3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Does it make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it make a difference?

If you own a 4wd and never use it in 4wd? Would it damage the trans or front diff. ?

I don`t own one but shopping for a truck right now and if i came across a good deal ?

I don`t have a need for 4wd but like i said if it wsa a good deal?

Thanks, Bob
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bob 1
If you own a 4wd and never use it in 4wd? Would it damage the trans or front diff. ?

I don`t own one but shopping for a truck right now and if i came across a good deal ?

Thanks, Bob
I put mine in 4wd whenever I get on a dirt road just to make sure everything is in working order. But I think all of the front end parts move anyways cause the front driveshaft moves whenever the truck moves.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should not damage anything not being used in 4wd. As stated above the moving parts are always moving anyway. Normal maintenance on the differential and transfer case is all that is necessary to maintain.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have the electronic shift 4wd i would shift it into 4hi and 4 lo around once a month or so to make sure the motor is still working and keep contacts clean. nothing is worse than shifting into 4wd when you need it and finding it doesnt work, like my old S-10 did.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Toyota Tacoma (I know these are not Tacomas) manual recommended that you run in 4wd for at least 10 miles per month to circulate lubricant in the xfer case and front axle, however the Tacoma doesn't mind 4wd on hard surfaces. I do like BPoulson and put mine in 4wd whenever I am not on a hard surface, at least once per month for a short distance, just to keep the lube circulated.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: Then, raised central PA; Now where ever Uncle Sam sends me.
4x4 needed?

I am a person that would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If you do get a truck without 4x4 and the first couple times you need it and dont have it you will wish you did... Just my 2 cents....
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 PM

If there was only one option to have on a truck with no weight in the back bed, it's four wheel drive. If you spend all your time driving the highways you may not need it. If you ever get it off-road you'll need it, I speak from experiences, many of them....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thenrie
My Toyota Tacoma (I know these are not Tacomas) manual recommended that you run in 4wd for at least 10 miles per month to circulate lubricant in the xfer case and front axle, however the Tacoma doesn't mind 4wd on hard surfaces. I do like BPoulson and put mine in 4wd whenever I am not on a hard surface, at least once per month for a short distance, just to keep the lube circulated.
The Toyota has a CAD in the front end, so not all the parts spin. And YES and part-time 4wd setup minds hard surfaces.. As a long time Toyota owner/wheeler I can tell you for sure that you DON'T want to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces.. I have seen and read about lots of carnage from this, its true on any 4wd setup without a center diff..

The 3rd gen Dodges use an AAM 9.25" front axle. There are no hubs or CAD in this axle, it has drive flanges and that means its like the hubs being locked all the time.

I would shift into 4wd every now and then, stopped is fine your just moving the linkage.

And like its been said, if the truck has elec 4wd I would use it more often.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob 1

Thanks, Bob
Like other have said, these trucks are WAY to front end heavy to not want 4wheel drive, even in the rain sometimes I kick mine in if I need to cross a busy 4 lane street...

And if your towing, 4lo makes things alot easier on the tranny or clutch when backing into a tight area...
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
The Toyota has a CAD in the front end, so not all the parts spin. And YES and part-time 4wd setup minds hard surfaces.. As a long time Toyota owner/wheeler I can tell you for sure that you DON'T want to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces.. I have seen and read about lots of carnage from this, its true on any 4wd setup without a center diff..

The 3rd gen Dodges use an AAM 9.25" front axle. There are no hubs or CAD in this axle, it has drive flanges and that means its like the hubs being locked all the time.

I would shift into 4wd every now and then, stopped is fine your just moving the linkage.

And like its been said, if the truck has elec 4wd I would use it more often.
This isn't a Toyota forum, so I don't want to argue the point, but the Toyota manual specifically says to put it in 4wd for at least 10 miles every month. There are no warnings nor any mention of avoiding pavement while doing it. My 2000 4wd TRD had 144K miles with no "carnage", and I complied with the manual whether on pavement or not.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 AM

This isn't a Toyota forum, so I don't want to argue the point, but the Toyota manual specifically says to put it in 4wd for at least 10 miles every month. There are no warnings nor any mention of avoiding pavement while doing it. My 2000 4wd TRD had 144K miles with no "carnage", and I complied with the manual whether on pavement or not.
Its not a Toyota forum, but part-time 4wd is part-time 4wd.

Look at the instructions on how to put it in 4wd, loose surfaces only and H2 is for hard surfaces. Search the Toyota forums, you will see all kinds of threads about why not to run 4wd on pavement..but hey its your truck.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Hehe. Not any more. Found frame rust. Toyota paid me 1.5 X high Kelly Blue Book value ($11,895) for it. So I bought my Dodge. Thank you Toyota!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Hehe. Not any more. Found frame rust. Toyota paid me 1.5 X high Kelly Blue Book value ($11,895) for it. So I bought my Dodge. Thank you Toyota!
Now thats a good mod!

My favorite mod to my taco was the 1 Ton Cummins, SFA, "Dodge" Conversion
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Since it's active with the axle turning all the time, lubrication is constant. About the only thing that doesn't get put into play is the linkage and the engagement parts, I try to use 4H at least monthly to keep all that stuff functional.

Where I live, most all of the local roads are gravel, and very loose gravel I might add. Some of our roads are just dirt with a little gravel mixed in to make sure your rocker panels get chips. I have the electronic girlie **** so it is easy to just flip it on/off over a couple miles of travel while at a reduced speed. I have used the 4L a few times while backing into a tight place, and especially when it is uphill backing on loose dirt with rocks, but I have not used the 4L all that often.

Move the parts, keep them free and functional now and then, you won't have a possible failure as much down the line as you would if you don't use them.

CD