3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just a suggestion & thanks Jbondy

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a suggestion & thanks Jbody

I have been Bit%#ing quite a bit about mechanics and poor service lately and last year around New years but need to clarify a few things.
First-- I was a dealer mechanic, back in the early days when you tried parts and used common sense to repair things. (in the 60 & 70's)

Second-- There are good mechanics and poor mechanics today but many more poor than the few really good ones.

Third--Wish Dodge would hire a few good and I mean good Cummins trained mechanics and put at least 1 in each major metropolitan area and pay them a decent wage, from Dodge, not the dealership and refer buyers to them including poaying to tow disabled trucks to them if major problems araise.

fourth--create a complaint site/area where we as consumers can complain and be heard, not stuffed under the carpet. Maybe compile a list of dealer complaints and if a dealer is on the list too many times make it financially costly to the dealer to give him/her an incentive to satisfy the customer.

I know the mechanics are underpaid, but if you as a mechanic are uncomfortable doing a job why can't you get some assistance rather than do it half a$$ed and disgust the consumer.

This weekend after having an injector replaced monday I had to replug in wiring harness that were just hanging there instead of being replaced back into the frame mounts as the "Mechanic" didn't bother and try to finish cleaning up the oil/fuel damage from my leaky injector. I know this is a more than once in a while problem so why dosen't Dodge admit that clean up is part of the repair and pay enough for the mechanic or dealership to completely clean up the damage caused by Dodges defective part. My truck still stinks from the diesel fuel oil combination still all over the underside of the truck and exaust system. I know the mechanics don't get paid for all the time required to repair and clean up from this item.

Another example, when the Mich dealer screwed up my truck this past Jan I was told cost to repair would be over $1600 and I was to pay. When I complained and the 2 district managers got done the Mi dealer paid the Flordia dealer slightly over $1100 including $200 for the rental car included. My guess is again the mechanic took the short straw and the Mi dealer got off the hook for nada.

Jbody you are probably the exception and I greatly appreciate the suggestions and even the admission of sometimes making a mistake but I think that lately many of the dealerships hire just anybody, half a$$ed train them then put them out as mechanics. They might do ok on parts exchangers if the computer diagnoises a problem but otherwise they are useless and don't use or have any common sense and they don't care other than to make a paycheck. Remember if the dealer can't service what they sell they can't sell so they want to have busy looking service bays.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but needed to vent my frustrations a little.

Remember I'm not done with my problems yet, still waiting for my Damlier Chrysler call and hope I burn some ears. They received my letter last Friday, got the confirmation post card Saturday.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J body or J bondy?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, corrected to Jbody

Sorry, was tired, I just corrected to Jbody.

Don
Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck Don. I hope you are able to get something done.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donhov,

When I had a Ford I tried to get a site going where people could report how the service went and who the dealer was. I bet it wold turn around the quality of service.

I agree with you about mechanics. But, you know I am underpaid at what I do and I still the best I can. It's in my character and probably your as well.

It's not just Dodge dealers. I read in a dealers magazine where Ford is loosing 500 master mechanics a year because it won't let them properly service vehicles or get paid.

One example is a customer gets an EGR code. The mechanic has to change the EGR because the procedure says so and has 15 minutes. The customer comes back a week later with same code. The mechanic knows it's something else, can't get the time to troubleshoot. So, he has to change the EGR again in 15 min. So, poor repair and unhappy customer.