3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Maintenance for sitting truck.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maintenance for sitting truck.

I'm going to be deploying next month and the truck will be sitting for 7 months. I need to change the fluids (oil, trans, diff's). Should I change them before I leave or wait until I get back? Or will it not make a difference? Thanks

Brandon
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 AM

If you've driven the truck since the last oil change, I'd do it again so it is fresh so that acid in the oil won't bother the bearings. Other than that, I'd leave the rest alone.

If the rest of the fluids are due to be replaced, wait til you get back.

Top off the fuel tank to reduce condensation.

If you are headed to the big sandbox, keep you head down, stay safe and thank-you.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Along with what's been said.... I would look for a fuel stabilizer for diesel, and see if you can find someone you trust to start the truck and maybe drive it until warmed up once every two weeks or so.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 AM

I was just going to suggest that, if you have a friend or family you trust, probably wouldn't hurt to have them drive it weekly or so to getit up to running temp. Thanks for your service!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM

get a battery tender

Highly recommend you get a battery tender (yes, that exact brand name). If the truck will be parked anywhere near an electrical outlet, you can hook this lil tender up to the truck, and just trail the cord out of the engine compartment from underneath. Batteries will both stay fresh and charged and healthy, not sulfated and low from sitting. I've had one of these devices hooked up to a 7 yr old harley davidson battery in my jet ski. 7 yrs old! Batteries arent even supposed to last that long! This battery tender thing extends their life.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 PM

On my last deployment at the sand box for a little over 4 months, I did nothing and the truck parked without being started not even once. When I returned I expected to have two dead batteries. To my surprice, the truck started on the first crank. I'm heading out again so I might see you there.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
In 7 months, though, I agree that a Battery Tender would be a good idea, if you have a power source. Even if it starts, batteries will self-discharge somewhat during that length of time, and sitting partly discharged is hard on automotive type batteries. They make a waterproof/outdoor one.

Otherwise, I think I'd hit it with a good coat of wax, and fresh oil and filter.

Full of fuel so there wouldn't be any room for condensation makes sense.

Lastly, I've always been told that an engine in storage should either be run every month long enough with a load to reach operating temp for 30 minutes, or not run at all. I think the theory is that a brief run just fluctuates temps enough to promote condensation and blow by contamination in the crank case, where as 30 minutes with a load on the engine will get the oil hot enough to drive off any water...

Anyhow, assuming you guys are in military service, I wanted to close with a Thank You! and be safe.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Disconnect batteries to reduce discharge.
Change engine oil, to remove acids built up.
Tires off ground and reduce air pressure.
Flush brake system and or replace brake fluid.
A good wax job and truck covered if inside.
Don't start engine for a seven month tour.
Thank you for your service to our country and me.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 AM

I agree you should prep your truck for long time storage. However, I just did not have time to do it on my last deployment. It was a short notice they told me two days before I had to go...got to give it to the government.

Yes sir over 22 years of military service many deployemnet to the sand box later, I believe this coming will be my last and will retire...just getting too old for this stuff so I'll give it up for the young kids that will follow and replace me. My wife and kids are also getting tired of me being gone all the time. Besides, once I retire I'll have more time to wrench on my truck.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Thanks again for your service. We routinely leave our truck for up to six months. For good or bad, all we do now is make sure we put some Wal-Mart fuel stabilizer in and fill the tank, disconnect the batts (didn’t used to do even that), crack the windows a hair and nowadays we cover the cab up with a tarp. Its worked for the last five years and the original batts are still great.