3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"anti-slip" differential question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"anti-slip" differential question

I had the rearend jacked up off the ground and spun one wheel. The other spun in the opposite direction, as expected. What I didn't expect is how easily it spun. Virtually no resistance other than inertia. Must have good bearings and zero brake drag. Cool. ;D<br><br>But....Is there any way (other than removing the diff cover and looking) to verify that I indeed got the &quot;anti-slip&quot; diff that I paid for? Would be quite annoying to find an open diff. :'(<br><br>I'm used to the old school clutch plate style &quot;posi-trac&quot; diff that is really stiff to turn. <br><br>Also, the AAM website lists 8 individual diffs, which one do we have?<br>here's the link:<br>http://www.aam.com/technology/tech_p..._diff.html#TRO<br><br>Thanks, <br>Mike in Arkansas
Old 12-09-2002, 06:21 PM

Re:"anti-slip" differential question

Yes Mike two things you can do;<br><br>First check the diff for a tag verifing you have limited slip....<br><br>Second jack back of truck up and wedge a block under one tire and turn the other the limited slip will resist against the block. If its a conventional diff the unblocked tire will rotate.<br><br> Hope this helps, .....................Pete
Old 12-09-2002, 07:13 PM

Just my .02 ;D<br><br>The LS rearends now used by the Big Three are street-friendly and grab very little at low torque levels. Thus, it's sometimes hard to discern if you have one under &quot;no-power&quot; conditions.<br><br>Some think the new LS's are not effective and don't work. Not so - they just work differently. They need some torque load to work effectively. One of the tricks us off-roaders use is to lightly ride the brakes when in slick mud or when stuck. This loads up the driveline with torque and the effectiveness of the LS increases significantly.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 12-09-2002, 11:13 PM

[quote author=UTAH link=board=20;threadid=8103;start=0#78115 date=1039482807]<br>Just my .02 ;D<br><br><br>One of the tricks us off-roaders use is to lightly ride the brakes when in slick mud or when stuck. This loads up the driveline with torque and the effectiveness of the LS increases significantly.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill <br>[/quote]<br><br>Other wise know as a pour mans locker
Old 12-17-2002, 08:28 PM

Well Mike, I dont spend time jacking up any truck I drive and want to know if the Ls is working or not, If its winter I look for a little snow or ice or wet pavment and just &quot;cod&quot; it.........pedel to the medal, if both wheels spin its their and working if only one wheel spins...........whell theirs a problem. There is more than one way to check a LS and some of them are listed here on this thread. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:56 PM

[quote author=OH Sick link=board=20;threadid=8103;start=0#81619 date=1040178514]<br>Well Mike, I dont spend time jacking up any truck I drive and want to know if the Ls is working or not, If its winter I look for a little snow or ice or wet pavment and just &quot;cod&quot; it.........pedel to the medal, if both wheels spin its their and working if only one wheel spins...........whell theirs a problem. There is more than one way to check a LS and some of them are listed here on this thread. Good luck.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That doens't always work, if both tires have equall traction they both will spin even with an open dif. I don't know how many guys I have wheeled with think that they have a posi because they see both tires spinning in the mud, then they find out they dont when one tire gets in a rut