3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Duramax is better than crappy dodge....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax is better than crappy dodge....

youve all read my other post about my %$#@ steering wheel vibration in other post. so i crawled under my dodge and i noticed i have 3 seal leaks. 1 wheel seal and both diff input seals. ***??? cold weather???breathers werent plugged this fall. also fuel leaking from fuelfilter canister...***???? cold weather. its -36 celcius and my truck wont start. it was plugged in for 8 hours...

all i can say is bye bye dodge. duramax time. my buddies never have issues like me.they all drive chevy
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny. I dumped my Dmax over four years ago. Been happy as heck since getting rid of the "injector eater". I also blew a headgasket on that one. Not to mention the Allison can't hold anything over 90 hp without going "LIMP". Trust me I was there.

At 32 deg below zero, diesels can be a bugger. Don't expect any brand to be much if any better in those temps without taking the proper precautions with respect to fuel gelling in the whole fuel supply system.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM

so the 48re is better than allison. thats probably whats hooped on mine. at 95 km/hour i get bad steering wheel vibration. and also cant read gauges because everything is vibrating so much. at 120 its gone. at 85 its gone.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Then quit telling us and go do it. Go buy your D-Max and join their forum. We don't need to hear you vent about how crappy you think your Dodge is. Leave in Peace and let us enjoy this site.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Check out Thuren fab for your front end problems. I'm in the same boat with the front end wobble.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 AM

lol sure didnt answer me about the 48re lol. lmfao....lol. i wont do it just yet because i have so much money tied into this truck that id be laughing stock of town if i traded it in. my repairs are averaging $4500 a year since i bought truck used. thats not counting oil changes and brakes etc....
Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM

but fern. why does my wobble go away when i hit tow/haul mode and maintain same speed? and what kind of wobble is it? does your dash vibrate? does it go away after 90 km/hour or get worse?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Then quit telling us and go do it. Go buy your D-Max and join their forum. We don't need to hear you vent about how crappy you think your Dodge is. Leave in Peace and let us enjoy this site.
He is just venting. Kinda the way my GF does non-stop.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 AM
ICL

probably just some U-joints. IMHO If you run a 8ply sidewall tire in these trucks I swear you will add extra wear and tear on all your driveshaft U-joints and front end U-joints and the ball joints. I just think anything less then 10 ply is inviting trouble with those parts I mentioned. Besides u-joints and ball joints can go at all time.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Than its not wheel vibtration if you think ins originating from the trans. Mine depends on the road surface and bumps.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 AM

Check your entire front end out. If you don't feel comfortable with it, take it to a shop that really knows there stuff. Then, take your truck to a tranny shop that really knows their stuff. After the vibration problem is fixed, take it and have your seals replaced. You may have just bought a used truck that was just that, used. Some people get lemons, and you might be the case. I have owned them, and I am sure others have too. I still think your vibration is from your front end.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM

That sucks man, sounds like you got somebody elses lemmon. My dad has a durmax, and its been ok, but still part of the reason that i bought another dodge. The 48 re is a piece of crap, but i think its all fixable and then its a good tranny. The allison in the durmax is just as fickle. It s half the reason i bought a dodge. Just wish it was a six speed like my last one.

06 megacab, edge att, 5" magnaflow, leveling kit, 295/70-17 toyo mts
Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 AM

Have you had this vibration diagnosed at a dodge dealer or are you just throwing parts at it. When you have an issue that you yourself or you and a friend cannot fix why not bring it to them. The diag is reasonable and they will back up their work with a guarantee. That wobble comes back or they didn't fix it's on them. Don't see why your repairs would be $4500 a year, that's unbelievable with any vehicle. Go take it and and get it checked, then come back and say you hate your Dodge. IMO, chevies aren't much better. Granted this story includes a gas truck, but a friend went through 3 head gaskets, 4 transmissions, and a bottom end before he got rid of it with 48,000 miles on it. Take care of your truck, it will take care of you
Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 AM

im not ruling out wheel bearings/ujoints. im going to try and get it fired up today. its -42 celcius today with windchill and it wont start. i have battery charger on it now and its been plugged in for 9 hours
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 AM

My front end needs a complete rebuild which is what is causing my front-end wobble. Just giving you a hard time. My VP44 went out two weeks after I bought my truck and I did my fair share of venting about an uncooperative dealer. Good luck and down get down about it.

Quick Reply: Duramax is better than crappy dodge....