3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Getrag Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getrag Tranny

so is the new getrag 6 speed tranny gonna really be as bad as everyone is saying?? im figuring on gettin a new pickup within the next 2 years and would like to know you guys' opinion. thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 07:17 PM

Some people just don't like change...especially when there is nothing wrong with the current 6 speed. It probably will be just fine if not better. Everyone needs to have a little faith in DC...they got this far!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:15 PM

Why dont they leave there wonderful 6 speed alone, and build a nice 5/6 speed automatic tranny that locks the torque converter in every gear, and does justice for the cummins in front of it. I know the 48re is definatley ahead of the 47re/rh, but it is still a little behind the allison, and torqueshift because it lacks a gear, and doesent lock the converter in every gear like the allison/torqueshift do. They have the technology to build an awesome tranny, i just wish they woiuld do it.

Eric
Old 09-22-2004, 08:28 PM

Every Getrag transmission I have dealt with has been, in my opinion, a piece of junk. They have a very rubbery feeling... my NV5600 has a better feel than the Getrags I've driven in BMWs, Jaguars, Mitsubishis (3000GT VR-4) etc. Furthermore, they have this habit of always breaking in some way or another. I've seen American-built manual trannies last hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse, I have yet to see a Getrag last more than 120k.

Also, the aluminum case is a disadvantage, especially if you go off-roading. Aluminum is weak metal used to save weight. Aluminum transmission casings have this nasty habit of breaking. This has happened to several people I know. When the case breaks, you need a new transmission. End of story.

Another thing about Getrag trannies is that they tend to be built for x amount of torque. In the case of the Cummins, let's say they built it to handle 650 lb-ft. Will last forever at 650 lb-ft, will blow up instantly at 651lb-ft. This is bad for those of us who like to modify our trucks for more power (and that's about everyone).

Now, all that said, I have NEVER dealt with a Getrag designed for an application like the Cummins. It has always been BMWs, Jaguars, and the like. They may do this one right. That said, I would not be a guinea pig, I would let other people buy the first few years of G56 trannies, see what they say, and go from there.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard from someone who might know that the new tranny is the same one that is used in the Unimog. If so, it should be fine. I have not heard too much bad about the toughness of those trucks. This guy is a manager at a major rebuild center for Detroit Diesel.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Everyone needs to have a little faith in DC...they got this far!
They got this far by abandoning the Gertag manual transmission that was in the first generation trucks.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 PM

Many issues with the Gertag 5 speeds in the early dodge and chevys, I know of several that did not hold up to stock gas bigblocks. Also parts were rummered to be very hard to get if any work was needed.
Hopefully this 6 speed will be designed with a cummins in mind but I would not hold my breath.
Also keep in mind that the mog is a great truck but VERY underpowered, it uses gearing to make up for torque where we use massive torque to make up for gearing. The mog set-up is easy on driveline parts.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM

Wink when is new tranny supposed to show up??

when is new tranny supposed to show up??
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What I don't understand is, if they were going to mess with the manual, why not either a 7 speed, or 10 speed (5 w/splitter)? Having 4.10's, but with another gear with slightly higher overall ratio than a current 3.73 truck in 6th would sure be nice. A little smaller jump between some of the gears would be extra sweet.

As I understand it, the F650 w/Cummins can be had with 7 speed...

And, yes, I would prefer a cast iron, American made unit.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:25 PM

This transmission is being used across the whole line of HD Dodge trucks, gas and diesel. It should be a cost savings by only haveing to stock parts for one manual transmission. You have to consider the weight the F650 can hold compared to our Dodges. There is currently a limit on the physical size and weight of transmission you put on a light duty truck compared to a medium duty. We stand to loose Payload.
I think DC should get rid of the Automatics and the manual and replace it with the Mercedes AGS Automated Gear Shift. If you don't want to shift, don't. If you want to control your shifts, have at it.

www.sterlingtrucks.com/Core/Pdf/AGS_brochure.pdf
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM

The G56 will be used across the line in multiple Dodge trucks, meaning less cost for them. I just hope that doesn't mean that those of us with the trucks that are at the top of the food chain are going to suffer as a result.

I would actually prefer that the gears be spaced a bit further apart... with my 3.73 and 6-speed I find myself shifting a lot around town. But I would like it if top gear allowed for lower rpm cruising than it currently does, which is why I'm looking into the larger tires as an overdrive.

If Dodge put that AGS thing instead of the regular automatic, I might have been more inclind to buy the "auto" version since theoretically that would eliminate the power loss. But personally I love banging my own gears and the fun associated with it, that's why I bought the 6-speed, and that's why all my cars have manual trannies. I've forcibly ripped out automatics to replace them with manuals on cars that didn't come with them from the factory. I imagine I'm not alone in this theory, but maybe I am.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:21 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Dumb move on dc's part for sure.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting comments about the Getrag but misinformed, the original 5spd was a at best adequate for what Dodge new would work. The Getrag was rated at 380 ft/lbs torque supplied by Dodge behind an engine rated at 160 hp/400ft/lbs torque, filled with motor oil which contained lubricants and additives detrimental to synchro's. This oil was spec'ed too light for heavy towing and wrong application, oil level was also 1 quart low to lubricate input bearing while idling- "Dodge specifications". Remember the light little flywheel bushing also a Dodge spec'ed part, all this combined with the abuse of drivers constantly pushing the limits (25000lbs-32000lbs) light loads, speed shifting a truck transmission and racing. Comments stating how good the under-rated Allison are (350hp/450ft/lbs) which was modified to fit a chev pickup now coming apart due to "The Juice" and other power enhancing devices. The Dodge designed electronic fuel management system which unlike Cummins systems included things like spin on filters, internal cruise control and PTO/high idle control. Ford had oil pressure controlled fuel injector timing on an IH motor with injectors costing up to $3200 per set of 8. My point gentlemen and ladies is in every case the truck manufacturers had knowledge of "Good enough" and "it's adequate for the public to buy" all in the name of profit. American built SM465/420's had no better reliability when abused behind hi- torque big blocks with oiled bushings instead of bearings. Perhaps a set of Getrag specs to review before condemnation would be of some value and recommend to Dodge that the anti-vibration bushing in the gear stick mount be removed to allow the true feel and noise be available. Get rid of pilot injection so we can once again hear our beloved diesel as it should be- loud, proud and bold along with a Roadranger 10spd non-synchromesh so only "Real Diesel" enthusiests can enjoy a work truck. OH wait I just described a overpriced mid-series custom built for me component truck with increased power ratings, various transmission options and increased payload to haul my big stuff. They don't care what you think as long as "You Pay The Price Fool" syndrome continues me included. PK
Old 09-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Anyone can design a bridge that will work.

Only an engineer can design a bridge that will barely work.