3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'03 auto trans shifting questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 auto trans shifting questions

First off I did do a search and didn't really find the answer I was looking for. Secondly, I'm not real knowledgable about what kind of transmission I have but I'll call it a 4 speed with overdrive. At least when I take off from a stop it will shift 3 times and then into OD.

The problem I have is the transmission doesn't seem to like what I'll call 4th gear. When taking off from a stop, under any kind of acceleration really, it will shift into second and third real nice like normal, hit 4th for about a half second and then right into OD. Most of the time I feel like it shifts into OD before it should or where I want it to. When stomping down on the gas (from OD) to pass or accelerate hard, it will always shift down to 3rd which throw the rpm's way up close to redline and then hang there until I lift my foot slightly from the pedal to allow it to upshift to 4th, where it will carry 4th for that half second and then immediately to OD again.

What I really WANT it to do is just shift down to 4th (which I feel is a really nice gear) and not all the way down to 3rd, and carry 4th gear for a lot longer and utilize it much more. This split second use of 4th gear before OD causes the truck to fall on it's face when trying to accelerate hard or pass.

Also, when I use the "OD off" feature it seems to not allow use of 4th gear at all, and will only shift up to 3rd. The truck now has 40,000 miles and has behaved like this since I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on it. I used to think it was kind of odd and just put up with it, but now it annoys me. Any suggestions?

I should say all of these symptoms occur when the truck bed is empty and not pulling anything....which is 90% of my use.

Thanks, Scott
Old 09-27-2004, 04:32 AM

What you have are 3 gears, OD, and then the torque converter lock up.
Your OD off button is working correctly except that the converter should still lock-up at some point after shifting into third.
Mine actually goes through all the gears a little too fast and a DTT valve body made a world of difference. It still, however, shifts into OD way too soon under light acceleration and goes into lockup soon after.
There is a lockup sensor down there somewhere. Maybe yours needs to be replaced.

Mine's been kind of screwey since shortly after I bought it and the dealer kept telling me nothing was wrong so I finally just got a new converter and valve body.

Hope this helps and good luck.....
Mike
Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 AM

Scott,
If you have an early "03" We have a 47re tranny....Mine has one of the same problems.You have to let up on the trottle to allow it to shift. It showed up on one of the recalls that took place concerning the transmission. It was reflashed (re-programed) and started to do it. It seems to work fine other than that. I have pulled loads before and after. It took a couple of times watching the rpm climb with no shift to figure out what the deal was! Just back off the fuel a bit and it shifts. I ask the dealer about it when I had the tranny serviced and he said he found no problem. I'm going to haul 10,000# this weekend and you just wonder.......!! Maybe someone here has some more scoop on the issue!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wish there was an electronic gadget or something available that would allow us to change the shifting points. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer and have them check it over. Is that DTT valve body a Dodge part and is it covered under warranty? I love the truck and it does shift as you said by letting up on the fuel, but I just wish it was smoother.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 PM

The DTT valve body is a reworked Dodge part and not covered under your Dodge warranty.
When my truck was new it had the same shifting symptoms as you mentioned with having to let off the accelerator to get it to shift into OD. I kind of liked it. It just quit doing it one day though and then the quick shifting started. As I stated before, my dealer can't find anything wrong and went as far as to tell me "The mechanic said this truck shifts better than most that he's driven!" What a load of crap!!