3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

More troubles for the 600????? - >

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can you determine the engine build date?

Neil
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neil, the engine build date is right on the valve cover sticker.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM

The build date is on the engine data sticker, located on the driver's side of the valve cover's cover.

Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 PM

Wexman,
Though I haven't been called about returning my truck, nor am I overly concerned if I am, there is a line that I will not cross. Give me a bicycle, a Vespa scooter, but no Yuppie Van. No, No No .......I'll walk
Ed
Old 05-03-2004, 06:58 PM

No, No No .......I'll walk
The irony is I have a spare car (a Neon). But, my better half was not able to accompany me today when I dropped the vehicle, and, through the service contract, I have a free loaner for the day, and since I was 35 miles from home, I really had no choice.

What DID annoy me was that the tech refused to call Chrysler to confirm whether or not trucks with miles really needed this test. He insisted that I leave it and they do it. So much for listening to the customer.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:02 PM

Just kidding about the loaner. My dealer is about 50 miles away so I would be in the same situation. I've got about the same miles on my truck as yours so if called, I'll take a bye. Doubt you will have a problem, but good luck anyway.
Ed
Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 PM

My dealer called and said they needed the truck in asap for this block heater/freeze plug problem.The wife took it in and it was okay.Some block heaters were not installed properly and might fall out. The check took less than one hour.

2004.5 3500 SRW LWB 4x4 Cummins '600' Quad cab 6sp 3.73 LSD SLT Atlantic Blue
2500km on her.....goes like a whipped puppy......speeding ticket looking for a place to happen....lol.....thank God for cruise control...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:36 AM

Is this something different? Freze plugs and block heaters are two different things, I believe.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Truck is done. Passed, no leakage.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
OK, let me see if I've got this straight... The dealer pressurizes the cooling system and revs up the engine, and if it blows two or more plugs, it gets a new engine? Is this really true?

Since it would be cheaper/faster/easier to replace all of the freeze plugs or even rebore the holes to a larger size than replace the whole engine, the only way this would make sense to me is if the freeze plugs blowing is not the main problem but a symptom of a larger problem.

Could there be a casting defect which, even if you designed plugs that stayed put, could cause a problem down the road?

Anyway, I think DC and Cummins deserve credit for the way they are handling the problem. A make of lesser scruples wouldn’t replace an entire engine unless forced to do so, or would even try to deny the problem. Heck, some brands would have just offered an extended warranty, leaving you to wonder if the thing is going to blow while you are on some abandoned highway in the middle of winter, or after the extended warranty expires.

I’ve got a motorcycle that is known for a cam bearing failure, but they don’t recall them for inspection or replacement, just offer an extended warranty. Not much reassurance when traveling alone, and those who did have one fail ended up paying for a new motorcycle and getting a motorcycle with a partly rebuilt engine.

Sorry this got long, but it sounds to me like Cummins and DC should be praised for their handling of this. I don’t think anyone would even know of the problem if it were not for them proactively wanting to check everyone’s engine to make sure they got a good one!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:03 PM

Since it would be cheaper/faster/easier to replace all of the freeze plugs or even rebore the holes to a larger size than replace the whole engine

Reboring would involve machine shops of unknown quality. DC would need to warranty that. Seems risky.

IMHO replacing the engine is the lowest risk solution. You know Cummins did the updates on the new one. The old ones go back and get reman'ed for other uses.

I’ve got a motorcycle that is known for a cam bearing failure, but they don’t recall them for inspection or replacement, just offer an extended warranty. Not much reassurance when traveling alone, and those who did have one fail ended up paying for a new motorcycle and getting a motorcycle with a partly rebuilt engine.

Yup. Mistakes happen, how they deal with the mistakes is really what's key to me.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
quote "Yup. Mistakes happen, how they deal with the mistakes is really what's key to me."

That was mainly my point, only you said it better. How much happier would the people with KDP or 53 block be if they had all been called back to the dealership for free repair before consumers were even aware of an issue?

Hey, if DC wanted to inspect my truck and possibly give me a brand new engine for free, I sure wouldn't be upset.

Also, a brief run at governed speed will not harm the engine in any way. If it did, I'm sure they would have set the rev limit lower.

I still think if the freeze plug bores were the only issue, DC would have developed special plugs with a sealant or something, or possibly issue dealers a special cutter that a non-machinist could use to correct the bores with the engine in place. Afterall, these are high $$$ engines.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:20 PM

Just checked my build date..... engine 3/31/04 and truck 4/04 **** I got mine 2 weeks ago .... hot off the press... so far my VIN has no recalls or notifications against it...

I have access to Daimler/Chrysler dealership info .. email me your VIN and if I have time I will look it up and send you an email back.... take care

emailrick1@yahoo.com

Rick
Old 05-04-2004, 04:30 PM

Got mine scheduled for next Tuesday. My service advisor was like . I straightened him out. With my luck so far with this truck, it will fail!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:55 PM

The D/C dealership info system just needs the last 9 #'s of the VIN to look-up info correct?

Originally posted by SLICK RICK
Just checked my build date..... engine 3/31/04 and truck 4/04 **** I got mine 2 weeks ago .... hot off the press... so far my VIN has no recalls or notifications against it...

I have access to Daimler/Chrysler dealership info .. email me your VIN and if I have time I will look it up and send you an email back.... take care

emailrick1@yahoo.com

Rick

Quick Reply: More troubles for the 600????? - >