was leaving the track ( another one bites the dust). Bought a running motor to finish the season. Not enough HP and ran hot all the time. Just got the new one built and tore down the one that was bought and found out the block was cracked. Hope we don't need the back up that's at the builders for a while.

Sorry guys for getting off topic a little. And Now....., back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM

I did install the upgraded steering today. Haven't driven it enough to tell if it is going to solve the problems. It seems better. Won't be able to give a test for another week at least. It seems that I did so well at work this week that they requested an encore performance this weekend. I might get to put a load behind it next weekend and put some miles on it through the hill country. I'll let you know if it helps
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

White Mule - Did it help?

My truck went into the shop this morning, their changing the lowers back to Factory from the Moog's. Hope this fixes the problem.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Update -

Got my truck back yesterday and the problem is fixed. Drives like it should.

I guess there are only two possible answers,

Moogs on the lowers were the reason for the poor handling or they had them too tight. Either way when they put OEM lowers on and left the Moogs on the uppers, the problem was fixed.

I'm just glad it is resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Question

Originally Posted by wadediesel
Update -

Got my truck back yesterday and the problem is fixed. Drives like it should.

I guess there are only two possible answers,

Moogs on the lowers were the reason for the poor handling or they had them too tight. Either way when they put OEM lowers on and left the Moogs on the uppers, the problem was fixed.

I'm just glad it is resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just wish you knew which scenario fixed it?????????? so I know which way not to go when my time comes!!!!!

BTW what was the cost of the OEM BJ's?????
Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 PM

As far as cost, they told me that if the OEM parts were more - then they would charge me the difference. I did not pay an additional cost when they were finished. Therefore, I assume the OEM's were the same price or lower than the Moog’s. I think I paid $250/set for the Moog lowers, I'm not sure.

As far as the solution, the only reason I'm not saying that it was the moog's for sure is that on one of the test drives before the fix, the Mechanic made a comment "I got the lowers tight, but you know-you can't get them too tight, drive on them for a few miles, it will loosen up." I can't help but think that maybe he was second guessing his torque of the lowers?

One thing is for certain, In my case the problem WAS in the lower ball joints after replacement. Since I did no other replacement of any other parts. However, I was starting to question the integrity of other components on the front end. I'm glad I didn't start replacing the front end piece by piece only to end up at the ball joints.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Yeah I got ya there,,,,,,

It will be interesting to see what results abound when the Carli's to come out in Nov.,,,,, if they are no better I probably will just go back with the OEM's myself??????
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM

What about the XRF balljoints I've read about.... Sound pretty good and much, much less money than Carli, etc.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
What about the XRF balljoints I've read about.... Sound pretty good and much, much less money than Carli, etc.
XRF??????????? I must use the search Function!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM

XRF??????????? I must use the search Function!!!!!
here's a thread

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ml#post2567919
Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

Steering shafts are known to wear early on these trucks. Steering box can also be adjusted.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM

My 05 is experiencing the same issues after new steering upgrade, Moog upper & lower ball joints, precision axle u-joints and steering brace. The truck acts the same with with the 325's on or the stock 245's. What has me puzzled is that I have a low speed noise (clunk) when I hit a bump. I keep thinking if I can locate where the noise is coming from I will find what is causing the lane wonder.
Any ideas???
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by neversatisfied
My 05 is experiencing the same issues after new steering upgrade, Moog upper & lower ball joints, precision axle u-joints and steering brace. The truck acts the same with with the 325's on or the stock 245's. What has me puzzled is that I have a low speed noise (clunk) when I hit a bump. I keep thinking if I can locate where the noise is coming from I will find what is causing the lane wonder.
Any ideas???
Just a guess but I'm saying your track bar is shot. Mine made similar noises and recently pulled it out to put in a Thuren adjustable. The bushings were pretty well toast.

Quick Reply: New springs, new ball joints, new shocks...odd feeling