3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How is 48RE holding up to BOMB'd HO's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:How is 48RE holding up to BOMB'd HO's?

Good Day!
As a scientist, I need functional definitions -- please define, "bombing"?
Old 09-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The term BOMB was coined by our very own Scotty.
(soon to be proud owner of a Black truck I think)

Better
Off
Modified
Baby

Simply put, the addition of Horsepower increasing goodies.
Might also apply to cosmetic modifications as well.

phox
Old 09-06-2003, 11:01 PM

The ECM is a good/bad idea. I guess its not really bad just time consumming. For a couple of reasons. One you cant just buy a new ecm and throw in to go to a dealer, you have to buy one first cause of part id numbers. and just because i saw it the other day on the cummins ISX I had to do an over head on. The ecm records the time stuff happens. not like october 28th at 3:02 pm but at certain hours and what not. WHen you go in and have it checked it will say the truck has been ran for a total of 500 hours. So if you bomb the truck replace the ecm and go in... Theres a couple problems. ONe like i Said you had to make sure you have the origional ecm in the truck. You have to make sure they cant tell its been changed.. and when i said its time consuming youd have to chagne it quite a bit cause you cant take a truck in with 40k miles on it with a crap pump and have the ecm say its been run for 30 hours. but. Id have to check with the instructor to verify this but from the way the laptop looked when we plugged it in It only records so far back, so if you knew you had a problem arrising you might be able to take off all of your chips and life could be good. Just some stuff im seeing. im sure ill get corrected in some parts im not really sure about all this yet like i said i just saw it the other day... So im assuming dodge would be the same as a semi truck?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:07 PM

I spoke to 2 dealers in Los Angeles who told me that unless my modification caused the problem, it is a grey area but should not be a problem with the warranty. The guys from Edge told me that the dealer would not detect the EZ on the computer. I guess we will see when something happens..........
Old 09-07-2003, 10:57 PM

as a dealer technician myself i can tell you if the box isnt hooked up when the vehicle is brought in the warr . will not be voided . if a trans or rearend goes poophouse. one of the last things i have time to do is scan the engine for codes.my 2000 chevy pos was lifted, chipped, intake and exhaust modified . when the valve springs broke on two cyl. they never batted an eye . when the dealer says we will void your warranty its a money thing dodge pays less an hour to fix the vehicle than you do . when they say no remember its not there final awnswer only there first one
Old 09-08-2003, 10:18 AM

The biggest problem with the Magnussen-Moss Act is that it's great in theory but rarely happens in practice. Dealers, like somebody said, won't go to bat for you. DC will deny stuff knowing full well they can't legally do it, and it's because you now have to go spend the money on a lawyer to fight it. This is where we need some additional legislation to try to curb this... I don't know what kind yet, but I've been giving it a lot of thought.

As for the computer spy, it seems to me that if we had access to one of their diagnostic tools, something similar to GM's Tech II, that the computer's record of any of those changes could be purged.

I know somebody had been working on a computer link for the ISB a while back, where you could plug in a laptop or maybe even a Palm Pilot to do stuff, but I don't know whatever became of it. Something like that could be ideal.

Rob