3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

To edge or not to edge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To edge or not to edge?

I've read the posts concerning how DC will void the warranty if they catch you using the edge or any other performance module, but here is my question:

I just bought a new 2005 Dodge quad-cab with the cummings diesel with the Bighorn package two weeks ago. When I drove it off the lot the gauge was showing 12 MPG. After burning 1/2 a tank of gas the gauge is now nshowing 22 MPG on the highway. I'm almost afraid to mess with anything.

I've read posts where guys have put on either the Scotty III or the Pro Raid and have actually seen a decrease in fuel efficiency, so in a way I'm almost afraid to change anything.

It seems as if I were to put on the Scotty III and a different muffler like the 4040auroturbine, I would almost have to run the edge to take advantage of these changes? Otherwise the factory settings will not work correctly. Is this right?

If I were to put on the Scotty III, a different muffler & then hook up the edge and ONLY run it in setting #1 and were to subsequently have a problem; if I were to put back on the factory air system, factory muffler, and then disconnect the edge & reload the factory settings, would DC be able to prove that I had the edge hooked up and void my warranty?

What do you guys think of this plan. Give me your honest answer?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

jwhip,

Most often the MPG changes you're reading about are short term, the truck's ECM needs to relearn the new air CFM intake exahust and adjust accordingly. Plus lots of folks are "testing" their new muffler and or intake with their right foot too, that doesn't help MPG either. Adding an Edge will help with MPG in most cases, but only if you drive like you're trying to make MPG, if you test the new HP very often you'll likely have the same MPG and just be enjoying the new HP! Another concern that a lot of folks don't consider is the trucks computer MPG calculator, if you add any of the HP modules the MPG readout will be inaccurate as it reads what it expects from the stock ECM, which is now modified by the HP module you have added. If you add a module you need to go back to miles divided by gallons on a calculator.

If you plan to add a muffler I would suggest you get our MBRP replacement performance muffler. It's bolts right into place and even has welded hangers that re use the stock rubber mounts. It's built from 409 stainless and matches the material the stock pipes are built from. EASY install and looks like it was built that way by Dodge when installed. Plus we are a LOT less expensive than the turbine mufflers and get you the same exact same EGT reductions etc. We also have Cat test pipes for those that race of go off road, they are built from either 409 stainless or aluminized. As far as intake system get the Pro Guard 7 by AFE, proven to stop the dirt the others let thru and still flows tons of CFM.

Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Comes down to durability and how long you intend to keep the truck. If you're like me, you bought this truck to drive it until the odometer rolls over (i.e. 1,000,000 miles). If that's your goal, follow my favorite advice: LEAVE IT ALONE! NO TOUCHY!

If, however, you intend to hold onto the truck for 5 years or less and then dump it, then sure, go ahead and mod it. What do you care if you've hurt long-term durability? The truck will be long gone by then.

I think mileage wise you'll probably be about the same either way, assuming you can keep your right foot off the floor!!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally posted by tdupuis
Comes down to durability and how long you intend to keep the truck. If you're like me, you bought this truck to drive it until the odometer rolls over (i.e. 1,000,000 miles). If that's your goal, follow my favorite advice: LEAVE IT ALONE! NO TOUCHY!

If, however, you intend to hold onto the truck for 5 years or less and then dump it, then sure, go ahead and mod it. What do you care if you've hurt long-term durability? The truck will be long gone by then.

I think mileage wise you'll probably be about the same either way, assuming you can keep your right foot off the floor!!
Amen to that. I bought my truck to last, and for what it cost it better. Everyone tries to get me to bomb it out I just smile a nod my head
Old 05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

i'm kind of with you guys. i would love to add an edge to my truck but how much power do you really need? i didn't buy my truck to race. i bought it to drive and tow whatever i put behind it. i know that a box will give it more power at the expense of durability so i just leave it alone. all the things i add to my truck are mostly cosmetic. i already know it is the most powerful truck out there stock. i have nothing to prove. if i wanted to race i would have bought a ferrari.

britt

Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. It does seem like if I at least put another muffler on in comnination with the Scotty III that this would reduce the EGT and prolong engine life. What do you think about that?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 AM

I agree too! I'm not doing any mods to my truck either!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

Any engine modification will be stored in the onboard computers these trucks use. There is absolutly no way to erase the memory. You could change out all the electronics and DC would still know simply by things do not match. Your warranty will be voided if DC checks and yes after DC's experience the last 7 years with electronically controled diesel engines and transmissions and guys altering them you can bet that is one of the first things DC checks for with warranty claims.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jwhip
Thanks for the advice guys. It does seem like if I at least put another muffler on in comnination with the Scotty III that this would reduce the EGT and prolong engine life. What do you think about that?
Unless your pulling extreme weights up mountain grades your not going to prolong engine life with those modifications nor will you see any fuel milage gain. The only gain will be money for the aftermarket guys. If you are pulling heavy weights up mountain grades then yes anything you can do to drop EGT can and will prolong engine life.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 AM

"To edge or not to edge? "

To have warranty or not to have warranty?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Any engine modification will be stored in the onboard computers these trucks use. There is absolutly no way to erase the memory. You could change out all the electronics and DC would still know simply by things do not match. Your warranty will be voided if DC checks and yes after DC's experience the last 7 years with electronically controled diesel engines and transmissions and guys altering them you can bet that is one of the first things DC checks for with warranty claims.

Bluebull, I think you are mis informed. If you plug in an EZ (or other box that does not reprogram the ECM), they cannot tell as long as you remove it before taking the truck to the dealer.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 PM

We have a few friends that still believe their powerjoke is a real diesel. Anyway, all 4 have been to dealer for various engine problems. Three of them had the sense to remove their 'box' before hand. One didn't, guess who was the only one who paid for their repairs. I think the EZ is a good box for towing, probably doesn't leave a trace it was there. But, If I had a warranty, wouldn't do much of anything to void it. Unless I hit the lottery!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dodgezilla
I agree too! I'm not doing any mods to my truck either!!!
I agree with Dodgezilla, I will not mod my truck!

All seriousness aside . There is always tail-tail signs of what you do , "Why is the connector factory seal broken on your MAP and FUEL connectors?", "How did you hit 38psi max boost when the ECM won't allow that?", etc...

BOMBing is an expensive hobby.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM

I hear what you guys are saying. I guess what will be tempting to me is when the Edge comes out with the A2 next month (Just got off the phone with them). It will be an LCD touchscreen display, integrated GPS with voice directions, MP3 Player and wireless backup camera for somewhere around $1200. I HONESTLY would only put the edge in the first setting and run it for fuel economy. I talked with the dealer in Kellog, ID and he told me that all the employees ran boxes in theirs and that the edge was untraceable. I guess I can see how the edge is untraceable because it does not replace the factory settings unlike some boxes out there which do replace the factory settings.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Here is a link to the edge A2 which the people at Edge told me is coming out next month.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/.../edge_sema.asp

Quick Reply: To edge or not to edge?