3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaking Fuel Return Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Fuel Return Line

does anyone know if the banjo fitting on the fuel return line is removed during an injector flow test/injector replacement, or pressure relief valve replacement? mine blew off, causing fuel to spray EVERYWHERE and i'm trying to figure out if it just happened on it's own or it's something the dealer caused.

TIA
Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Which portion of the return line? If I'm not mistaken, there's a drain tap at the back of the head for the injector drain, and there's also the rail drain (rail pressure relief valve drain), then there's also the CP3 drain all plumbed into the return.

If a banjo blew completely off, I'd be willing to bet it was never threaded in more than a thread or two--never mind being torqued to spec.

An injector flow test would typically involve removing the injector drain line and using it as a test port. Fuel in=fuel out. Therefore, (fuel into CP3)-(fuel flow at drain)= injector fuel flow.

Presure relief replacement wouldn't necessarily involve any kind of testing. It's just a straight up R&R, so the only way that can cause a blowout is a combination of a stuck rail blow-off leading to overpressure AND a loose banjo fitting at the same time....

Hope this helps.

Justin
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Which portion of the return line? If I'm not mistaken, there's a drain tap at the back of the head for the injector drain, and there's also the rail drain (rail pressure relief valve drain), then there's also the CP3 drain all plumbed into the return.

If a banjo blew completely off, I'd be willing to bet it was never threaded in more than a thread or two--never mind being torqued to spec.

An injector flow test would typically involve removing the injector drain line and using it as a test port. Fuel in=fuel out. Therefore, (fuel into CP3)-(fuel flow at drain)= injector fuel flow.

Presure relief replacement wouldn't necessarily involve any kind of testing. It's just a straight up R&R, so the only way that can cause a blowout is a combination of a stuck rail blow-off leading to overpressure AND a loose banjo fitting at the same time....

Hope this helps.

Justin
thanks justin.
i'm pretty sure they forgot to tighten it when they tested and replaced 2 injectors, and let me tell you what a MASSIVE mess it caused- fuel everywhere!
the dealer is picking up the tab for a full detailing and tank of fuel.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 PM

I had a fuel return line break on Cal. coast road towing a Fiver. Cost me a lot of fuel before I reached L.A. Line broke by a bolt hole. Seems this occurs often. I had fuel all over engine compartment, beneath truck, back of truck and all over the front of my Fiver. If it had been gasoline I would have had a new truck and trailer.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by El Borrego
I had a fuel return line break on Cal. coast road towing a Fiver. Cost me a lot of fuel before I reached L.A. Line broke by a bolt hole. Seems this occurs often. I had fuel all over engine compartment, beneath truck, back of truck and all over the front of my Fiver. If it had been gasoline I would have had a new truck and trailer.
that sounds EXACTLY like what my truck looked like! i had fuel in those same exact places, and man what a mess! plus, i was feeling a little weird from inhaling all that fuel- i don't know how guys who inhale gas, glue, and stuff like that to get high, do it.