3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

blowby after injector install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blowby after injector install?

So my dads 05 CR had a miss about two weeks ago today...

I left work to check out the issue with him more in depth, and first thing was first, the truck was throwing a P602 code (ecm programming error), and no other codes. The truck was also about a gallon low on oil, which really concerned me.. A gallon of oil was added and truck was driven home.. Under the light we could not see any oil out of the blowby tube, nor the oil dipstick tube, BUT we could see that there was what appeared to be "blowby" coming out of the oil filler hole.. now this was blowby because if you put your hand over the hole, it would want to lift it off, and the cap in the hole would literally fly off when you put it on there.. Oh crap... was the first thing I thought.. the second thing, was that there might be a broken ring in that motor...

In the morning, we turned on the truck, no oil spewing out of the blowby tube, and truck started up just fine... it just had a "tick" to it (which I mistook for a knock at first sound) and we got it over the shop.. truck was smoking white the entire ride over there, and seemed to be "shaky" at idle.. I don't know, my dad was driving his truck (which is the one with the issues) and I was behind him in my 05. the truck was smoking a little white.. and seemed to be "ticking" from under the valve cover.... when we got to the shop. Right away the truck was taken into diagnostics, and as per the snap on computer, injector number four was not functioning properly.. as a matter of fact.. DEAD cylinder.. truck was on 5 cylinders, and was "running ok" by what it seemed. Anyways, on topic, injector four was shot.. IF one is out, may as well do all six.. so we proceeded to do all six..

EVEN WITH 2 micron filtration, I learned now that injectors still wear out, and at 148K miles, 80K with two micron filtration, one injector was dead. The injectors were tested on a bench, and injector four was not working properly, and according to the tester, it had been weakening very rapidly for some time before it gave out.

after the replacing all six injectors, connector tubes, and getting squared away.. the ECM still was not recognizing injector 4.. so the truck was running on five injectors.. again.. Turns out we had to remove the stock programming to try to remove code P602, and even after removal.. the ecm still was not recognizing the injector.. The ECM was reflashed and the truck smoothed out and worked much better than what it did before..

Ok so injectors, tubes, ECM reflash.. stock tune back on the truck, and NO DTC codes later.. truck seems to be running well.. WE changed the oil on it, used Delo 400, and Baldwin filtration, and also did the 2 micron from GDP, and proceeded to do a valve adjustment on the truck...

after the valves were set to specs, we happened to notice a couple of things on the truck.. the first one being that when you start it, it kind of sounds like it "drags" a little or "grinds, almost like it forcefully turns the motor for a little bit and the truck fires right up... it has done this the past four starts..

secondly, just for kicks, I wound up pulling off the oil cap, and guess what.. sounded like air escaping from the crankcase, and upon laying the cap on the oil filler hole, there was that **** blowby once again.. less than before.. but still it has blowby....good lord!!! there was no oil spewing out of the blowby tube, but when you pull the oil dipstick out, there is some oil specs spewing out of there.. and there appears to be some oil on the front differential as well, but its not bellowing it out of the bottom like crazy...

does anyone have a clue what in the world is wrong with my motor? Did a ring really break on this thing? or does the cylinder that was "dead" have anything to do with it?

again.. truck starts and runs great for being stock, other than that hiccup when starting it, and the blowby that still has not gone away...

I am not opposed to a rebuild if I need it, but im seeking out other possibilities for why I have blowby again, when ive seemingly done new injectors, new crankcase filter, ecm reflash, no DTCs and valve adjustment..

thank you in advance for your help guys!

Rick
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That injector may have melted that hole. When injectors go bad they can ruin an engine quick. You may have more than one broken ring. You have blow-by for sure. The next step is to pull it down and see what happened. Did you get injector #4 working properly? If not, you may have a bad injector harness.

If you have a boroscope, put it down the injector hole and see what the piston looks like.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
That injector may have melted that hole. When injectors go bad they can ruin an engine quick. You may have more than one broken ring. You have blow-by for sure. The next step is to pull it down and see what happened. Did you get injector #4 working properly? If not, you may have a bad injector harness.

If you have a boroscope, put it down the injector hole and see what the piston looks like.
Far as i know..

yes injector four is working well.. truck runs great, idles smooth and quiet, just those hiccups and that blowby that has me worried about it...

Melted that hole? Piston wash? or melted piston? im a little lost on what you mean there.... thank you!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
At the 1st hint of blowby a compression test is the 1st step.
The injectors have to be removed to run a compression test.
You should have done a compression test while the injectors were out.

Since the engine was run for who knows how long a gallon low on oil, you better start planning an engine rebuild.
And teach your dad to check the engine oil more often.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Melting a hole means melting the top off the piston which will scuff the heck out of the cylinder wall. If injectors go bad and are not taken care of on a stock truck, it can happen.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 PM

thanks for the help!

this leads me to another question.. is there any similarity with this and a 12 valve, that it is possible (as per Mr Flemming) that too much blowby could be a product of mal adjusted valves? or bad valve seals allowing compression back into the top of the head?

im not trying to avoid what I think is the culprit, im just trying to see if there are other less expensive alternatives before breaking the motor down...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM

You can run the overhead on it and see but I doubt it.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
You can run the overhead on it and see but I doubt it.
im with you on this statement..

going to check the valves again, and then a compression test.. but im fearing the worst for this motor....
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM

to all wondering.. and those who followed this thread..

heads been pulled off.. piston number six looks like it has been hit with a hammer repeatedly, and has some serious play in it.. its in the process of getting pulled out as well as the rest of the pistons.. but a sleeve job is already needed for number six at least.. now to see what happened to the rings... im willing to be its what caused the play in the piston and the hammering on the top...

thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man that sucks. Mine has blow-by as well.....having to drive it until I get funds ready for pull. My question..... Why is it always #6 hole that goes bad?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DragonSlayer
Man that sucks. Mine has blow-by as well.....having to drive it until I get funds ready for pull. My question..... Why is it always #6 hole that goes bad?
my advise here..

DONT DRIVE IT!! get a backup vehicle, rent or borrow one.. the more you drive it, the more you risk destroying.. my dad drove his 80 miles, to one gallon of oil.. and probably damaged the piston more than the 1/2 mile he drove it home the first time would have....

to answer your question, one and six tend to go bad on these trucks.. but I don't know as to why.. im searching for an answer as we speak..

ill post more as I learn more.... but far as I can say this is what ive learned so far

so causes for blowby

one would be a broken ring
two scorched cylinder
three washed out cylinder
four blown headgasket
five dropped valve seat or valve seal
six melted or damaged piston
seven would be cylinder damage caused by any of the above
eight a bad injector or injectors would cause any of the above as well
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 PM

trucks back on the road already..

what a difference now is all ive got to say.. Head was overhauled, all six cylinders were sleeved (why do just two right?) block was machined, head was decked, crank was machined, truck runs better now than it did when it was acquired.. no blowby whatsoever, and total cost was 4500 dollars...
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 PM

How bad were those 2 holes roached? Were the pistons OK?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
trucks back on the road already..

what a difference now is all ive got to say.. Head was overhauled, all six cylinders were sleeved (why do just two right?) block was machined, head was decked, crank was machined, truck runs better now than it did when it was acquired.. no blowby whatsoever, and total cost was 4500 dollars...
any pics of the holes or pistons?