3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

JET A or No JET A

Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JET A or No JET A

Because of my job and some friends, I may be able to get some JET A. I'm not sure how much I can get or if I can even get it. The question is, can I run my '07 5.9 on it? I can get it for free, but it may only be about 20 gallons a month. I guess it will be more of a blend. We run equipment on it in place of diesel, but that equipment doesn't run a lot or run that hard. JET A is not that much different than Kerosene. The manual says that you can blend #1 diesel and #2 Diesel. Any thoughts on JET gas?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 PM

I've been around it alot. When it gets on your skin it doesn't make it greasy or oily, it dries it out and leaves a white residue. That right there would make me not want to use it because of lack of lubricity. I suppose if you blend it with #2 and dump some 2 stroke in it, it might be fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 PM

i've been adding jet a to my diesel trucks for years now and it causes no problems. runs clean! if it is fuel that has been "sumped" from an airplane allow it to settle and watch out for the last bit you pour in as it probably has water and junk in it! i've put in up to 20 gallons at a time and it runs just like ulsd! feel fortunate that you get it for free.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM

I used to work at sky harbour airport in phoenix fueling private jets for awhile. becareful I have seen alot of water and alot of junk in jet-A. Jet engine's just have the combustion chamber the fuel is injected into so any junk or water is just shot out as the fuel is burnt. There were a couple of guys that I worked with that diesel engine's.

One of them had to replace his filter because he got a bunch of junk in the fuel he pumped.

The other one had to replace 2 injectors.

Other than that they ran just fine
Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a common rail diesel like your truck you really shouldn't run straight Jet A.

However since you get it in such small quantities, 20 gal a month, you could run say 5 gallons to a full tank of diesel with additional lube oil. Even better if you can cut it with Bio diesel.

If its whats drained off from an aircraft tank you certainly should drain your fuel water separator more often. You also should get a 2 micron fuel filter setup. Its a good idea to do this anyway. If not you should at least get the Baldwin 5 micron filter that fits in the stock housing. The best Fleetguard is only 7 micron.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM

My boss ran it state in his 99 for a while and not even 6 to 8 month later his injector pump went out. I ran it in my 97 12 valve strate and couldnt tell a difrence but i sold the truck within a few tank fulls. Not saying like a 20% or so would hert it but be carful.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM

I could get as much as I wanted with in reason, but I just don't have the nerve to run it in such an expensive vehicle that I had to pay for and will have to pay for if I am wrong by doing so. I will mix some in the summer for my diesel Kubota, but thats about it.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 AM

I'd do as mentioned and cut it with bio diesel.

Get a big auxillary fuel tank and you'll only have to mix it periodically.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM

At T-BOE said,

It is very very dry/drying, I would personally not run it unless it was in my "bullet" shop heater because it burns much less fumy!!!!

I'm also partial to blowing, billowing black clouds out the tailpipe............stack
Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Rednecktastic (awsome name by the way) has a good idea i actualy did that mix my bio in 2 tanks under the bed that hold 65 gallons and i pump that into my stocker it works great. hold what i gues 101 gallons under the bed. But if you do that dont use aluminum cause the bio people said itl eat at it i used stainless since i live 50 feet from the ocean
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
I've been around it alot. When it gets on your skin it doesn't make it greasy or oily, it dries it out and leaves a white residue. T
sure your not thinking of AVGAS? 100LL would turn my hands white, but JET-A never did that to me.

were you dealing with JP-8? i herd that stuf was a 50/50 mix of JET-A and AVGAS. it might have been what turned your hands white..... just thinking
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Do a quick search on JP5 / JP8. I have started a few threads on this subject.

Here's a brief overview of what the DTR's finest mines came up with:

Very dry. Ok for P-pumps, not for fuel lubed pumps.

If it's not straight from the tank, i.e., it's drain off, it has lots of water. General idea on this was to store it, then seperate the water after it setteled. JP# whatever is lighter than water BY FAR, so it floats, as it was designed to.

The biggest thing with me is, I do not know how much lube to put to it. I figured on 2 stroke, but how much? Think about how much our fuel system costs, LP and IP, you're lookin at 1500-2k when they take a dump, not to mention injectors/pistons...

What I was thinking of before, and I hit a dead end, was to take a sample of #2 ULSD, a sample of straight JP5, and then start adding percentages of 2 stroke... say 5-10 samples. Then send it in to a lab and ask them which one is as close to regular #2's lubricity. Then, just come up with a forumla. I'm working on it, it's on my to do list. I'd have a thing at the house where I could store and filter it, and mix it to spec. I can get JP5 fairly easily.

??? It's on my to do list. Hope I get to it before I die...