3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

diesel fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question diesel fuel

will a 03 24 valve run on off road fuel like dyed stuff or will it clog fuel filter??? some time i get black ship fuel for free by the barrell
Old 09-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

In Ohio they PRORATE your fuel useage if your busted with off road fuel I think it 3 mths of use they figger it out and slam you with a fine....ouch itll add up fast
and they do check it often if you get pulled over in a diesel around columbus they will whip out there tester ..........now this is in utilility trucks with tool boxs because those coppers always go after the working man !!! not sure what the persentage is in normal trucks
anyway if off road diesel was free to me i still wouldnt run it and if you deside too.... dont come to OHIO Im not sure how other states are on this matter.

if they dont check you all in canada Im sure that the price of the fuel filter would greaty be shadowed by the $$$ you save on fuel thats a no brainer

if you had to replace you filter every fill up youd still be saving money. just run FLEETGUARD (cummins brand) and youll be cool.
keep your stick on the ice.
later
Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned

I still say that if you're stopped, they HAVE to get your permission to dip your tank unless they have some other probable cause to suspect you used off road fuel.

It's a search and you can decline it... nothing they can do about it.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legality aside the red fuel will run just fine. The black fuel may be different, a lot of it is number four instead of two.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by joel
I still say that if you're stopped, they HAVE to get your permission to dip your tank unless they have some other probable cause to suspect you used off road fuel.

It's a search and you can decline it... nothing they can do about it.

I wouldn't bet on that.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:19 PM

See if you can get an msds or certificate of analysis on it, then you would know exactly what it's make up is.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:51 PM

I've run marked fuel from day one. No Problems and it is way cheaper.. Lot's of guys I know run it and don't have any problems.

Blygy
Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM

When these questions are asked...maybe we should focus on the question and not 2 cent opinions. I really would like to understand and learn about all of the types of diesel and how they may run in our Cummins. Offroad (red) in my area can be either higher sulfer or just dyed #2. Seems to run just fine...little less MPG.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Ship fuel is #6 Bunker Oil

Don't run it in your truck. It's just a little lighter than asphalt. You will seriously screw up your Cummins.

Tax evasion is another story.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Blygy
I've run marked fuel from day one. No Problems and it is way cheaper.. Lot's of guys I know run it and don't have any problems.

Blygy
Not a good thing to admit to on a public forum.

Be on the lookout for tank dippers in your area (not hard to find, just follow the IP trail)
Could even be waiting at the end of your driveway by the time you read this.

phox
Old 09-13-2004, 06:34 PM

I can admit to it.. I gots this nice little sticker on my licence plate the gov't gave me says"FARM".

Blygy
Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 PM

Yep...plenty of LEGAL uses of "other" fuels. phox has a good point though, the topic of these type of posts should focus on the technical aspects, not legal, or personal admissions of guilt.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Even if it is a farm vehical unless its a tractor with a SMV sign its not allowed just because you can go non taxable because you have a farm dont mean you get emuity from federal laws. some farmers around here think the same way then they get busted on the road with their 4 wheelers that have a SMV sign on them then they think a little diffrent
I have claimed non-exempt on a few things and RULE #1 is you have to show proof of so much of a profit per year from your farm to be exempt from certain taxes.thats how it is in OHIO
Now my point is with my friends utillity companys (3 friends with their own companys) they have tax ID #'s and all that jazz and they get every thing tax exempt......claiming on farm use for there at home farms and claiming their work stuff againt there companys tax id.....2 of the 3 have been prorated and slamed with a fine useing offroad diesel in their "farm trucks" they both said its kind of hard not to use it when your running on E and you have a full tank of fuel in your bed with a pump and everything. but they agreed its was way cheaper just to obey the law like evey one else.

A LITTLE RIDDLE

they call it OFFROAD DIESEL
and thats what its for
keep bootleggin' it
and be it wont anymore.

FROM
Pres.BUSH

Do what you want ..I wish you luck
Old 10-14-2004, 12:02 AM

I don't think it will hurt your engine. My Bobcat has run red since new and hasn't had any problems.

However, I'm not a diesel mechanic or a Cummins tech. So......I guess it boils down to this, legal issues aside, do I gamble saving $12 or so a fill up against the risk of having to replace a $6000 engine????.....Dirty Harry said it best....."Feel Lucky"????

Quick Reply: diesel fuel