3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CP3 Replacement after new lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my CP3 pump is on its way out. havent done the tone ring mod yet. will the tone ring mod help or hurt the CP3 pump when its on its way out? monitored the railpressures today up at work and the pressures are way below what they should be.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Tone ring mod won't have any effect on the CP3. None. CP3 just pressurizes the fuel. Tone ring sends timing signal to the ECM which fires the injectors. No connection between tone ring operation and CP3, except timing.

Your box might have had something to do with it. As might a failing lift pump.

Is this on your dime or warranty ?

Is the rail over pressure relief valve leaking ?

Are you getting an ECM code ?

Is the CP3 getting fuel ?

How did you monitor the rail pressure ? Scanner ?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:42 PM
LCH

Originally Posted by wexman
Do dealers get parts allocated like they get vehicles allocated? I'm asking, because this is a very small Dodge dealer.

I believe next time I need something under warranty, I'm going to go to one of the "big boys" in town. They might be able to get parts more quickly.
My parts girl pulled up a dealer page on the computer that told her which dealer had the pumps (all over the country) and she called them, about thirty minutes and she had both pumps coming, got my truck fixed Friday. Go talk to your parts counter and ask them about this, she just used a dealer credit card to purchase them from the other dealers...LCH
Old 01-08-2006, 07:05 PM

QUESTION... when they replace the lift pump off the filter housing with the tank conversion, what or how do they get the fuel into the filter housing? Is there some kind of an adapter? I guess this goes out to anybody who has swapped out thier stock lift pump for an aftermarket (whatever the brand) how do you make this connection to the filter housing? Thinking of upgrading my lift pump and was just wondering.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

There is a comment about this in the Implementing a Walbro thread, complete with part number.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Tone ring mod won't have any effect on the CP3. None. CP3 just pressurizes the fuel. Tone ring sends timing signal to the ECM which fires the injectors. No connection between tone ring operation and CP3, except timing.

Your box might have had something to do with it. As might a failing lift pump.

Is this on your dime or warranty ?

Is the rail over pressure relief valve leaking ?

Are you getting an ECM code ?

Is the CP3 getting fuel ?

How did you monitor the rail pressure ? Scanner ?
i monitored fuel pressure with scanner. no ecm code yet. dont know if rail over pressure valve is leaking but looking into it. i think i may go on ahead and do the tone ring mode and see if it helps out. and yes the CP3 pump is getting the fuel.