3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What is "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle?"

Looking at the window sticker from previous owner, and wonder what the "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" is?
Thanks,
fatpete
Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM

The factory's fancy way of saying it has a limited slip rear.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM
EDR

The anti spin rear axle is similar to the limited slip axle. If one of the rear wheels starts to loose traction, the other rear wheel will engage and keep the truck moving (if that side has traction). It doesn't create a bind in the axle as much as a "locked" axle, which helps going around sharp corners.

This is my first truck with the anti spin and I have noticed in really slick situations, like ice, that the rear end can break loose and the whole rear end can start sliding sideways - so be aware of that in low traction situations.

The last thing to mention is for many limited slip axles, an additive needs to be added to the differential fluid to ensure it works properly, the Dodge anti slip axle (on '06 and newer trucks I believe) does not require an additive.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Also means that on rare occasions it will spin both wheels - at least for mine. It is some centrifugal force driven gear arangement ( acording to the dealer) that does not seem to work where it should - at low speed. Why they ever went away from the old posi clutch arrangement I do not know.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Also means that on rare occasions it will spin both wheels - at least for mine. It is some centrifugal force driven gear arangement ( acording to the dealer) that does not seem to work where it should - at low speed. Why they ever went away from the old posi clutch arrangement I do not know.
it's simple,CHEAPER
Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
.... Why they ever went away from the old posi clutch arrangement I do not know.
Cheaper.... and less chatter around corners, but I'm sure it has to do with costs more than anything else.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EDR
The anti spin rear axle is similar to the limited slip axle.

This is my first truck with the anti spin and I have noticed in really slick situations, like ice, that the rear end can break loose and the whole rear end can start sliding sideways - so be aware of that in low traction situations.

The last thing to mention is for many limited slip axles, an additive needs to be added to the differential fluid to ensure it works properly, the Dodge anti slip axle (on '06 and newer trucks I believe) does not require an additive.

Hope that answers your question.
It IS a limited slip differential. LS will provide power to both wheels, controlling the "one wheel peel", and still allow them to spin at different rates so you can navigate corners.

If the differential is set up properly, it should not slip as it comes around a corner as much as clutch types. One of the big issues is that there is so much torque available, it's easy to give a little too much gas and cause both rear tires to lose traction. In the winter I use POD to reduce available power.

Since '06, dodge started using modern version of the old Gleason worm gear. This type of differential does not need a friction modifier.

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/ps84gleason.html

When it spins both wheels at the same time, the differential is applying similar torque to both wheels. That means the differential working as it should. It's driver error.

Originally Posted by NJTman
Cheaper.... and less chatter around corners, but I'm sure it has to do with costs more than anything else.
The worm gears are more expensive than clutch packs. But they perform differently, last just about forever, and don't need friction modifier.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys sure you have your facts right? pretty sure all Gen 3's and up with the AAM axles have the Track rite rear end, via worm gears.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM

All I can say is the AAM in my ’06 is crap. I almost always need to engage 4WD to go places my ’96 Dodge would go in 2WD, without any problem. I don’t care if these American Axle’s are supposed to last longer, and don't ratchet. They don't do the job nearly as well as the old Dana's. They worked great.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM

If you have that much trouble, then there's a problem. The differential can be adjusted for torque management. Sounds like your's isn't set up right. Wouldn't be the first time something came out of the factory incorrectly built.

Try this. Next time you're having trouble like that, apply a little bit of brake. That should help balance the torque and get you moving. The worm gear will send torque to the side with the most traction. Until one tire has zero traction, and then it all goes to that side.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
If you have that much trouble, then there's a problem. The differential can be adjusted for torque management. Sounds like your's isn't set up right. Wouldn't be the first time something came out of the factory incorrectly built.

Try this. Next time you're having trouble like that, apply a little bit of brake. That should help balance the torque and get you moving. The worm gear will send torque to the side with the most traction. Until one tire has zero traction, and then it all goes to that side.
Can these be adjusted? If so I need to get this done. I’ve read many threads about applying the brakes and I’ve tried it many times. It makes no difference on mine. In winter, if I pull to the side of a road and put both passenger wheels on snow - and keep the driver side both on dry asphalt, my truck will actually roll backwards (downhill). The passenger side rear will spin and the driver side does nothing. I know the axle can work because it does lock-up and burn rubber with both wheels. And sometimes on loose surface concrete if I pull away from a stop turning hard left or right it will sometimes grab with both intermittently through the turn. But in snow and ice it never engages both rear wheels.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al Ex
Can these be adjusted? If so I need to get this done. I’ve read many threads about applying the brakes and I’ve tried it many times. It makes no difference on mine. In winter, if I pull to the side of a road and put both passenger wheels on snow - and keep the driver side both on dry asphalt, my truck will actually roll backwards (downhill). The passenger side rear will spin and the driver side does nothing. I know the axle can work because it does lock-up and burn rubber with both wheels. And sometimes on loose surface concrete if I pull away from a stop turning hard left or right it will sometimes grab with both intermittently through the turn. But in snow and ice it never engages both rear wheels.
Are you absolutely certain you have the Anti-spin diff on your '06? my '05 will lock up routinely in loose rock and such... no issues at all. We don't get ice here in AZ that often..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by pdogg
Are you absolutely certain you have the Anti-spin diff on your '06? my '05 will lock up routinely in loose rock and such... no issues at all. We don't get ice here in AZ that often..
Yes; I verified that early on. I'm not sure you can get a 4x4 diesel without it?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

You can get a 4X4 with a open diff, the wifes 06 has one.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Al Ex
Can these be adjusted?.
Yes, they can be adjusted. But it sounds like there's a real problem with yours. I would take it to a diff shop and have it checked out.

Quick Reply: What is "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle?"