3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

In my earlier post I stated that my tranny packed it in....in actual fact the dealer dropped the tranny, it was fine...the culprit was no differential fluid which caused the rear axcle to seize and chew up the gears.<br><br>Please check your diffential fluids......DC is blaming the for an improper PDI and claiming this is not a warranty issue ???<br><br>The truck was 4 days old.....looks like parts will be 5 to 6 weeks getting here.....I am not impressed...asked for my money back...no go....they gave me a mini-van tomorrow they can take that and shove it....if I am making a monthly payment on a Ram deisel...I want a Ram deisel to drive and nothing less <br><br>Take care guys and I will keep you posted<br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-04-2002, 04:54 PM

Re: Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

MY DIFF IS LOW!!! , over?<br><br>After I read your post at TDR, and knowing of Phils plight, I figured I'd check mine.<br><br>I don't even feel like driving it over to the dealer right now. The plug was clean, &amp; no noise. I'll just pick some fluid for it tomorrow and fill it up. Then I'll give the bill to my dealer.<br><br>You know, I did call my dealer, but unfortunately no one was there to answer my questions (and Concern), but the fella on the phone said that I should be able to dip my finger into it with the plug removed. nope, nadda.<br><br>Hopefully I caught it in time. I feel like I owe someone at this site a beer. Jack?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

As I watch the number of views increase on this thread, I would stongly advise you folks with an '03 to go get your 3/8 socket drive and put on some work clothes and get underneath your truck, open it up and look for yourselves.<br><br>I needed a flashlight, and it took less than 3 minutes.<br><br>Guess I'll check the front diff later just to be safe - my son has a HS football game in a few.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:12 PM

Re:Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

bulabua:<br><br>Make sure you use the new lubricant for the anti-slip if it is required.....otherwise they may not cover your warrenty<br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-04-2002, 05:41 PM

Sorry to hear about the rearend. There can be no excuse for that &gt; I had a similar situation on a new 74 (?) Plymouth Trailduster. The finger pointing between the dealership and Chysler soured me soo bad, I have not had another Chrysler product since. I sure hope I have not made a mistake on this one. Please keep us informed.<br><br>The Boss Hog
Old 11-04-2002, 07:24 PM

Wantabee, sorry about your rear end. Mine came 1 1/2 quarts low on differential lubricant. I posted this last week on this forum. Local dealer topped it with 1 1/2 synthetic GL-5 American axles do not require a limited slip additive. Rear end whine becomes extremely loud between 65 &amp; 70. According to diagnostic chart, it is the rear drive pinion bearing which is making noise. Other bearings are probably affected. Tell your dealer about mine as it is a manufacturing problem, not dealer problem.

Wife gave dinner call, had to run for awhile. If you find your Rear axle is low go to dealer for fluid. They will fill out a work order with your VIN and mileage. It becomes a matter of record if you have future problems. Evidence that it was delivered without the necessary synthetic GL-5. Besides the synthetic GL-5 is expensive filling is part of drive train warranty, not maintenance.

I am contacting my selling dealer with this information on low rear axle lube being a problem. This may prevent future problems on some yet unsold vehicles. :'( :'(
Old 11-04-2002, 07:54 PM

Wantabee &amp; Bulabula, which rear axle do you have 3.73 or 4.10?<br>Is it all axles or just one ratio? <br> ??? ???
Old 11-04-2002, 08:32 PM

I've got 4.10 Anti-slip. I just checked both diff's. The front is ok, and I figure the rear is maybe a little low but fortunately not &quot;dry&quot;. The tip of my pinky is wet when stuck into the hole. It helps that I have 4x4 so the truck is high enough that I can actually get up in there and look into the fill plug and see the fluid.<br><br>I've talked to my dealer, and am debating if its worth my while to take a day off of work to have them look at it, or just top it off myself.<br><br>Both plugs had a light film on the magnets.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:10 AM

Phil and wannabee<br><br>Ok, wannabee has a rear end out on an auto tranny? Correct?<br><br>And Phil has no problem with his end? correct?<br><br>Let's get the record straight here gentleman, you are worrying all us new time owners and prospective owners.<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-05-2002, 06:15 AM

My rear end is a 3.73 in a auto tranny...but the tranny is fine<br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 AM

My rear end has serious problems too, some damage, to at least rear drive drive pinion bearing from the sound of it. I have appt. with local dealer for warranty repairs. Mine is not urgent like Wantabee's as it is still driveable.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:42 AM

WOW! Have all you guys called the customer service folks here in detroit? ??? <br><br>Tony
Old 11-05-2002, 07:59 AM

Re:****Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

I have a automatic 3.73 gears. And that thing was bone dry. I called my selling dealer and he is like BS, I said Don i have been working on cars for years and this is bone dry. I could not even get my pinky wet, but I did scrap the gears so there is some fluid present in the housing. So I am going to have it serviced and have them pull the cover to make sure there is no damage. I figure it should be ok. I only have 102 m/ks on it. <br>They give me any I will lodge a big enough complaint against the dealer and have a bunch of friends call in complaints to the division that maybe we can get it bad enough so that they can loose there 5 star dealer rating.. This Dodge is putting a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:24 AM

Boys:<br><br>This problem is obviously much larger than we may realize. What I have done is called the customer assisatnce line to open uo a file for future reference incase of complications 30 to 40 G's down the road. I also suggested that they do an immediate recall on these american axles to check the lubricant level...as it is a safety concern....my wheel studs cracked off when the the gears and side axle seized...lucky we were not in an accident <br><br>The more we complain...the quicker they should get their act straightened out!!!! I will keep you posted on the progess on my situation.<br><br>Regards and best of luck<br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-05-2002, 08:28 AM

One more pont:<br><br>In my case Chrysler is pointuing the finger at the dealer for completion of an improper PDI....obviously DC is attempting to pass the buck...the problem is at the factory....just my thoughts....voice your concerns to the dealer and call the customer assistance line!!<br><br>Wantabee

Quick Reply: Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant