3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP! 04.5 Dodge Diesel Stock, codes 0243,0480,0483,1757

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 04.5 Dodge Diesel Stock, codes 0243,0480,0483,1757

I am new to this forum, but have been into diesel trucks for a while now. I had a 24V Vp44 truck but just sold it to buy a 2004.5 HO quad cab 4X4 auto shortbed. The truck is stock with 120,000 miles on it. When I got the truck home, I immediately ran the code test, came up with P0243, P0480, P0483, P1757. No CEL on. Reset computer same codes appeared, no CEL on still.
I know what they all mean, but I have no idea what to start with to narrow down what is wrong.
I have seen that P0243 and P0480 seem to come up at the same time on other member's trucks after searching the archives.
I am not so much worried about the P1757 as that one seems to be fairly easy to diagnose.
I did notice that in driving the truck, the turbo makes sort of a weird airy type of sound. I also notice that if you rev the engine up in park, or hit the gas in any gear, it acts as if the throttle sticks for a split second after you let off the throttle, it wants to keep going for just a bit. Those are the only driveability issues that I have noticed. I will begin by first checking the turbo wastegate solenoid wire to see if it is chaffed, then check all hoses for a vacuum leak or boost leak, any other suggestions where to start?!Thanksin advance for any help!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM

mine dose the same thing '' like the trottle sticks'' I think its pretty common. As for codes no help here.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant find any info on P0243???

SYMPTOM
P0480-FAN CLUTCH

WHEN MONITORED
When the ignition is on.

SET CONDITION
The PWM signal to the fan clutch does not match the PWM signal from the fan clutch.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Fan clutch
  • Wire harness damaged
  • Open fan clutch (Y1) driver circuit
  • (Y1) driver circuit shorted to (K4) return circuit
  • (Y1) driver circuit shorted to battery negative
  • Intermittent condition
  • ecm
SYMPTOM
P0483-FAN SPEED

WHEN MONITORED
While the engine is running.

SET CONDITION
The actual fan speed is less than 75 rpm or more than 4000 rpm .

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Other DTC'S
  • (Y5) signal circuit short to 5-volt supply (Y3) circuit
  • (Y5) signal circuit open from ECM to fan clutch assembly
  • (Y3) supply CKT open from ECM harness connector to fan clutch harness connector
  • Intermittent condition
  • (Y5) signal circuit shorted to return in the harness
  • (Y5) signal circuit shorted to voltage
  • (Y5) signal circuit in ECM shorted to ground inside ECM
  • (Y5) signal circuit shorted to voltage in the ECM
  • (Y3) 5-volt supply circuit in ECM
SYMPTOM
P1757-GOV PRESS ABOVE 3 PSI IN GEAR WITH 0 MPH

WHEN MONITORED
While the engine is running and the gear selector is in the Drive Position.

SET CONDITION
This code will set if the Governor Pressure is greater than 41.4 kPa (6 PSI) for 5 seconds while the gear selector is in the Drive position with the road speed equal to zero - six times during a drive cycle. The transmission oil temperature must be between 23-88 C (78-190 F) .

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Other transmission DTC's present
  • 5-volt supply circuit open
  • 5-volt supply circuit open inside the transmission
  • Oil burnt or oil pan has excessive debris
  • Governor pressure sensor
  • Valve body
  • ECM
  • Engine control module -5 volt supply
  • Intermittent wiring and connectors
Clear as Mud???
diagnosing is fun!!!

let us know what you find.....
Mark
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Does this truck have a turbo timer? When I installed mine the fan clutch and boost code popped becasue as the truck runs and you turn off the key no power is supplied to the fan clutch or electronic wastegate causing the codes to trip. The only way I fixed it is there is a jumber wire in igntion wires that has to have a 12v source to keep from tripping codes inte the 2004.5 and above trucks.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, fill out your SIG please.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Thumbs up Small update...

Geez you guys are fast, thanks for the responses. Yes now its clear as mud, no this helps alot, I am assuming those are from the service manual, which I need to purchase one of. No I do not have any turbo timers.
Now, last night I went out to the garage and checked over the truck.

Things I found to note:

-Intake air tube clamp loose after the sensor by the airbox (the one that has a plug that says VW and Audi on it ). Tightened.
-Intake clamp slightly loose at turbo housing intake, as well.
Tightened.
-Checked wastegate solenoid wiring, seems fine although, wires are pushing hard on little wire bracket hooked to engine block, rerouted it a bit so it wouldn't rub through, didn't find a rub through.
-Found that the radiator overflow tube was disconnected to the overflow reservoir. Found that both radiator and reservoir a little low on coolant.
Topped off.
-Went through all wiring and vacuum tubes, found that all vacuum tubes look good.
-All stock wiring looked good, noticed a stock looking wire soldered to an ecm wire, with a not so stock looking tape job . Followed those wires, found that this truck has an aftermarket security system on it, (code alarm brand). Decent wiring job, but at the same time, not so decent as well...

...As I have been reading on this forum, any aftermarket electrical devices often times causes codes to come up in the computer...that may be my problem or part of it.

...Another theory is that when I tried to reset the computer and drive the truck, it did not work, even after the four hours of neg cables unhooked. I did forget to turn the key on to drain the capacitors of any possible stored power.

And after running the truck for a bit, I found that those codes were in the computer, but I never saw the CEL come on at all, (only drove it about 4 miles total). So maybe they did not get removed in the first place.

One last thing I noticed is that I have a drivers side headlight out (low beam only, high beam works) , and I replaced it, same, checked all fuses in the underhood box, checked plug and wiring close to plug on headlight, all looks good. Is there a fuse anywhere else that could cause this problem? All I know is that this poor trucks wiring has been messed with a bit, someone put strobes in the headlights and tailights as it used to be a construction companies truck.