3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:****Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

RAMMANX2,<br><br>This is my opinion based on discussion and research;<br><br>I too found my diffs low on fluid as well as the transfer case: this was at 120 miles after reading about it on this forum. The low fluid concerned me greatly and being the picky, **** retentive person that I am who is mechanically inclined, I went on a mission to find the truth.<br><br>I took it to the dealer and got basically the same answer as you did plus they said that they could not top it off as they did not have the right gear oil. They also said that if too full it would blow the seals! I got a tag from them saying that it was low for warranty purposes, but did not have them touch it.<br><br>I then talked with several independent mechanics with 30+ years experience each, one who is Dodge certified and used to work at the dealership. They both said that the proper fill for any diff is to the bottom of the fill hole unless it has a dipstick to otherwise measure it. That is why the fill hole is where it is at on the cover. Basically it would be nearly impossible to overfill the diff unless you pumped it in with the fill hole sealed. A GM mechanic tells me that the standard on the AAM axle (same axle as ours) is to the bottom of the fill hole as far as GM is concerned.<br><br>Given all of this I topped everything off myself, had no leaks as a result and nothing coming out the breathers.<br><br>At 1700 miles I dumped all fluids and filled them with a high tech synthetic (75w-90 in the diffs, 75w-80 in the trans, and ATF in the tcase) (you would not believe how dirty the oil is from breakin). When I did the diffs, I pulled the covers and let it drain, the I jacked up one side at a time so the oil would run out the axle tubes. I then cleaned everything and replaced the oil. I then drove the truck around about 20 miles and rechecked. Added a little bit to each diff after the fluid worked its way out to the end the of the axle tubes and now it just right at the bottom of the fill hole.<br><br>It is my theory that when they filled the diffs at the factory they pumped it in with a machine till it ran out the fill hole and then plugged it without ever checking it again. When the oil settled out to the ends of the axle tubes, the fill level was then low to varying degrees because of the inconsistent fill process with the pump.<br><br>I really believe (and many others do too) that if AAM meant for the axle to be filled to any level other than the bottom of the fill hole then they would have moved the fill hole up or down accordingly as this is the only real form of telling how much is in there. <br><br>By the way, with these axles it is really easy to see when it is properly at the bottom of the fill hole by shining a pen light in there. Sticking your finger in there is not reliable as it is really hard to tell where the oil is at due to its viscosity.<br><br>Hope this helps and good luck with your ride!<br><br>CTDCAL
Old 01-09-2003, 08:29 PM

03ho,<br><br>You don't need limited slip additive in the AAM, won't hurt anything, but when you change the oil out, save yourself some money and don't put it in. The type of limited slip these axles have do not require the additive due to design (no clutches).<br><br>CTDCAL
Old 01-13-2003, 01:01 PM

<br><br>UPDATE:<br><br>I CALLED AMERICAN AXLE ABOUT THIS ISSUE. I SPOKE TO A REP WHO VERIFIED WITH HIS AAM ENGINEERS ON WHAT THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE IN THE DC 10.5/11.5 AXLES. THE FLUID LEVEL IS SUPPOSED TO BE WITHIN 5/8 INCH OF THE FILLER HOLE WHICH WOULD ALLOW THE TRADITIONAL &quot;PINKY TEST&quot;.<br><br>AAM HAS ISSUED A BULLETIN TO DC BUT ACCORDING TO MY DEALER, THEY HAVE NOT SEEN THIS BULLETIN. THE DEALER IS CONCERNED THAT IMPROPER FLUID WILL JUST BE ADDED TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE. THE PROPER SYNTHETIC FLUID SHOULD ONLY BE USED.<br><br>I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE AND I APPRECIATE THE &quot;HEADS-UP&quot; I GOT HERE ON THIS FORUM.<br><br>GOOD DRIVIN' TO Y'ALL!! :<br><br>RAMMANX2<br><br>
Old 01-15-2003, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm sure you saved me a MAJOR problem down the road. <br><br>I checked the differentials last night on my new truck (less than 2.5k miles) and both were low. I couldn't touch fluid in the rear or front with my little finger. The owners manual says the fluid should be approximately .25 inches below the fill hole. I put about 1.5 qts. in the rear and .25 qts. in the front to meet this fluid specification. <br><br>While I was under the truck filling the differentials my neighbor asked me what I was doing. I told him about the low fluid levels in the differentials and he commented he had the exact same problem with his 1999 Dodge 3500 dulley (V10) when it was new. <br><br>Sounds like this isn't a new problem. Maybe Dodge is just saving a quart or so (and a little money) on each truck by not filling them up to the fill hole.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:43 AM

Icebox<br><br>Hopefully you put the &quot;correct&quot; fluid in, or you can kiss your $$s bye, and your warranty too!<br><br>Shoulda gone right to the dealer with it, read the fine print on your warranty.<br><br>Hunter
Old 01-16-2003, 07:26 AM

More info on fluid:<br><br>When told my dealer Service Manager about changing the fluid, his only concern was that I used the right stuff, i.e. synthetic, according to what the book called for, which was a GL-5 rating fluid.<br><br>Also, AAM assembles the axles and differentials using their own quality assurance system. DC factories do not re-inspect them.<br><br>According to my dealer SMgr., the differential check is no longer on the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) check-list.<br><br>I am willing to bet the problem is very simple. Something like the factory Differential Filler Person, which is actually a robot as I recall, is pumping the fluid so fast into the differential that when the 5/8 inch from hole level is reached, pumping stops. Then the fluid begins to settle into the axle shafts, lowering the level of fluid to below normal. Or, the filler nozzle is inserted too deeply causing pre-mature shut-off. At any rate, the level is never checked again. <br><br>The problem is too common not to have some simple systemic and faulty process cause.<br><br>Just my 2 cents worth.<br><br>RAMMANX2
Old 01-16-2003, 09:26 AM

Hunter,

Thanks for your feedback I appreciated your comments.

I was very concerned about the warranty so I took the vehicle to the dealer to be checked and go on record that there was a problem with the fluid level. He said there was fluid in the rear differential (he could see it with a flashlight)and that the level was OK. When I got home I checked the level again to see if the dealer had topped it off. They didn't! So, I purchased the right specification fluid and topped the level off myself according to the owners manual. Hopefully, that's the end of this saga and I encounter no failures down the road.