3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

B20 Approved for use by Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B20 Approved for use by Cummins

Thought with all the postings/threads here about B20 use, everyone would like to know what I found out today from Cummins.

After reading the concerns here, I asked my Omaha, NE Cummins if they (Cummins) had approved the use of B20 in my 2006 Ram 2500. He said Cummins had recently released a bulletin stating that ALL Cummins can run the B20 mix without voiding their warranty.

I will have the document tomorrow and will upload it here unless someone else already has it.

Just thought eveyone would like to know for those that want to try it without worry of voiding their warranty.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:13 PM

But I think Dodge provides the warranty, even on the Cummins.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Sorry, forgot to add the part about the dealer. They said Dodge normally follows the direction of Cummins and they are unsure when Dodge will approve the B20.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 PM

I've read others talk about this , but they said for gov. & fleets =b20 .
For the rest of us it was b5 .
So it would be good to see in writing .
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 21, 2007--Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) today announced the approval of biodiesel B20 blends for use in its 2002 and later emissions-compliant ISX, ISM, ISL, ISC and ISB engines. This includes the recently released 2007 products.

Cummins is able to upgrade its previous position on the use of biodiesel fuel, which limited the use to B5 blends only, up to B20 for three key reasons. First, the American Society of Testing Materials specification ASTM D6751 now includes an important stability specification for B100 biodiesel. Second, the availability of quality fuels from BQ-9000 Certified Marketers and Accredited Producers is growing rapidly; and third, Cummins has completed the necessary testing and evaluations to ensure that customers can reliably operate their equipment with confidence using B20 fuel.

"We have completed exhaustive analysis and test evaluations which enable Cummins to provide the necessary guidance and information to our customers for the proper and successful use of this fuel in our engine," said Edward Lyford-Pike, Chief Engineer - Advanced Alternative Fuel Programs. "This will enable our customers to have a choice that includes renewable fuel."

The popularity and use of biodiesel fuel continues to climb. Recent studies predict that, by 2008, 1.2 billion gallons of B100 biodiesel will be produced in the United States. Cummins will continue its efforts to ensure that future products will be compatible with biodiesel fuels, and will continue to participate in industry efforts aimed at the development of consistent quality throughout the biodiesel industry.

Further information about the use of biodiesel for both on-highway and off-highway Cummins products can be found on the Web at everytime.cummins.com.

Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana (USA), Cummins serves customers in more than 160 countries through its network of 550 company-owned and independent distributor facilities and more than 5,000 dealer locations. Cummins reported net income of $715 million on sales of $11.4 billion in 2006. Press releases can be found on the Web at cummins.com or everytime.cummins.com.

http://www.roamingtimes.com/biodiese...el-fuels-2.asp

The Use of B20 Biodiesel Blends in Cummins Engines.

What Cummins engines can be used with B20 biodiesel?
The current approved engine models are as follows:

On-Highway: ISX, ISM, ISL, ISC and ISB engines certified to EPA '02 and later emissions standards, and ISL, ISC and ISB engines certified to Euro III

Off-Highway: QSX, QSM, QSL, QSC, QSB6.7 and QSB4.5 engines certified to Tier 3/Stage IIIA, QSM Marine and QSM G-Drive

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve..._biodiesel.jsp
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
# Is B20 approved for the Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel?

For Cummins engines in Dodge Ram trucks, biodiesel fuel can be blended with an acceptable diesel fuel up to a 20 percent volume concentration (B20) for municipal, government and commercial fleets only. This applies to selected model year vehicles. Please consult DaimlerChrysler for specific requirements and approved vehicle models.

Does't do squat for us.....that has always been the case.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your engine isn't warranted through cummins. all cummins engines are sold to dodge with NO warranty what so ever. call cummins and verify if you like. I did when my 06 dropped a valve. doesnt matter what cummins says is acceptable. I wouldnt b20 untill DODGE gives it the thumbs up .
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Bull butter. Use it if you want, I do and have for over a year, runs great, It is better fuel than the ULSD. much better lubricity and on top of that, you don't have to add 2 stroke or stanadyne or other lubricity improvers. Guess if you live in a cold climate, probably need some powerservice for winter.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Nelrod, its a really sick feeling to have your truck towed into the dealer ship knowing full well a fuel sample is going to be taken before they aprove your warrant repair when you have a tank full of non approved fuel. not worth it to me.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Not trying to argue, but do you think running B-20 will cause me to break down and get towed in to dealer? I do respect your decision to go by the book though.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its doubtful... however still not allowed, and if something were to happen where the truck was a dead stick it would be hard to fix that... this is one of the several reasons people buy the Smarty programmers.....

I would like to be allowed to run B20, but at this point oh well... I will probably run a tank or two of B20 every now and then to keep my tank clean.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 PM

I submit that yes, it's probably possible to use B20 without a problem. But as others have indicated that best or even personal assurance isn't the same as assuming liability for my engine.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

I've run B99 multiple tanks. This whole bio scare is overrated IMHO.
Mike
###
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM

B-20

Originally Posted by bekim
I've run B99 multiple tanks. This whole bio scare is overrated IMHO.
Mike
###
I tend to agree, i run b-99 in the summer and b-20 in winter and have no problems, i replace my fuel filters and water separator (fass system) every other oil change. i add howes diesel treatment and marvel mystery oil at each fill up though.

99 ram 2500 24v 100% over injectors, smarty, Banks power pack, fluidamper, bd diesel exhaust manifold, bd diesel torque converter, transmission valve body and flex plate, Eaton automatic front and rear locker, fass titanium fuel system and fass heater. 572 rwhp and 894 ft lbs max setting.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warranty, schmarranty, the warrnty from Dodge isn't worth the ink they used to print it. B99 in summer, B20 in winter. Been using it for years and the truck hasn't missed a beat.

Quick Reply: B20 Approved for use by Cummins