3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

G56 Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I stated before I wanted to know what G56 failures there where under normal conditions....I think people jump the gun when they hear of a part failing....ready to start the whitch hunt....this tranny is still new to Dodge so only time will tell....but I think we are getting carried away calling something junk when it is used for something it was never intended.......
Old 08-29-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM

I myself think that the G56 is the best tranny that Dodge has ever mated to the Cummins. I am sure more people than not would agree.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texasredrider
I myself think that the G56 is the best tranny that Dodge has ever mated to the Cummins. I am sure more people than not would agree.

I'm with V8440 -
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
P.J
Banned

I'm with texasredrider

Not sure why, I just am.

For real, how many have failed while not being totally abused and used for something other than what they were designed to do?

So....in short, it has been established that when used for hooking to a sled, and towing well over the weight limit it was designed the new 6 speeds aren't as tough as the nv's.

Got it.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM

I have 26,000 miles on my 05 I pull 12,000 lbs about a 1/3 of those miles and havent had a problem yet. I think its a pretty good tranny so far
Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 AM

I just thought of something-I recently did a rear main seal in an '05 4x4 dually with a g56. The truck had 115k on it, mostly pulling hay and 4 horse trailers. Not only has there been no trouble with the trans, the original clutch is still doing fine. This particular truck is stone stock-no mods at all.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:45 PM

All of my friends with the G56 feel that the tranny is doing fine and have had no problems what so ever.........
Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM

we've had synchro problems in a couple of the early g56's that where stock but i think chrysler just had them cut wrong, a couple of em in here popping out of 3rd gear and grinding in reverse. we did the warranty on bigd' tranny it really looked like the trans had been very hot the races where blue and it all was pretty sloppy, i think the hooks to the sled just helped the worn out tranny lay down a little sooner. but ive seen the loads bigd puts behind a pickup and....he should be ashamed of himself if i had a g56 it would have some sort of coller hangin off of it, it just seems like there's not enough lube in em.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 PM

I'm still getting the shudder in 2nd when getting down hard on it while pulling my 10k toy hauler. If I baby it and go real easy on it, it doesnt do it. only in 2nd though. when empty, no probs unless it gets hot then slight shudder in 2nd again. I'm not sure, but it may be clutch slippage. I wish I knew for sure
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM

I assumed that the shudder at the bottom of 2nd when pulling my toy hauler was the axle wrapping under the load. I had the same issue on my furd and it went away with traction bars. My 06' CTD does the same thing. I just have to tap out 1st a little longer.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by fccparts
we've had synchro problems in a couple of the early g56's that where stock but i think chrysler just had them cut wrong, a couple of em in here popping out of 3rd gear and grinding in reverse. we did the warranty on bigd' tranny it really looked like the trans had been very hot the races where blue and it all was pretty sloppy, i think the hooks to the sled just helped the worn out tranny lay down a little sooner. but ive seen the loads bigd puts behind a pickup and....He should be ashamed of himself if i had a g56 it would have some sort of coller hangin off of it, it just seems like there's not enough lube in em.
He should be ashamed of himself?? I don't think so, If this transmission can overheat it should have come with a trans temp gauge or light like the autos!!! I would back off the pedal if I knew my trans was getting hot. If I can't pull big loads with my cummins why own one??
Old 08-30-2006, 05:32 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
He should be ashamed of himself?? I don't think so, If this transmission can overheat it should have come with a trans temp gauge or light like the autos!!! I would back off the pedal if I knew my trans was getting hot. If I can't pull big loads with my cummins why own one??
Depends on you definition of a "Big" load.
30,000K? That's pretty big, as in over 30% more than they were manufactured to do. Yes, there have been heavier. But he states that this has been done constantly over approx. 25,000 miles.

The sled;
Hooking up to something that is designed to eventually STOP the towing vehicle all the while with tires spinning and motor at about max torque?

I'm not the least bit surprised.

Why is it that the auto guys KNOW they are going to have to go out and spend upwards of 5K+ in trans work and T/C, but someone with a manual assumes they can dog it day in and day out with no ill effects?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 PM

I am guilty of substancialy overloading my truck on a daily basis,I dont feel ashamed. Its just the way it is where I live. Their are so many Dodge Trucks hauling hay down the road it is just unbelivable. Rarley you see a Ford and I have yet to see a Dmax. If you see a truck that is overloaded it is almost always a Dodge. Go to a sale Barn on sale day you will see 4 or 5 dodge trucks with 32+ cattle trailers (One of them is mine) Some of these trailers weigh 7000 pounds empty!! now put in 18 1500 pound cows You think sledpulls are hard on trucks Try pulling 40000+ out of a field of CRP!!!
I know if the truck breaks it is my fault no arguments here. But I don't think some of you realize what these trucks can do. I would rather buy a truck used like mine then buy one that never pulled a day in its life was started cold and driven with no warm ups and shut off while hot. To me that is abuse!!
So far after 12,000 miles 0 problums I like the G56 better then the nv5600 except for 6th gear. Im sure anyone who buys a g56 and uses it like the mfg recomends it will last forever!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know what the G56 is rated for GCVW ?? I know the NV5600 is 26k.

Quick Reply: G56 Failure