3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

More troubles for the 600????? - >

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work on japanese vehicles for a living .I used to work an all makes and models and can tell you about most of the inherent problems with a certain make or model.I work on japanese cars because there is more money in maintenence then there is in repair.I flat out wont own a domestic car .To much repair period.If an alternative to the big three came around for a diesel truck i would be one of the first to get one.My 600 makes gobs of power but is not reliable since feb. it has been at the service dept. more than i care to mention.It was the replacement for my 03 ho that was bought back .The 03 ho IMHO was a better beast and i should have lived with the issues it still had .I have now started buy back paper work on the 600.Do i give dodge /cummins one more chance ?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:37 AM

Just sent an email to my dealer asking if my VIN is affected.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 AM

600 freeze plug selective recall

I went to my dealership this morning and found out the my truck was on the list and they just hadn't called me yet. I have it scheduled to be tested this coming week. I asked the dealer how many has he found so far with the problem and he said "none so far" . I had bad luck with Ford and GM on my last 2 vehicles, so I thought what the hell, I'll give Dodge a try. I have learned they all have problems. I believe the difference will be which one stands behind their product. So far my experience has been that GM and Ford don't. I'm hoping that Dodge does.

2004.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC LWB ST , 6 speed 325/600 engine, built in 01/04
Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by SharpLikeStump

Mechanical goods are subject to mechanical failure.

When you look at all the processes it takes to create one of these trucks things are going to happen. One thing I've learned while flying for the past 16 years, is that when you have humans involved in the process of anything you are bound to have some kind of problem because no one is perfect. A leaking O ring brought down a space shuttle and look at how that thing is maintained and how much it costs. I still believe this is the best truck out there and if Dodge will stand behind it and make it right, I'll come back. By the way I got a call yesterday regarding this problem. They are calling it a "Service Action".
Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 AM

A leaking O ring brought down a space shuttle and look at how that thing is maintained and how much it costs.
I was actually thinking of this same analogy yesterday. You are correct - a machine is only as strong as it's weakest link. However, the shuttle o-ring issue was a design flaw, I believe, not a manufacturing flaw. We don't know (yet) which one this will turn out to be. There is an ongoing post over on TDR which give some additional information.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:48 AM

I took my truck into the dealer yesterday for the test.
It passed, no leak.

--Justin
Old 04-29-2004, 11:48 AM

Few things:

The 600 is the same block as the 555. So while it may affect trucks built when the motors came in "600" trim it's not related to the changes for more power or better emissions.

Mistakes happen, how those mistakes are handled is another matter. You folks seem hard to please. Your trucks vibrate and it's a coverup, Dodge won't listen, they aren't doing enough. It's a plague.

But they find a problem, and want to check your truck to make sure it doesn't affect you. Be a bit proactive. Get to it BEFORE it's a problem. And I see complaints too.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:14 PM

I think we ALL appreciate the fact that Dodge IS being proactive. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to be a little perturbed that after dropping $40 large on a truck (into BMW and Mercedes price category, and, I know, I know, those brands have problems too) that there is a relatively minor issues which could warrant engine replacement. That is MAJOR.

Yes, Dodge is stepping up to the plate, more than other manufacturers do. However, this is still a serious issue which, IMO, should not have happened in the first place. Yes, it's an imperfect world, and it has happened. So, we deal with it, and go on.

But, I reserve the right to b**** about it!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:15 PM

My truck also passed with no coolant leaks this morning. Four new ones sitting on the lot at the dealer waiting for different freeze plugs. At least they did not get to new owners.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:32 PM

I got the call from my dealer a few minutes ago. It's going in on Monday to be tested on Tuesday.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 PM

Scott you might have seen my post over on TDR. I called my service writer and informed him about what Cummins says about higher mileage "new" trucks, and not needing the test. He still wants my truck in there. So, mine's going in on Monday as well. Guess we're on the same schedule with our trucks again. Hope we get them back with a passing grade.

David
Old 04-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Guess we're on the same schedule with our trucks again. Hope we get them back with a passing grade.
I hear ya. David.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by wexman
I think we ALL appreciate the fact that Dodge IS being proactive. That doesn't mean we aren't allowed to be a little perturbed that after dropping $40 large on a truck (into BMW and Mercedes price category, and, I know, I know, those brands have problems too) that there is a relatively minor issues which could warrant engine replacement. That is MAJOR.

Yes, Dodge is stepping up to the plate, more than other manufacturers do. However, this is still a serious issue which, IMO, should not have happened in the first place. Yes, it's an imperfect world, and it has happened. So, we deal with it, and go on.

But, I reserve the right to b**** about it!
to bad DC didnt nip the #53 block issue in the bud
Old 04-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

Wow! Just called my dealer and they said they tested my truck before I took delivery. They said it passed the test....phew....now I'm a bit nervous for the future...

BTW truck build date 3-26-04
Old 04-29-2004, 05:58 PM

Four new ones sitting on the lot at the dealer waiting for different freeze plugs.
That's a significant number.

Wow! Just called my dealer and they said they tested my truck before I took delivery. They said it passed the test....phew....now I'm a bit nervous for the future...
Brad, they must be testing ALL trucks new trucks regardless of build date.

Quick Reply: More troubles for the 600????? - >