3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Jumping from Park into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumping from Park into Reverse

Hello,
Last week I found information on this forum regarding 2004.5 Ram 3500 diesel trucks. The problem is that the truck jumps into reverse by itself. I cannot find that info. now. Any help?
I own a 2004.5 Ram 3500 diesel purchased new. A few months ago I was fueling it up. My wife was seated in the passenger seat. I got out to fuel and the truck took off by itself after me being out about 1 minute. Thank God nobody was injured and there was no damage.
Three weeks ago I got out of my truck to give a mail carrier some mail. I had to wait a few minutes for the carrier to come out of a store. My truck was running. All of a sudden it took off heading towards the mail truck in reverse. I ran after it and fell cause serious injury to my shoulder. I have a dislocation and nerve damage.
These truck are dangerous and I understand there are over 50 complaints with the NHTSA and no recall yet. Jeep also had this problem with 5 deaths. The ram has caused injuries and damage but no deaths YET.
Anyone knowing of this problem please e-mail me at inspectorslg@yahoo.com
I'm a home inspector and have been layed up for three weeks now.
Thanks for any help.
Steve
Old 05-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a suggestion to everyone else who reads this thread......

Set your parking brake whenever you exit your truck. Turn it into a habit and stuff like gear selectors moving from Park to Reverse won't matter.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck and wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM

I know what your saying, but the parking brake is not the issue. These trucks should not be doing this.
I have driven Chrysler vehicles for years as a police officer. They never jumped out of park into reverse.
What about the Chrysler Corp. Jeep's killing 5 people with the same problem?
They need a recall, but Chrysler is denying that anything is wrong.
Will they like to say that to a widow, or widower.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:53 PM

I use my E brake alot on this truck cause of the way it feels when you put it in park But you should not have to worry about it comming out out of park. I remember about 20 some years ago ford had a problem with that.My buddy was in a ambulance and the thing backed right in the emergency room.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:47 PM

I too have had my 2004 come out of park,I have noticed sometimes my reverse lights stay on even when in park,it was warming up and I was lucky the truck was backed into the driveway so it backed into the fence which it was close to,thank god..
No damage except a small dent in bumper.
I had this happen with my old 79 Ford F250,but I sure dont expect it to happen to a new truck..
Old 06-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Well, my left wrist has been hurting me since the accident. I mentioned it to my doctor this week and he sent me for X-rays. It's fractured. So now it's my left and right arms with injuries.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:44 PM

Park to reverse

I also had this happen to me. I had it in park and got out of the truck.maybe a minute later it took off backwards into a fence and tree and did $2100 worth of damage. Now I always use the Ebrake when I get out.

Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 01:43 PM

That's not the point, people are getting injured. I hear there were two deaths related to this problem.
Chrysler knows about this issue and have money as a priority over lives and safety. We spent alot of money for these trucks. I know this was my dream truck until now. I'm afraid of it because you never know what's it's going to do. Yes, I do use my emergency brake now. Again, that's not the issue. You should not have to put the brake on to get out of the truck. I've been driving since 1967 and never had a problem with a vehicle like this.
I'm also an ex-police officer who drove Plymouth and Dodge police cars since the early 70's. I never had to put my emergency brake on when I got out of the car on calls or investigated an accident.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:15 PM

We get your point. No one is taking taking your injuries (or anyone else's) lightly. Just for the record, it's called a 'Parking Brake' (not an emergency brake) for good reason, it's supposed to be used when you park. Your vehicle should definitely NOT be putting itself in reverse, but don't bite the heads off of people who are pointing out a proven failsafe.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:24 PM

Bitting heads off, I don't think so. I believe the indicator on my steering column say's PARK.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Take it back into the dealer and tell them you have had a problem.

Even if you say that you came back and the truck was in reverse with the parking brake on.

either way it shouldn't do this. Sounds like an adjustment issue if one of the other guys had his back up lights still on when it was in park.

Good luck

Jason
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 PM

Both time that I had the problem it was still in Park when I looked at it.
This is an ongoing problem with Chrysler. numerous injuries and two deaths reported and no recall.
A few years ago it was Jeep Cherokee's and they killed 5 poeple and injured many before a recall was issued.
I spoke to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration and they say they have received over 60 complaints already on the 2500 and 3500 Ram. All going in reverse on there own.
So go figure, there is something wrong with these trucks and Chrysler don't give a ****.
One injury or one life is too much. It all boils down to money. Recalls cost money.