3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bought the tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought the tires

Tonight I bought the Toyo Open Country 285/70/17 A/T tires. So far they drive nice. The tread sure is more aggressive than the Michelin. These really do fill the wheel wells better than the 265's. These are not cheap. I about fainted with the $941.25 bill but my life rides on these so if you look at it that way it helps...

Thanks to everyone for their help with my decision.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 PM

theyre good tires i had them for the past 35k or so miles. especially if u got a few thousand miles on them but be really particular on the tire pressures and rotations. keep an eye on the rear pressures they tend to wear in the middle especially when your unloaded. other than that they're very nice tires. im running 305/70/17 now in nitto tg we'll see how these compares to the toyo.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM

Are they as quiet as the BFG originals KerToncol?
I have been looking at the 285 options, and reading about the different brands.
Was the ' E' rating important to you? I see a bunch that are 'D' rated like Pirelli Scorpion. I see that the BFG OEM's are ' E' rated. I think quiet tires are most important me. Let us know
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
Are they as quiet as the BFG originals KerToncol?
I have been looking at the 285 options, and reading about the different brands.
Was the ' E' rating important to you? I see a bunch that are 'D' rated like Pirelli Scorpion. I see that the BFG OEM's are ' E' rated. I think quiet tires are most important me. Let us know
My originals were Michelin but these Toyo's seem to be quiet. I can't hear any noise above the engine while going at highway speeds. I am a bit disappointed that they seem to be squirrley especially when stopping hard. I checked the pressure and they are 60 psi. I'm going to increase this to 75 to see if it helps. It kind of feels like I'm driving a boat or a Pontiac Catalina. My mileage has also been affected more than I expected. At highway speeds 70, my mileage was 17.55 (hand calc) when before it would be more like 18+. Only a partial tank driving on I75 in KY and TN so the jury is still out on this. Take off is slower than with the 265's but that's to be expected since they are larger. I tread is much more aggressive than the Michelin which will be very nice this winter in IN/MI. Everything is a give and take...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kertoncol
My originals were Michelin but these Toyo's seem to be quiet. I can't hear any noise above the engine while going at highway speeds. I am a bit disappointed that they seem to be squirrley especially when stopping hard. I checked the pressure and they are 60 psi. I'm going to increase this to 75 to see if it helps. It kind of feels like I'm driving a boat or a Pontiac Catalina. My mileage has also been affected more than I expected. At highway speeds 70, my mileage was 17.55 (hand calc) when before it would be more like 18+. Only a partial tank driving on I75 in KY and TN so the jury is still out on this. Take off is slower than with the 265's but that's to be expected since they are larger. I tread is much more aggressive than the Michelin which will be very nice this winter in IN/MI. Everything is a give and take...
How many miles are on the Toyos now? I've noticed that with Toyo (I've had about 6 different sets) that they take a bit longer than other brands to break in. That squirrely feeling should go away as you put more miles on them. You also have to remember that just about any AT will have bigger tread blocks than all-seasons like Michelin. Larger tread blocks also contribute to that feeling.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM

These are not cheap. I about fainted with the $941.25 bill
Ahhhh, pour guy lol! Try puttin tires on a dually,1695.00!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Yeah, I just paid $1600.00 in Canada for my tires, only 4 not 6. Same ones. I feel pain in my lower regions.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SundayMoney
How many miles are on the Toyos now? I've noticed that with Toyo (I've had about 6 different sets) that they take a bit longer than other brands to break in. That squirrely feeling should go away as you put more miles on them. You also have to remember that just about any AT will have bigger tread blocks than all-seasons like Michelin. Larger tread blocks also contribute to that feeling.
I have about 800 miles on them now. Increasing the pressure does seem to help. Glad to know that more miles will help, thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you buy 5 to replace the spare also. I was thinking of 285's but want to replace the spare just incase I have to put it on the rear, don't want to chew up the limited slip rearend with a smaller tire on 1 side.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by FOXY005
Did you buy 5 to replace the spare also. I was thinking of 285's but want to replace the spare just incase I have to put it on the rear, don't want to chew up the limited slip rearend with a smaller tire on 1 side.
Nope. I should have but I'll live with the 265 spare for now.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM

a Pontiac Catalina. My mileage has also been affected more than I expected. At highway speeds 70, my mileage was 17.55 (hand calc) when before it would be more like 18+. Only a partial tank driving on I75 in KY and TN so the jury is still out on this. Take off is slower than with the 265's but that's to be expected since they are larger. I tread is much more aggressive than the Michelin which will be very nice this winter in IN/MI. Everything is a give and take...
Did you correct the ODO for the larger tires? Each revolution is taking you further, now.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by tslewisz
Did you correct the ODO for the larger tires? Each revolution is taking you further, now.
No, I havn't done that. How do I do that??? How far off is my speedometer???
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Not sure on an '03, but on my '05, a quick trip to the dealer solved it. Again, on mine, they had to enter the revolutions per mile of the tire. This chart:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...t-a-ko/44.html

...shows the values for BFG's. Yours are probably close. Looks like you're in the neighborhood of 5% off. It's probably actually closer to accurate NOW. You might check w/ a GPS before you change it, but hand-calc'd numbers pre- and post-tire change are apples and oranges.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Had the same squirrely experience when I first put my Toyos on. I don't even think about it now, it is gone. Do not know what it is, but alot of the comments with the Toyos are for the first couple thousand miles they seem squirrely....
Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Roughneckin
Yeah, I just paid $1600.00 in Canada for my tires, only 4 not 6. Same ones. I feel pain in my lower regions.

Yeah they arent cheap here. I got quotes of 670. PER tire for my Open Country MT's Im on my second set and they cost me 435. a piece. It hurts...alot.