3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Everyone read this,,,you may have a shorted wire!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super job Windscreen. Everyone was talking about this but nobody could understand where to look for this. Thanks for the pic and will go check mine right not.
Again Thanks!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey thank's for helping me out and posting the pic. These guy's have really been on me. I just havn't had time to do it. Ok,,,Really I just can't remember. Guess I'm getting old timer's.

Hey Windscreen. Did you repair the wire or just tape it up. Truthfully I haven't even looked at mine since the dealer taped it. Guess I better see how bad the wire really is.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This morning I did a complete service on my truck and check out what you guys were talking about and sure enough that could be a problem area. so I took some 1\4 loom and covered the wiring and tuck it in safe position.... what is weird is you look right at it while changing the oil filter and not even think about it happening. heck also found my waterpump o-ring is leaking coolant so do I fix it myself or take to DC and let em fix it LOL will see how lazy I am thankgiving week. If you want my opinion about finding a worn thru wiring , do fix it and you wont ever have to worry about the wiring corroding.... because of the location that wire will corrode and cause many headache in the future.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the picture and great explanation. This is what makes this site so worthwhile! I will be checking mine at the next service.

Jim B
Old 11-13-2005, 10:33 AM

I checked my truck this morning and sure enough the wires were rubbing on the AC compressor. I did not have any wire loom handy but did have a piece of rubber fuel line that I was able to split and put over the wires. I could see where if I had not done this at some point the wires would have worn through. Thanks for posting this!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:39 PM

Another wiring problem spot can be found on auto trans trucks only. My truck had shifting problems and would stay in second gear sometimes. After many trips to the dealer and searching endlessly for answers, another member on this board "Pearce" solved my problems. The harness going to the auto trans was rubbing againts a ground strap and cut through eventually to short it out. This is found under the truck and just trace the harness out of the trans to where it passes the ground strap. Don't know if this is common as Pearce and myself are the only two I heard of with it. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 AM

Looked at mine yesterday and sure enough, the taped wire was rubbing on one of the compressor lines. Slipped on some loom and taped it up. All is good!

This forum is great!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Well Sticky, looks like I will be headed back under my truck today to check the transmission wiring harness. Thanks for the heads up on that problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Here is what the work ticket said when I finally got mine fixed.

"Diagnose vehicle and found DTC P2769 for TCC control circuit low. Follow flow chart and called Star, locate the YL/LB wire in pin #9 connector 109 chaffing on top of the bellhousing. Insulate and reroute wiring in connector Y1/LB."

Now I'll need to go look for this other wire you guys found.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Haven't checked yet, but did this get fixed for the '05 model?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

That is really sad that they design something like that. I can't believe that something so simple can bring the entire system down. Go figure. I'm glad we don't design our military equipment that way! Then again, a truck don't cost a hundred grand either, just he fuel for a year!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:32 AM

It wasn't fixed on my 05 until I did it myself.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....and now you know how TSB's come about.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 AM

great thread!

Checked mine out, rubbed but not worn through. Thanks for the heads up! I took both connectors loose and loomed it like the thread and the pics say. A person who has no experience with the red tab electrical connectors might want to pop the hood and practice on one of the easy access ones there by the left hand battery. The connector for the rubbing wires is hard to see, and kinda hard to get your fingers on if you have big hands. Basically, the red tab has a little lip on one end. The tab needs to be pushed so that lip is moved away from the connector, then the actual connector squeezed so the little latch thing will let it come open.

This (the wire rubbing problem)is a definite weak spot, and really vulnerable. The wire is barely covered with one layer of light duty tape.

Quick Reply: Everyone read this,,,you may have a shorted wire!!