3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need some facts for my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some facts for my dealer

I am needing for anyone who has had the hard start/white smoke flash done to their '05-'06 trucks to reply with what it did to yours before/after the flash.

By reading on here, I see that those that have had it done have seen increased mpg after the flash. Mine is getting around 9-10 in town, 13 if lucky on the road (driving like an old lady at that).

Dealer tells me this is normal and as long as I don't have the hard start (which I don't) nor the white white smoke (which I don't) that the flash will do no good. I know I have read otherwise on here and had an '03 CTD that got 17 in town and 21 on the road.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It improved my mileage, but my ovehead was dead on before and now is off after the flash.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Flashes can be a 50/50 proposition, it might work it might not....I don't think it will hurt, so why don't they just do it and try to make you a happy customer???
Or am I mistaken?

Dale
Old 06-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dale29
Flashes can be a 50/50 proposition, it might work it might not....I don't think it will hurt, so why don't they just do it and try to make you a happy customer???
Or am I mistaken?

Dale
I've read alot of complaints from members about dealers being a pain, rude, not knowing anything, and in all honest most of the members are from Texas. Is it me or are the dealers in Texas just a pain to deal with?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by mkinla
I've read alot of complaints from members about dealers being a pain, rude, not knowing anything, and in all honest most of the members are from Texas. Is it me or are the dealers in Texas just a pain to deal with?
Could be, I know of one Dealer (F&%#ing Maxwell) that I will never go back to, and 2 that have been great (Haik & Hewlett)
The high ratio of complaints from TX could be because 7 of 10 vehicles on the road here are Trucks.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 PM

My truck was consitently between 16 and 18, but had the long crank and white smoke before the flash and after the flash. Problem is, I want the smoke and crank fixed. I bought a $43K truck, and it should start when I turn the key. I still have the same mileage, but the crank and smoke is getting old.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Nav

My mileage went up a tad on the first tank after the flash, but then it dropped back o the old levels. The only thing it di do however is throw off the overhead. Before the flash it was with 2 tenths of a mile off the hand calc. After the flash, it will read 19.5 when hand calculating only gets 16.1. Its been hard to assess exactly because every tank I seem to be hauling my 5'er and that destroys any chance of good mileage.

Nav
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove a customers truck that was only getting 13mpg today. Filled it until fuel was up in the neck, drove it 62 miles, returned to the same station and used the same pump. Filled it until fuel was up in the neck again........18.7mpg using his odometer, 19.4 by the gps miles. Overhead read 14.2 when I started. It read 17.9 when he picked the truck up. Case closed.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 AM
J.T

My fuel mileage went up a little. Was getting about 14-15mpg before the flash and after got 16-17. Mine went in for the excess cranking time though.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rico334
Mine is getting around 9-10 in town, 13 if lucky on the road (driving like an old lady at that).

Dealer tells me this is normal and as long as I don't have the hard start (which I don't) nor the white white smoke (which I don't) that the flash will do no good.

Thanks.
Wrong, and wrong. I have owned (and still own 2 of them) 4 04.5 and later ctd's. NONE of them got mileage anywhere NEAR as poor as what you describe. That includes the 04.5 4x4 auto dually, and our current '06 4x4 SRW auto.

My '06 2wd 2500 6 spd did not have the hard start. I took it in and had them do the flash anyway. I got the 2 mpg improvement most other people report. This improvement showed up in both the overhead display and hand calculated. For reference, none of the 4 trucks had any boxes or programmers on them. The most I ever did was have the muffler replaced with a magnaflow model and put an afe intake system on them. (neither of which seemed to improve mileage, I might add)

The mileage gain from the reflash was not gradual-it began as soon as the flash was done. Not likely from other sources, in other words.

One note about your truck-make sure your front tires are inflated to 70 or 80 psi. I know the sticker on the door jamb says otherwise, but if you look at the sidewall of the tires, you'll see that the max safe pressure is 80. I have personally witnessed 2-3 mpg gains from my own trucks by simply raising front tire pressure from 50 to 80. Yes, just the fronts. It makes that much difference with the weight of the diesel up front. Though important, rear tire pressure makes much less difference in real life than front tire pressure unless you're heavily loaded a lot.

You may show this to your dealer-maybe they'll pay attention. I know my local dealer would at least consider it if I showed them something like this.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 AM

RICCO334 what is your engine build date? mine is 3/06. My truck and dealership stories are exact the same as yours. Very poor milage and dealer says nothing they can do, just let it break in to get that magic 20 mpg B.S. story. How do the rest of these gus average 16 to 20 mpg with the same new truck, and then there is a few of us that have to suffer with the 9-12mpg.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM

mine was re-flashed after my liftpump replacement.i didn't have the white smoke or hard start either.my mileage was fine as well(18-20 empty)my mileage improved about 1 1/2-2 mpg.i guess it worked.didn't ask for it either they jus did it.