3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dodge Scam or ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My overhead reads on the high side buy 1-2 mpg in the winter and in the summer it reads up to 1-1.5 mpg on the low side.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
I consistently get right at 10% higher on the overhead. I have an excel spreadsheet for about everything in my life from my vehicles mileage, maintenance, rounds fired in my firearms and reloading data for my .45.... ect!

I do average just under 20 mpg hand calculated though with the overhead reading about 22 mpg.

There was a definite increase in my mileage when I added the Smarty, it is easily observable on graphs from my spreadsheets. Unfortunately the graph for diesel prices over time seems to rise exponentially!
Man, I thought I was the only one with a spreadsheet for keeping track of miles driven, gallons, ppg, mpg, and maintenance items... Good Job!

Hay
Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 AM

When I first got mine the computer was usually within 1 mile of right. Lately i have noticed that the mileage is more like 5 miles off.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM

when you calculate it out manually your just getting a ruff average of all 30 something gallons you burn.. the over head is telling you what your getting at that exact time you look.. the mpg fluctuates do to stop and go or if you have a heavy right foot and etc..... so its not realy a scam its what your getting at that exact point you look and at what rpm and in what gear.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge89W250
when you calculate it out manually your just getting a ruff average of all 30 something gallons you burn.. the over head is telling you what your getting at that exact time you look.. the mpg fluctuates do to stop and go or if you have a heavy right foot and etc..... so its not realy a scam its what your getting at that exact point you look and at what rpm and in what gear.
what you're getting with the overhead is supposed to be the running average, since you've been running the truck, or since it was last re-set. the only time you should be seeing the overhead fluctuate, is if you've just re-set it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge89W250
No. It's the average mileage since the last time it was reset. You can prove this yourself. Go to the top of a long steep hill and start down. Reach up and reset the overhead. It will read a really high number, like 30 MPG, or so.

Drive for a few weeks without reseting the overhead. Now go back to the long steep hill and start down. You will find the overhead reads something much less than the high number you got right after the reset.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by markp
I have 2006 Big Horn SLT 5.9 ctd -48RE with 14k miles

I just did a MPG check doing this: Filled my tank all the way UUPP till I saw liquid [not first click or foam]. Then put about 250 miles on the truck going back forth to work [ 10 miles] and a few sixty mile trips on the freeway at 70 mph. Also includes just a couple minutes warm up in the morning while getting my jacket; lunch box etc.. Then refilled using same method above. Now with hard numbers off odometer I'm getting 14.496011 mpg BBBBUUUTTT the mpg up on the fuel analizer thingy from Dodge says I'm getting 16.5 mpg ?? Is this a scam issue and I use the term "scam" lightly; into thinking your getting reasonable fuel mileage from one of Dodge's big fat trucks and telling all of your none Dodge lovers how good your fuel mileage is compared to their fuel hogs; or I don't know how to use the fuel thingy?? Actual 14.5 mpg is far from 16.5 mpg when your braggin; if ya know what I mean---->
yall have to remember when looking at the overhead it is a AVG. MPG. it takes a reading every few seconds and adds it together
Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
No. It's the average mileage since the last time it was reset. You can prove this yourself. Go to the top of a long steep hill and start down. Reach up and reset the overhead. It will read a really high number, like 30 MPG, or so.

Drive for a few weeks without reseting the overhead. Now go back to the long steep hill and start down. You will find the overhead reads something much less than the high number you got right after the reset.
It seems like I remember that you can't reset the '06 overhead like you can the earlier years ..... don't they (06s) just show more MPG if you increase over the average for total miles driven?