3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector Knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Knock

My truck has had a knock from day one and I have just wrote it off as low end noise but thats not it. I have followed some talk here and mostly at TDR about it and decided to have it checked. So today I was in town and went by Dodge, well to make a long story short they had no clue about what I was talking about and after fumbleing around with the VRB tool for about an hour ( because they said it was imposible to turn off the injectors one at a time with it) they called STAR who said they knew just what I was talking about and also told them how to turn off the injectors with the VRB. And guess what? Ten minuites later all on their own they figured out that I have two bad injectors #1 which is the one I thought it was but also #5. They ordered the injectors and will call me when they come in and I headed for the ranch. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Also I hope this solves three other misteries I have, sometimes it idles rough when you first start it in morning, oil gets black after only about a 1000 miles, and fuel mileage should be a little better.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 PM

I had a miss from day one . It was bad injectors also . Unfortunatly , it took 5 service trips and sending in the lemon card to get it fixed . They replaced all 6 injectors in mine ( because if they did not get it right , they had to buy it back) . My mileage went up 3 mpg. to 16.5 city , 17-18 hwy depending on right foot . Good luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM

Jerry R,
Mine has all of the symptoms yours has...I have been to the dealer 3 times and they still have not fixed it.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 PM

dwhite , I'm sorry to hear its still not fixed . Just keep taking it back, keep your records, and send in the lemon card after the 4th. attempt . I went through the same thing . My 4th. attempt they kept the truck for 6 days and only changed the fuel filter . Also , make some phone calls ( if you have not already) to the phone # in your owners man. . It gets put noted in the computer with your vin. # . Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:19 PM

A few weeks ago they replaced #1 injector and it made it better but did not fix the problem. DC would only send them 1 injector at a time so today I finally got around to getting the truck back to them and they replaced #5 injector. Well, that was it! Truck now sounds great and even seems to run a little better. Now if it will just get a little better mileage
Old 08-30-2004, 04:31 AM

My dealer replaced all 6 of mine about 15k miles ago and now the knock is back...even worse this go around! Engine rocks at idle, sounds like a rod is about to fall out when accelerating, milage has dropped etc....Crazy thing is it doesn't do it all of the time. When it's not doing it the trucks runs like mad??? Mine is going back to the dealer in the next week or so after I have a few other problems addressed while I'm still under 36k miles.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh these reliable Cummins engines For all you guys with injectors going bad, I'd consider finding a new fuel source. 23,000+psi HPCR injection is very sensitive to particulate matter in the fuel. I personally bought a few $50 fuel test kits from avlube, and it was mindblowing to see the difference in fuel quality between my local stations (all of which sell tons of diesel fuel). One had over 11x the dirt of another...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:32 AM

Unhappy

My trucks #1 injector is also knocking sound come with a drop in mpg, about 1mpg, but I can also feel the injector clicking in the fuel line. The dealer said not to worry, needless to say I will be taking this back to them. I also use fuel from two different sources, some noise. Oh I have 14k on the truck.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 PM

Mine has 2300 miles on it and I think it is doing the same things, maybe not as bad. But I don't know what to do? My mileage is about 16 to 17 highway and about 15 to 15.5 in the city.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 PM

A buddy of mine had a 600, during his travel last week(which strarted in MD through OH to AL) his truck was getting 13 to 9 mpg, finially fuel started leaking down the truck. Bottom line is the injection pump went out, took a week to get the new one from ILL, but now it runs 19-18 mpg and he is not looking at the Fords anymore.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 PM

Jerry,

So, did your mileage get any better, or what?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by samfox737
My trucks #1 injector is also knocking sound come with a drop in mpg, about 1mpg, but I can also feel the injector clicking in the fuel line. The dealer said not to worry, needless to say I will be taking this back to them. I also use fuel from two different sources, some noise. Oh I have 14k on the truck.
You won't notice any difference as far as a bad injector making noise by switching fuels for a tank or two(i'm assuming you meant to type SAME and not SOME). If the injector is already bad, it will knock regardless of fuel quality. I was addressing a possible CAUSE for the ruined injectors. High amounts of particulate matter have been tagged by Cummins and other engine builders as the primary cause of injection system wear and eventual failure.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:41 PM

txhawg,

Can't tell yet. Have only driven about 200 miles since repair. It sure does sound better and seems to run a little better. I'll keep ya posted.

Lightman,
Are you still using the Primrose Powermaster 405 ? I used it in a few tanks and quit because I couldn't tell any difference. I also have a suspicion it may have something to do with the injector failure. By emulsifying water and allowing it to pass rather than imulsifying and having the water seperated at the filter. (I hope I got that right). With the injectors being so sensitive to dirt and water we may be better off not using anything at all.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:59 PM

Jerry, while I'm positive the primrose didn't hurt your injectors, I'll pm you regarding the additives, I don't want to have this thread run away into an additives discussion.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:29 PM

My injectors have been changed twice by the dealership. They blamed it on water in the tank, so it wasn't covered by warranty. Insurance had to pay for it. The first time I had to get all of them replaced and over 12k later another one went bad. I am still fighting with insurance to pay for the second time.

Quick Reply: Injector Knock