3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak?

Went out today and found a puddle of coolant under my truck about 2" in diameter, not much of a leak but looked to be dripping off of the fly wheel cover on the tranny????? It's not tranny fluid, too light in color and smelled like the coolant. I checked engine oil level (possible head gasket?) and all seemed normal, no smell, level was good, and not watered down. Coolant level was good, tranny fluid level was good. Truck runs perfectly, any ideas?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Mine did this last summer. Look up above the puddle and you will see a hose with a hose clamp on it. It's a small hose prolly goes to the heater core. Just tighten the hose clamp. I think I tightened it from underneath the truck but I saw it from inside the engine compartment. Easiest leak I ever took care of!

Good luck.............Jim
Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Just guessin... Could you have over heated and it is the run off from your coolent over flow?? I know in the 06 the tube for the over flow is over to the right of the engine area, ran down on to the tranny maybe??
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Highly doubt it was overheated, truck sat almost all day today, only went a few miles to the marina where I keep my boat and then back home, and thats all in a 25 mph speed limit. Leak was never there before, even a couple long hot trips to NC, it never leaked or got hot.

Heater core is a good place to start lookin, I'll poke around under there tomorrow to see what's what.

Oh and I also just checked under the truck, driveway is dry right now.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Update, the hose is between the turbo downpipe and the engine block. You have to crawl under the passenger side to see it. But mine had to be tightened from the top due to the position of the clamps.

You might be able to spin the whole coupler to get the clamps to point down......hopefully.

Its a metal heater core line with a 4" rubber coupler in the middle, prolly there for engine movement. Its covered in heat tape and kinda looks like it wound be prone to leaking as it has a nice bend in the pipe where it enters the rubber coupler.

The pictures will be in my gallery soon, I just submitted them.

You'll see I didn't quite tighten it enough.

......Jim
Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM

That little short section of hose leaks on about every truck they make. 5 minutes with a nut driver to tighten the 2 hose clamps and all is well.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Interesting info. My 2007 coolant recovery bottle is low...below the "add" mark. Too low for my likeling. I was thinking there must be a leak somewhere. I'll have a look at the pipes and hoses mentioned.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Ditto what those guys said.

My truck started to have a drop or two of coolant on the bellhousing that I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I searched forums here and found a thread about tightening those two hose clamps, and that turned out to be the cure.

Here's a thread that has photos of the hose in question.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t+bell+housing
Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, didn't really get a chance to crawl under the truck today but to look for drips, again the driveway is dry. It's starting to rain now so I'll get under there to look for the clamps some other time.

Jeff, thanks for the pics, that'll help considerably. I did notice that little length of hose by the turbo, and wondered if that was it, now I know.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM

I tightened mine about 3 mos after buying my truck, small leak. At about the same time of year the second year, leaking again. I tightened it again. Close to a week later, leaking again. I had to go into the dealership for a flash, mentioned the little leak, they had a service memo/TSB - something regarding the hose, they replaced it, no leaking since.

You might want to look into getting the new hose via your warranty. It is a heavier hose, silicone, kind of reddish-brown in color.

CD