3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer cant fix my oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer cant fix my oil leak!

I brought my truck to the dealer, a few weeks ago, ...to fix my leaking front main seal, and to replace my leaking CP3.

A few days after I got it back, I noticed the front main is leaking worse than before. Also, now my rear main seal is leaking. I had to wait three weeks for a new appointment.!!!!!!

The diesel mechanic says "its a rope style gasket, and no matter how many times its replaced, it'll still leak." Im bringing it back monday morning, to have them try to fix it again. I told him, I dont care if yall have to put a new engine, ..I just want it fixed.

I live in Baton Rouge, and this is the only dealer {Salsbury Dodge), with a good diesel mechanic, ...so Ive been told.

My trucks engine warranty only has 12,000 miles left on it, ..and I need this thing fixed! At the same time, Im loosing lots of money, every day its in the shop.

Any suggestions, on how I should handle this?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM

thats a load of BS that they cant fix it. maybe he doesnt know how to fix it but it can be fixed. id give them another try then start calling and complaining to his bosses till they find someone that can fix it. dont know that theres anything elce you can do.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It may not be the front seal. It's a common problem for the gasket behind the timing gear housing to leak. You have to do a major project to fix it. Get a flash light and look for sign's of a leak that is running down.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 AM

I don't know how convenient it is, but I wouldn't waste time. I'd take it to another dealer. It sound like they either don't know how to fix it, or don't want to tackle the job because they're to busy, or it's big and messy.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
It may not be the front seal. It's a common problem for the gasket behind the timing gear housing to leak. You have to do a major project to fix it. Get a flash light and look for sign's of a leak that is running down.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly, I just fixed a major oil leak in our Sterling Acterra that has a ISB in it, the entire front of the motor, vp44, and aircompressor had to come apart to fix it. Cummins book time is 18 hrs for that repair, it took me 26 hours with some other small repairs done at the same time.

Tim
Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly, I just fixed a major oil leak in our Sterling Acterra that has a ISB in it, the entire front of the motor, vp44, and aircompressor had to come apart to fix it. Cummins book time is 18 hrs for that repair, it took me 26 hours with some other small repairs done at the same time.

Tim
does that mean if there's just some small 'seeping' around the gasket area, it's something that should just be left alone?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
does that mean if there's just some small 'seeping' around the gasket area, it's something that should just be left alone?

Its your personal preference, a small seep on my own truck would not bother me unless it was coating everything, but in the commercial end of it we are subject to state and federal inspections and decent oil leak is a violation, so they get fixed.

Tim
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM

With a flashlight, ..you can see the front seal leaking. Its dripping off the front pan bolts, an running all the way down the side of the block.

Either way, I just want it fixed. This is a $30K truck. Leaking oil in my driveway is not acceptable.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 PM

I would run from that dealer anyways, there is no rope style seal on that engine.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Smkndzl
I would run from that dealer anyways, there is no rope style seal on that engine.

What he said.

Tim
Old 03-02-2008, 08:05 AM

It may need a crank repair kit. This is also a common problem. The crank get's a groove worn in it from the front seal. Then it leak's. You can get the repair kit from Cummins. It has a metal sleeve that slide's over the crank, and then it has an oversize seal.

I actually thought that was my leak at first, did the repair, and still had a leak. Then I found the gear housing leaking.

I agree with the other's. Go to a different dealer.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Here's the thread about the crank seal. I'll see if I can find the thread about the gear housing leak. So check back if you read this before I post the other link.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=141692

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=142466

Hold on,,,got one more link coming just to give you something to read.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=155592