3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Best way to clean engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to clean engine?

My truck was used for plowing by the previous user (lease truck). The engine bay is covered with salt and dirt. Do you guys know the best way to clean it without screwing up the electronics? Any tips and/or advice would greatly be appreciated. Oh, and I love this truck!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM

I just use my washing mit after washing the truck. Hose it down in there, just don't use a pressure washer. The only ones i've read having troubles are ones who use pressure washers. I just get mine wet, soap and scrub it, then hose it back off. Good to go!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 PM

With engine warm, I spray down with good engine cleaner (not Supertech) and souble up on dirty areas with brush. let it set and hose off. Try staying away from connectors, ect.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Every other carwash I spray Simple Green on, let sit for about 2mins then hose off. Always stays looking new. I wouldn't use a pressure washer; to easy to break seals on the electronics.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 PM

I like the simple green Idea
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Simple Green really does work good . I used to use it when I ran a repair shop . I'd go over to the do it yourself car wash , spray the engine bay and motor with simple green and hit it with the pressure wand . NOW , be careful of the wiring and electronics as was mentioned , but if you dont blast it directly you wont have a problem . Take a can of WD-40 just in case as it will drive the moisture out of electrics if you mess up . VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU HAVE A GAS BURNER or you'll be walking home until your ignition system drys out . I'd then drive back to the shop and blow everything dry with the air hose , mist it with WD-40 and its like new and gleaming .

Its a bit of effort , but its worth it when finished . By the way , Simple Green WILL tend to corrode ( dull ) raw aluminum . Thats why I liked to dry it off with compressed air and spritz it with WD-40 .

I suppose if its REALLY,REALLY nasty you could just use the soap position for a couple minutes at the car wash and then high pressure rinse it , do it at your own risk though , I never tried it that way .

Pigeonman
Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 PM

I use Engine Bright cleaner in the spray can. Spray the engine down cold. Let it sit about 10 minutes and they rinse with a hose. Heavy grease and dirt sometimes needs a second application, but most times the engine bay comes completely clean with one application. I don't know that having the engine cold is as important with the common rail injection engines as it was with the older mechanical pumps, but I still do my wash down on a cold engine. I have never used Simple Green for cleaning vehicle engines, but have used it successfully for cleaning lots of other things, so it probably works too. I just don't see any reason to change since the Engine Bright works so well.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
I use either Simple Green or just a heavy concentration of dish washing detergent. Spray this over a cold engine and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then use a pressure washer to clean everything. Have been doing this for years on both gas and diesel engines with zero problems. When using the pressure washer do not spray directly on electrical connectors. Leave the hood open for better drying and after about 30 minutes, start 'er up and go.

I stated above to spray on a cold engine. Yes, you can spray on a warm engine (NEVER, NEVER spray a hot engine!) but my theory is that if the electrical connectors are warm, then as they contract after being hit by cold water, if they are not properly sealed that it will suck the moisture in.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 AM

I know that many have had trouble pressure washing but I never have and it's my method of choice. I try to do it when the engine is warm but not up to temp. When I'm done I let the truck run with the hood open until the engine appears dry, the fan and the warmth dries things up pretty fast.
I am careful to avoid direct spray on the electrical connectors,etc.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 AM

I use the Walmart brand (I believe it's Supertech, as somebody mentioned) and found it's the best engine cleaner. Get motor warm, spray good all over the bay (it takes 2 or 3 cans for mine, 5 if I do the underneath too), wait 10 minutes then pressure wash the bay, being careful with the electronic connections.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 AM

I've tried Green and Orange etc.but like the Foamy Engine Bright or its off brand equivalent better,been using it for years on all sorts of equipment.No high psi.Once you get it clean and try spray stuff down with clear lacquer out of a spray paint can.It shines is very durable does some sealing and keeps crud from sticking again.Was used decades ago to detail engines.I started using it almost 40 years ago.Try it on some stuff under the hood.I think you;ll be surprised.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:18 PM

These ideas all sound great guys. Where can I find this Engine bright stuff?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by D384D
These ideas all sound great guys. Where can I find this Engine bright stuff?
I misspelled it the first time as it is actually "Engine Brite" and it is make by Gunk. It is available in most auto parts stores like Kragan's, Schuck's, etc.