3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looks like I have a Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looks like I have a Problem

I got into an accident about a month ago. Just got the truck back. Everything was fine when I dorve it home. I didn't floor it though. This morning on my way to work i hit it pretty good. I am hearing a whistle or something only when I get on it. When I'm just driving normal it doesn't do it. Could it be the intake or something with the plumbing? It sounds like something isn't connected all the way. I looked at the intake and it looks like it is fine. i will take a better look at it when I get home. Can you please give me places to look. Thx.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM

From description, you have a leak at intercooler hose connections.
If truck was hit in front end could have damaged the intecooler, tubes, and hoses.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 AM

try tightening the clamps on your intake tube where it connects to your turbo
Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try and look when I get home. I will check the intercooler connections first and move onto the intake. Anything else i should look for? Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont find anything in the intercooler lines and intake, look at your boot guage tube. Got my truck back from the shop one day and had a it had a whistle all the way home, look at my boost guage under full throtle I had no boost, get home pop the hood and found the tube just folded back under acouple other wires.
JW
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Well I got home and checked all connections. All connections seemed fine. Checked for cracks and didn't see any. Took truck for a drive, and its still there. It seems it is coming from the air vents, like a whowl or something. It is pretty loud when you get on it. Any suggestions? They did replace the AC condenser if that helps any. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM

forgot to add that I looked at the boost gauge wire. It seemed fine also.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 PM

My first response would be to take it back to the place who did the work for you--- no reason to search on your own when you paid someone to fix it for you.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by AR4CE
My first response would be to take it back to the place who did the work for you--- no reason to search on your own when you paid someone to fix it for you.
I agree, It might be a pain to take it in, but the longer you wait the more likely they will say it's not their problem!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 AM

The only problem with taking it in to where i got it fixed is that they know nothing about diesels and performance. They are just a body shop. I rather bring it to a place that knows alittle bit about both. It sounds like it coming from in the dash area. It happens when I reach 10PSI and above. It sounds like when you take air out of a balloon slowly. I'm starting to think its one of the guages. Can it be either the boost or the EGT, or just the boost? I'm not loosing any power and the boost guage is still working. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 AM

You take it back to whom did the repairs and see if they need to sub it out or want you to take it eleswhere.But first back to whom just worked on it.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Maybe they just damaged your boost guage tube somewhere along its route? If the sounds is coming from the inside under boost, did you check the small tube inside the cab for bends or cuts?

I remember someone else having an exhaust leak that whistled like you describe also. I cannot remember if it was a crack or just leaking by the gasket but it did whistle.