3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

high idle flash??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Maybe, maybe not. The ECU is capable and if your flash update is later than Dec 2003 its already there.

The problem is activating it with the cruise buttons. Not all of CC's would correctly activate the high idle.
it is a no go for 03.............. I have not seen any work in 03
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob4x4
it is a no go for 03.............. I have not seen any work in 03
Have you followed the TSB's and verified it doesn't work and why?

Even the Cummins ECU is capable of high idle all the way back to the 98.5 models when they were used in wreckers and rollbacks.

The interface seems to be the probem activating it. What does the Dodge flash for the ECU require for activation? Considering all the rest of the manipulations we do its kinda funny that this just gets shelved when it comes up. Just not an important enough item to warrant attention I guess.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Anyone with an 03 get the dealer to make this work? Or would a Smarty do the trick? I would like to know if this feature is possible on my 03. I had it on my other truck 06 and was great.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
PCM

The Dodge Field Service rep suggested to my servicing dealer that the high idle be enable on my truck after a bad batch of injectors were replaced. The high idle helps keep the injectors from becoming fouled as eaisly - so he says. So anytime I'm idling like when hitching up the fiver, I use the high idle. Just my 2 cents. pcm
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Anybody have the correct sequence of turning on the feature, adjusting the idle, and cancellation. Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MassZJ
Anyone with an 03 get the dealer to make this work? Or would a Smarty do the trick? I would like to know if this feature is possible on my 03. I had it on my other truck 06 and was great.
Does not work on 03. Only will high idle automatically when air and coolant temp is low. They changed the ecm from 04 and up which can be activated. I use a nice piece of hardwood round from the pedal to the seat. My smarty doesn't enable the cruise control high idle but I have hooked the smarty to a buddies 04 and it worked.

TSB 18-004-04
Flash: Poor Cab Heat and/or Slow Engine Warm Up in Cold Ambient Temperatures

Date: February 3, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 18-043-03 DATED DECEMBER 5, 2003, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES.

Models: 2004 (DR) Ram Truck

NOTE: This bulletin applies to DR vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine (sales code ETC or ETH) and an automatic transmission, with an engine serial number 57130284 or earlier (Figure 1); and the engine date of manufacture on or before December 10, 2003.

FIGURE 1 - ENGINE DATA PLATE (2003 AND LATER SHOWN)
1– ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER
2– REFERENCE NUMBER
3– DATE OF ENGINE MANUFACTURE

Overview:
This bulletin involves erasing and reprogramming the Cummins ECM with new software.

Symptom/Condition:
The vehicle operator may describe poor cab heat and/or slow engine warm up in cold ambient temperatures.

Diagnosis:
A new feature has been added that allows the vehicle operator to use the speed control switches to increase the engine speed up to 1500 rpm, to improve cab heat.

The feature must be enabled using the DRBIII

If the vehicle operator would like to have the feature enabled, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification

Special Tools/Equipment Required:
NPN Battery Charger
CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII)
CH7000A J1962 Cable with red DRBIIIT connector
TechCONNECT PC

NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector at the DRBIIIT connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.

Repair Procedure:

With the ignition switch in the “RUN” position, determine and record the “ECM part number” of the ECM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIIIT select:

a. "DRBIII Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2004 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. “Engine”
e. On 1998 1/2 - 2003 vehicles, select “Cummins”. 2004 and later vehicles, proceed to next step.
f. “Module Display”

2. If the “ECM part number” is 15235113AG, 15235133AG, 15305153AG, or a later revision to these part numbers, proceed to (STEP #3). If not, flash the Cummins ECM in accordance with TSB 18-030-03 Rev. A before proceeding to (STEP #3).

With the ignition in the “RUN” position, using the DRBIIIT select:

a. "DRBIII Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2004 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. “Engine”
e. “Misc. Function”
f. “Idle Up Feature Enable”
g. Follow the on screen instructions.

Once enabled the feature operates as follows:

* With the vehicle stationary and the gearshift lever in Park or Neutral, press the speed control “ON/OFF” switch to the “ON” position.
* Press the “SET” switch. The engine speed will automatically increase to 1100 rpm.
* The engine speed may be increased up to a maximum of 1500 rpm by pressing and holding the “ACCEL” switch.
* The engine speed can be lowered down to 1100 rpm by pressing and holding the “COAST” switch .

The feature will be disabled and engine speed will return to idle if any of the following conditions are present:

* The service brake is depressed.
* The gearshift lever is moved out of “PARK” or “NEUTRAL”.
* The engine senses vehicle speed.
* The “ON/OFF” switch is in the “OFF” position.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-19-52-93 Reprogram Powertrain Control Module 0.8 Hrs.

Failure Code:
FM Flash Module
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
[COLOR="Red"] Does not work on 03. Only will high idle automatically when air and coolant temp is low.
You should check out the TSB in step 2.

2. If the “ECM part number” is 15235113AG, 15235133AG, 15305153AG, or a later revision to these part numbers, proceed to (STEP #3). If not, flash the Cummins ECM in accordance with TSB 18-030-03 Rev. A before proceeding to (STEP #3).
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
PCM

Once it is enabled, the cruise control buttons are used to activate the high idle. Simply press the cruise to on, then press set. Hold accelerate and ill gradually accelerate just shy of 1500 rpm - and no further. Then releae the button. Simply press cruise off or press brake pedal to disengage. pcm
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
You should check out the TSB in step 2.

You should spend the countless hours and trips to the various dealers/service managers. This tsb will not work on a 03 built before Dec 10/03 due to the change in the ecm hardware. But maybe you could try and prove me wrong. What is the build date of your trucks ecm. Do you know of anyone that has a 03 built before Dec 10/03 with the original factory ecm that has the cruise control enabled high idle? I would really like to have this option, maybe Smarty (Marco) can help us!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
03' no worky. This has been hashed out time and time again. My 04.5 had to be reflashed for it to work before I got my Smarty. Yes, as discussed, it is an ECM issue.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Wasnt the answer I was looking for, but none the less, thanks for the info guys.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
You should spend the countless hours and trips to the various dealers/service managers. This tsb will not work on a 03 built before Dec 10/03 due to the change in the ecm hardware.
As I said, read the TSB referenced in step 2. It details what needs to be done with ECU's with the listed numbers and built before Dec 03.

I did do my homework and had a Tech with access lookup the TSB's, part #, flashes, etc. He was of the opinion it should work and 2 years ago everything was still valid. I didn't buy the truck so never followed it up.

Is the TSB still valid?

Are the part #'s still available?

Are the flashes available?

Has ANYBODY tried the whole process and documneted it? To date NOBODY has documented anything or even tried the TSB's and come back with a definitive answer.

Yes, the existing hardware is not capable. The TSB details replacing the listed ECU's with one that is capable and reflashing it with the correct OS that implements the high idle control.

The only question I could not definitely answer is their definition of "Speed Control" in the TSB. That is typically a manual trans option and used to be different from "Cruise Control" used on the autos.

Is there a difference in how these two interface to the ECU? That may be the real question in whether it will work on all trucks.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM

wat is the high idle?

i live in wisconsin and during the winter after i turn my truck to on to warm up it will run normal rpms(750) then bout 30 seconds after startup it will jump to 1000rpms and stay there until i get back in and touch the gas or brake pedal.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t
wat is the high idle?

i live in wisconsin and during the winter after i turn my truck to on to warm up it will run normal rpms(750) then bout 30 seconds after startup it will jump to 1000rpms and stay there until i get back in and touch the gas or brake pedal.
The manual high idle is when you can use the cruise control button to bump up the idle speed. What you are describing is what it does automatically when temps are at a certain level and the truck is just idling.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 AM

I called my dealer here in KS, serv mgr wasn't aware of the high idle, maybe trucks sent here are allredy set or people around here just don't know about it. My truck can from NV so who knows. He did some checking and He did tell me to check chap 5 in my manual, basicaly it says with my auto if useing the cruise functions and it doesn't work to contact my dealer... lol.. I told him I'd seen it on a Cummins forum and he said any info he would gladly like to have. So help me on this if you can, I couldn't find the other post on it. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: high idle flash??