3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intercooler cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler cycling

Hi there,

My knowledge of this system on my truck is very vague. I think I have a problem with something that controls the intercooler fan. When I am sitting at a light and I drive away the intercooler fan will run until the feel the truck shift, then it will go away.
I had this problem before and the dealer changed something when it was in for something else. Well it's back and I am not sure what to look for?
Any help would be great

Thanks

System is stock except a cold air intake.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ollie32
Hi there,

My knowledge of this system on my truck is very vague. I think I have a problem with something that controls the intercooler fan. When I am sitting at a light and I drive away the intercooler fan will run until the feel the truck shift, then it will go away.
I had this problem before and the dealer changed something when it was in for something else. Well it's back and I am not sure what to look for?
Any help would be great

Thanks

System is stock except a cold air intake.
The intercooler that cools the pressurized air from the turbo??
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM

The fan goes crazy sometimes when the engine isn't even working hard. I looked at old records nd they replace the fan module when the same thing occured last time. Not sure why it would be acting up already, only been 9 months. No idea what controls the fan module?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Chapter President

Is it with the A/C on? Cause thats when mine does that.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Typically when you are stopped there isn't enough airflow. That is why the fan engages. After you drive, the airflow increases, and the fan stops ( kind of, it still spins, just not at engine speed ) . I would say normal. All depends on your ambient temperature and if the a/c is on like said above.

*Side note* fill out your sig under the user CP button near the top left of the page. It will help us know what you drive and where about you are located.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks for lettign me know how to enter that info.

I live up in Vancouver,B.C. and it's not hot out. I seriously believe that my truck is getting a faulty temp indication. There is no need for this fan to come on at this time of year in this location. Does anyone know what controls the fan, trace it back a bit further.
thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fan is controlled by the ecm, which determines the fan duty based on a variety of other informaion. Most likely culprit would be the coolant temp sensor. Near the thermostat housing.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Thanks for lettign me know how to enter that info.

I live up in Vancouver,B.C. and it's not hot out. I seriously believe that my truck is getting a faulty temp indication. There is no need for this fan to come on at this time of year in this location. Does anyone know what controls the fan, trace it back a bit further.
thanks
Keep in mind if you have your heater in either full defrost or defrost and floor mode then the AC will be on to aid with defrosting the windows (removing moisture from inside) If the AC is on the fan will cycle when the AC compressor comes on.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM

My A/C hasn't been on in months, no need for that up in this cold climate.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of the fan cycling is in programming. When I was using the original stock program mine would cycle constantly. After using the Smarty it cycles much less, even during the time when I put the truck back to stock. You might be able to get a reflash from Chrysler. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to answer that question.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM

My A/C hasn't been on in months, no need for that up in this cold climate.
Believe me I understand (3cm of snow last night!) But also keep in mind that anytime you have the heater vent position in defrost or defrost & floor mode the AC is on by default even if the AC button isn't pushed. The defrost always uses AC as well because it removes moisture from the cabin aiding in clearing windows of frost or fog. If in either defrost mode you will get the AC compressor cycling and the fan coming on and off in conjunction.