3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad shake and no brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad shake and no brakes

Just did a 2.5" leveling kit on Saturday. Was driving today on freeway at 65 mph. Hit a bump in the road. Truck started to shake violently and I had a hard time stopping. When I finally stopped truck the brakes are engaged/locked. I am able to start driving and they will unlock. But pedal is hard and has a notch in it. I first thought was track bar. But I had no play in it when I did the leveling kit. All front end components seem good. No codes or dash lights. I have been noticing over the last few months a "hydraulic" noise when I turn the steering wheel.

I was able to pull of the freeway so I am out of harms way. When I come to a stop the brakes act like they are locked. They will release as I get to about 5-10 mph. No fluid dripping. No pinched brakes lines. All front end components are tight. Seems like a ABS issue. Pedal has a dead feeling with a definite notch in it right before it brakes. I am going to try and limp it home through side streets. But I need to get my truck running to get to work ASAP. Any thoughts on what to check? 124,000 miles on truck. 2005 6 speed manual 4x4.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by West Coast
Just did a 2.5" leveling kit on Saturday. Was driving today on freeway at 65 mph. Hit a bump in the road. Truck started to shake violently and I had a hard time stopping. When I finally stopped truck the brakes are engaged/locked. I am able to start driving and they will unlock. But pedal is hard and has a notch in it. I first thought was track bar. But I had no play in it when I did the leveling kit. All front end components seem good. No codes or dash lights. I have been noticing over the last few months a "hydraulic" noise when I turn the steering wheel.

I was able to pull of the freeway so I am out of harms way. When I come to a stop the brakes act like they are locked. They will release as I get to about 5-10 mph. No fluid dripping. No pinched brakes lines. All front end components are tight. Seems like a ABS issue. Pedal has a dead feeling with a definite notch in it right before it brakes. I am going to try and limp it home through side streets. But I need to get my truck running to get to work ASAP. Any thoughts on what to check? 124,000 miles on truck. 2005 6 speed manual 4x4.
First off, you got death wobble, likely induced by the reduction in castor from the lift kit. I have never seen it bend or break any brake parts, but that sure sounds like what has happened somewhere in your front brakes. Get her home, apart and see what is broke/bent.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:14 PM

shake

Pat thanks for the input. I have not had my truck aligned yet. Shops are closed for the holiday weekend. So that could be some of the issue. I drove the freeway yesterday with no issues. I am home now. Brakes have some type of issue with pedal for sure. Brakes drag/lock up when I come to a stop but unlock have I start moving again. I have had several dodges with 2.5" leveling kits and never had this issues before. Lets hope it's a simple fix. I will report back what I find in a few hours.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM

So I took my truck for another drive around the block. Pedal has a hard spot in it. The brakes will act like I put the parking brake on when I step on the brake pedal. Can a ABS wheel sensor cause this issue? Can't find any issues with front end components. Nothing broke. Still no fluid leaks. Master cylinder is full. Steering has zero issues.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
West Coast:

Here is a LONG link for you on "Death Wobble" on our trucks and some of the fixes our members have used to eliminate it. Get ready for a bunch of reading.
Here is the link for you:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-wobble-94076/
Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
West Coast:

Here is a LONG link for you on "Death Wobble" on our trucks and some of the fixes our members have used to eliminate it. Get ready for a bunch of reading.
Here is the link for you:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-wobble-94076/
John thanks for the link. I will find what parts are worn in my front end. What sucks is that the bad shaking on the freeway and trying to stop has now caused me to have a serious brake pedal/braking issue.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:04 PM

Front end

Just double check the entire front end. Re torqued everything. I can't find one issue with ball joints. So I will get it aligned for starters. But the brakes have lost force. Truck stops. Just not with the power it did before the crazy death wobble. So I can only assume the hard shaking and braking may have taken my hydroboost to it's limit. Steering is still good. I will report back after I go to the alignment shop.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
John thanks for the link. I will find what parts are worn in my front end. What sucks is that the bad shaking on the freeway and trying to stop has now caused me to have a serious brake pedal/braking issue.
--------------
West Coast:

You are very welcome on the link Sir! I know all about how bad the shaking can be as it happened to me REAL BAD on my 2006 Dodge CTD CR. And it happened at around 34,000 miles too! Fortunately, my Dodge Dealer fixed everything under warranty and I can tell you that they darn near replaced EVERY component under the front end!! But it got rid of my problems with it until I sold the truck @ about 204,000 miles. I think that the shaking in your truck may have messed up soemthing in your braking system.

Good luck on getting it fixed. That link should help you with getting it done right as there is alot of things that can cause DW.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 PM

Hydroboost or master

Jacked up the front of the truck. Front brakes have sever brake drag. Brake drag does not change with truck running, turning steering wheel or hitting brakes. How do I determine if it's a Hydro or master issues?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the steering have any drag? If not, I'd bet the pump is good. If your hearing is very good, can you hear a hissing sound when turning the wheel or stepping on the brake? You may need to replace the hydroboost line from the pump to the brakes. Easy way to tell if you can't hear anything is to take the line loose at the brakes. If you remove it, and see what looks like a slim plastic line sliding out of the hose, you need to replace the line. That little line stuck in the brakes is a Teflon liner. Just yank it out, and don't be surprised at the length you pull out.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 AM

Steering

Originally Posted by sherod
Does the steering have any drag? If not, I'd bet the pump is good. If your hearing is very good, can you hear a hissing sound when turning the wheel or stepping on the brake? You may need to replace the hydroboost line from the pump to the brakes. Easy way to tell if you can't hear anything is to take the line loose at the brakes. If you remove it, and see what looks like a slim plastic line sliding out of the hose, you need to replace the line. That little line stuck in the brakes is a Teflon liner. Just yank it out, and don't be surprised at the length you pull out.
Sherod steering his perfect. No issues. I did read about the top house inner lining. And yes, I have been hearing that "hydraulic" noise or winning for a few months not knowing what it was. I will check that and the return line. 👍
Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 PM

High pressure line

I installed a new high pressure line. Old one seemed good with no plastic liner issues. After new line install brake pedal felt normal for about 5 minutes. Then the notching pedal at the top came back and I can feel the brakes drag when I come to a stop. So I am going to replace the hydroboost tomorrow. Can I unbolt the master cylinder and leave the brake lines hooked up and still get the hydro boost out?
Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suspect your calipers are at fault. It is not uncommon for the pistons to swell and restrict retraction of the piston. The death wobble did not cause the problem directly, but simply brought the problem forward. I can also state that death wobbles can cause the pads to dislodge and jam. In any case, remove the calipers and all will be clear. The caliper pistons are coated with something and this coating has been a problem in the past. If so, change the calipers.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 AM

Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve-l
I suspect your calipers are at fault. It is not uncommon for the pistons to swell and restrict retraction of the piston. The death wobble did not cause the problem directly, but simply brought the problem forward. I can also state that death wobbles can cause the pads to dislodge and jam. In any case, remove the calipers and all will be clear. The caliper pistons are coated with something and this coating has been a problem in the past. If so, change the calipers.
Steve thanks for your input. I will give that a check when I get home today.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 AM

Front brakes

Steve thanks for your input. I will give that a check when I get home today.

Front brakes rotors where so bad that they had a lip on the edge tall enough to bind the brake pads. I think the pads where sticking against the rotors and not able to release. New rotors and pads installed. No more sticking front brakes....!!! Taking truck to alignment shop tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Bad shake and no brakes