3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift Pump Dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump Dead

Here's another one for the Gen 3's. Died a few days ago. Good news is that the truck still runs and drives fine, providing I don't floor it or tow. Dealer checked pump and it's dead. Also had code "P0628" pop up. Getting new pump.

This is obviously a problem that won't go away. Cummins/DC need to address this. They blame it on the fuel, but I see many other diesels running just fine. I say it's poor design, nothing else.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:17 PM

Don't go and blame it on the design. You are running an EDGE EZ. As far as I know there has not been any reports of the lift pumps going bad on trucks except those that have been chipped or getting bad fuel or gasoline by mistake.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:37 PM

As a previous owner of 2 2nd gens, I am already starting to save my pennies for aftermarket help.....

And I seriously doubt that an EZ or bad fuel can be pegged as the cause. There was some interesting reading here and on other sites about this.

Hopefully not as problematic as the predecessor was, but at least there is no VP-44 downstream on these motors.

Matt
Old 09-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned

I wouldn't blame it on the ez. My 01 stock came from the factory with a dead lift pump. The second one they put on was dead off the shelf.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM

Re: Lift Pump Dead

Originally posted by redram
This is obviously a problem that won't go away. Cummins/DC need to address this. They blame it on the fuel, but I see many other diesels running just fine. I say it's poor design, nothing else.
My "poorly designed" pump is running fine too; as are the vast majority of the trucks out there.

If I couldn't tow with it or floor it; I wouldn't call that driving ability - good news.

Since you say its due to a poor design, maybe you could contribute to the solution and make some fix recommendations to Cummins?

The "good news" is that I'm sure DC is fixing/replacing your pump under warranty ..... There might be some down-time and a little inconvenience; but sometimes production items fail, and thats why there are warranties.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From the other sites it seems that most of the dead lift pumps are up in Canada. Cummins did a study and it was the fuel causing the failure. Supposedly Cummins redesigned the lift pump to fix the issue.

MikeyB
Old 09-10-2004, 07:15 AM

Mikey, was there any recommendation from Cummins on those other sites on what to do if one finds themself burning Canadian fuel with an older designed pump?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bulabula,
I don't think so. If I remember correctly is that Cummins found the fuel samples taken having a positive charge which caused an early death to the electric motor in the pump. Most of the failures happened during the winter months which would mean #1 diesel is being used.

MikeyB
Old 09-10-2004, 08:15 AM

bulabula-What I meant by "good news" is that the truck can still be driven to the nearest dealer/Cummins in case this happens in the middle of nowhere.
Cummins tech also said there should be no damage to CP3 while driving with dead LP.
No one here is aware of a modfied version, unless Cummins just did it without changing part numbers or posting a buletin.
BTW, both dealer and Cummins know of the box and both say that's not what caused it.
Cummins tech said fuel system should have a pump beside tank, not along engine.
Maybe I jumped the gun a bit, but hopefully we won't have problems like the Gen2's.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:18 PM

Mine has been acting up for a while and yes it started before the boxes. Just waiting on Scotty's adapter to add my own pusher pump...

-Richard
Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 PM

FWIW - there is enough information about the 2nd gen LP's to fill a small warehouse floating around out there. One thread in particular on the TDR is amazing.....bad fuel, new low sulfur fuel, hot days, cold days, boxes, monster injectors, totally stock, 5 miles, 150,000 miles..... Then there are the aftermarket product discussions... Make sure you gots plenty of coffee if you decide to research it all.

For the most part, based upon my experience with the stock 2nd gen LP's and failures, all you get from the folks at Cummins, Daimler, or Carter is a gratuitous pat on the head and a finger pointing exercise.

Bottom line to us is that it is a problem, and it is our problem.

Me personally, I am looking at the Air Dog, RASP, FASS type solutions.

Take care guys, and we are in this together! It is frustrating though.

Matt
Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Tob
Muted User

What are the symptoms of a bad lift pump for those of us who don't have fuel line pressure gauges? And could it be flakey pumps that are causing intermittent injector knocking / ticking (perhaps from not enough fuel)?
Old 09-13-2004, 05:16 AM

One discussion on the lift pump failure has been that it appears that most of the failures are in the far north.Lots of posts from Canada about this on many of the diesel sites.Fuel additives/blend for cold weather/climate have been discussed.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:57 AM

Scotty's plate will be my choice!

Quick Reply: Lift Pump Dead