3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector cleaner ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector cleaner ???

Hi all I havent tried this yet but I was at wally world and was buying a can of Sea Foam to run through my KTM 525 dirtbike use it once a season to clean out the carb seems to work really good . My question is on the back of the can it states you can use it for diesel engines to clean the injectors , it states for a quick clean to pour enitre can contents into the filter housing and run it ? Has any one tried this and will it ruin the injectors ? Im asking this cause this is were all the gear heads that seem to know whats going on .
Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 PM

I add it about every other oil change when I change my fuel filter no complaints here seems to do its job. I just drain all the diesel then refill with seafoam then drive the crap out of it. A lot of people say this is a no no because it has alcohol in it but I have been using it on all of my trucks with no problems.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 PM

Well I went ahead and tried it , not something i plan on doing every month maybe every other oil change . I can honestly say it made a big difference in the way my truck idles. It really smoothed it out while idleing and seems to have better response while driving . I just drained the filter bowl of diesel and filled it with a full can of Seafoam then reinstalled a new fleetgaurd filter and fired her up had some white smoke then had a funny smell for about a minute then was back to normal .
Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Hope it works but I was told not run anything with alchool. Good Luck
Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 PM

i took my 2004 dually out of warranty for a injector flush at the Cummins dealer they used a BG flush system and it contained alcohol I was told this by theservice tech he said alcohol will hurt the injectors and CP3 injection pump if used all the time . But told me that was the most effective way to clean the injection system . So which is harder on injectors? Carbon or Alcohol
Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06farmtruck
Hope it works but I was told not run anything with alchool. Good Luck
I read that in TDR magazine awhile back. It said anything with alcohol or acetone will cause rapid wear to internal fuel pum and injector parts. Issue 52 page 154 last paragraph.
Mike
###
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bekim
I read that in TDR magazine awhile back. It said anything with alcohol or acetone will cause rapid wear to internal fuel pum and injector parts. Issue 52 page 154 last paragraph.
Mike
###
I wouldn't run straight cleaner through the CP3 and injectors. That's what your doing when you drain the FF canister and put cleaner in it. The cleaner has no lubricity. I'd look for an injector cleaner/lubricity additive that you add to your fuel tank. I use STP.

Nick
Old 01-13-2008, 05:51 PM

i was thinking of doing the seafom thing, got a can sitting on my shelf. now i am unsure. would like to hear what some others have to say about this.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Don't drain the FF completely. I just drain enough fuel to be able to put in the Seafoam and the filter without too much spilling and start it and let it idle. That way the Seafoam is diluted by the fuel and you aren't running pure SF. Just a more concentrated than you would get by diluting it in the 38 gallon fuel tank.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if your run seafoam every once in awhile and use a good additive with lubricity on a regular basis, like 2 cycle oil, howes,etc,etc-you'll be fine. i second what silver 60 said. the last time i was at my local cummins shop picking up parts-a couple of techs with many, many years of experience told me that they use bg products (which contained alcohol -on everything from their personal diesel pick ups, to buses,rv's and big rigs that they work on at the shop. like the saying goes-a little isn"t going to kill you
Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 PM

I hope none of you go to get a professional injection cleaning done at a Dodge Dealer or Cummins dealer . They are gonna drain your fuel filter and pour a cleaning solution that does contain alcohol in your filter housing then there going to run a fush set up on you truck then pour heavy duty cleaners into your tank that also contains alot of alcohol in it . BG , wynns it all has it .
I started this thread to ask about the seafoam and the effects of the use of doing it this way . Im sure prolonged use of alcohol will cause definate damge to your injection system but if its so deadly why does the manufacture use it to clean it ?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 PM

I use Power Service every fill. I've also used Howe's meaner, and MMO(both good). If your going to use Sea Foam once in awhile, why not just dump it in the tank when you fill up??
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM

On my 01 (not nearly as sensitive as these new CR's), when I changed the filter I filled the canister with a can of the BG stuff, and then topped it off with MMO. I worked at a dealer, and all we used was BG stuff. Prolonged use of anything alcohol can prematurely wear injection system parts, simply because it has no lubrication. But on the other side, the cleaners with alcohol are the most aggressive and do the best job. Thats why I added the MMO to dilute the BG cleaner. In my opinion, that makes up for the lack of lubricity.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion. Listen to whatever everyone says, and make a choice of how you want to do it. You just need to run what you think is reasonable.