3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is this?

Need some advice regarding my engine (48K miles on clock). About a month ago, injector #1 blew, and had to be replaced, along with the turbo. The dealership in Georgia that I had to use had no trained diesel techs, and in trying to duplicate crankcase overpressurization, the tech idled the engine for 30 minutes, with nothing for lubrication in the engine but blackened diesel fuel. Once injector and turbo were replaced, truck ran fine until last Tuesday - when injector 6 blew. Towed to my local dealership, waited 3 days for the injector, picked the rig up this morning - work order showed replacement of injector and oil change. Truck ran fine, drove it for about 25 miles (~ 10 miles on highway @ 70-75) - when I pulled in to a parking lot, engine was running rough, and I heard valve clatter and smelled fuel. Checked the dipstick, and discovered NO OIL - only clear #2 diesel. No oil was blown/leaked out the crankcase, certainly not 12 quarts, and the diesel on the stick was crystal clear. Truck has now been towed back to dealer, and I have a meeting Monday AM with the service tech, mechanic, and service manager. I have been calm and restrained, but very blunt, to this point - hopefully that won't have to change.
Now - what do I tell them I want done? My leaning is towards demanding a new engine, and a replacement vehicle for the duration of repair time. The engine will have 6 cold starts with no oil by the time they pull it in the bay Monday AM - they've driven across the lot, into service bay, and back out already, after I had the service writer verify the lack of oil in the engine and record same. Engine fires right up, no codes other than injector related, but idles very rough, and loud valve clatter.
I'm anticipating the dealer will lean towards fixing the remaining injector issue, draining the crankcase, filling with oil, and tell me all is fine as long as it runs OK. The Saturday service writer told me a loaner vehicle is not an issue, they just have to wait until Monday for the rental agency to open.
Am I being unrealistic? Are there things I can ask to have checked without a teardown to verify the need for a new engine? Or should I just stick to my demands as listed above? If the engine is OK, I don't have any problems with that, but I don't see how that can be guaranteed at this point - I use this truck for a LOT of business travel, and can't afford breakdowns.
Any constructive advice is welcome - and if anyone has any tech data that I can use to make my case, I welcome that as well. Sorry for the diatribe, and TIA!
BTW, the computer was checked for signs of overpressurization of the fuel system - no codes, and no pressures above 26K - so I don't think the Quad Race has anything to do with these - just crap injectors combined with lack of attention to detail and some incompetence.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Chapter President

I would stick to the new engine - they have CERTAINLY put it on the path to a very short life; Their mistake, their dime.

Unless diesel has some magical lubricity making it equivalent to Delo400? I would imagine that you have notable cylinder wall and bearing scoring - a complete teardown for verification might be more trouble for them than swapping in a new engine....
Old 01-28-2006, 03:09 PM

There seems to be a LOT of Dodge dealerships without trained Deisel repairman .
Now that they have cut "cummins" out of the available repair options it seems they would have qualified repair personal at their repair facilities.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get an oil analysis done on the fluid in the crankcase. You'll need it in court. There is no way they are going to pay $20,000 for a new CTD without a fight. Get a lawer, now.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:15 PM

That's what's ironic, Herb - the dealership here in Columbia that left out the engine oil has 6 trained and certified diesel techs! The untrained guy in Georgia got away with one, and the trained guy here brain farted on a basic.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:51 PM

I would just wait and see what they had to say, if it not to your likeing, then go get a lawyer. I don't know what a engine cost but I don't believe it is anywhere near 20k. But if I was U I would push for a new engine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Get a lawyer. Get 3 oil samples and send one away. Keep notes of everything that has broke and been repaired. I'd push for a new vehicle and settle for a new engine.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Who paid for injector repairs?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Hound - DC covered both injector repairs under the 5 yr. Cummins engine warranty provision.

Anybody got any ideas on what I need to tell the dealer I'll accept as proof the the engine has not been damaged, or what I need to look for as evidence of damage? Is it possible that the diesel now in the crankcase isn't due to yet another injector failure, but maybe the cylinder walls got scarred sufficiently to allow fuel past the rings? And - a true novice question - could a compression check on the cylinders be used to indicate/rule out damage? On a gasser I could figger this out quickly, but still new enough to the diesel game that I require coaching....
Old 01-28-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Anybody got any ideas on what I need to tell the dealer I'll accept as proof the the engine has not been damaged, or what I need to look for as evidence of damage?
An oil analysis will tell you what metals are in the oil. Without it they WILL say it was the boxes you put on it. If there was abnormal wear it will be in the oil as metal particals.

You will NOT win this by yourself.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by manganos
Get a lawyer. Get 3 oil samples and send one away. Keep notes of everything that has broke and been repaired. I'd push for a new vehicle and settle for a new engine.
I can't believe it!! Buy a new truck, and this is what it comes to. I know that a lot of dealerships, especially smaller (as mentioned above)don't have the diesel mechanics. OK! Get off your royal hignass,and send us to someone who can do the job!!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Geico - Went back and got the samples for analysis this afternoon - but there is no oil in it, it's all diesel fuel that came straight from the oil pan. Clear, no dark color at all - can a regular oil analysis be done on straight diesel fuel? My basic issue with the dealer is that they returned the vehicle to me after repair with no oil in the engine - not a warranty issue.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM

You might take some pictures of the fuel in the crankcase with no oil. Just for added insurance...
Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 AM

1. Get plenty of whatever it is in your crank as a sample and have the service writer, manager and the manager of the dealership sign a form stating that this is what it is.
2. Call Cummins and inform them of the situation and ask them what they would prefer to be done, it's their name on the engine.
3. Verify the tech that 'worked' on your truck is certified to do so, get copies of all certificates.
4. Call the area manager of customer care and legal division for your area, contact an attorney for yourself.
5. Only settle for a new truck, not just engine, engines are cheap to dodge, trucks cost some change(no 'core exchange' or defective replacements) Plus if that mechanic touched anything else it will need replacing too.
6. Keep us posted.
*****Side note, the largest dodge truck dealership in Austin only has one diesel mechanic!!******
Old 01-29-2006, 03:37 AM

"ThEY' won't give a new truck.Engine yes. I'm surprized the mods and box issue wasn't brought up from the get go.If a Rep gets involved and sees evidence of a fueling box its ON the dealer.Bet D.C. will bale out.

Quick Reply: How bad is this?