3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Alternator Bracket Cracked (Dealer says not covered warranty)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alternator Bracket Cracked (Dealer says not covered warranty)

Is this true. They pulled up the TSB but said it is not covered. They want $200 to replace. Is this correct or am I getting misinformation? I have an appointment Monday to take it in. If anyone can validate this please do so before Monday.

Many Thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Depends on the build date and engine S/n. Just checked from our links page. It said build date prior to Feb 13 2003, and engine S/n of before 67013271.

Check the links button above to see the TSB's.

HTH

ED
Old 02-19-2005, 03:41 PM

I remember back in the day when guys were reporting that replacing it was a cake walk - IF you choose to take it home and DIY.

This thread reminds me to go look at mine again. Mine's in the TSB range and it appeared some cracks were developing but nothing near to be concerned about.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

How many miles on your truck? If you're under the 36K it's DEFINATELY covered TSB or no. The 7/70 powertrain warranty they offered should cover it, but I suppose there's wiggle room from that one if you have an unscrupulous dealer.

I went to Manuel Dodge, west of FW a couple of times and had very good luck with them. You might give them a shot.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 AM

I've known it to be replaced as a GOODWILL/KNOWN problem at 100k.I talked to a D.C. rep I know in this area and his comment was he expected his dealers to cover it as it was a KNOWN problem and update at almost any mileage.The service manager can replace it as a goodwill/tsb/known problem and D.C.wont blink a eye at signing his claim.If needed call 1-800-992-1997 and ask them to open a case on it.Talk to the service manager or tell the service writer you need him to ask his boss to take care of it as there was a design change early on.They should know better then to be a *** about that issue.I had mine replaced with NO cracks but I requested it cause its not a matter if it will crack but when will it crack.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Is this still a problem?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Maccandy
Is this still a problem?
Not on the engines delivered after the date listed on the TSB. They changed the bracket design.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM

If your bracket is made of a metal stamping, it's prone to cracking. The replacement is a much heavier-duty casting.
In certain lighting conditions, I could see very fine cracks in the stamping. When I took it to the dealer, you couldn't see the cracks in the available light at the dealership. The service writer didn't want to do anything about it so, I told him about the TSB and gave him the TSB number. He still was hesitant. So, I asked him if DC would mind paying for the towing charges when it finally did break. He then decided to take care of the problem.
Hope this helps.
Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 02-20-2005, 10:55 PM

I had the TSB done last year, watched for cracks for months on the old bracket, finally one day lighting was just right, and noticed a hair line crack in the bend of the bracket.

My neighbor has a 03 CTD also, and I'd been telling him to watch for cracks, one day I saw him outside and ask him if he had been checking it, and he replied "no". So we did and found his bracket had broken in half and was holding the alternator on by only bottom bolt.

The new bracket is a lot stronger design, but I've noticed after some time like some other parts on the truck it will rust up real bad. I'm planning on taken care of the rusting problems this spring.

Tony
Old 02-21-2005, 05:44 AM

I don't understand the hesitant that a service writer would have on a TSB.Customer states bracket is cracked,repair as per TSB.Done deal.This trying to save D.C.a nickel on a known problem I find strange.Never EVER in 25 years in dealers did I ever get called on the rug for a warranty claim that was connected to a legit TSB.When I bought my truck and I wanted the bracket changed before taking delivery the service manager said No.I was like do what! Now that I WOULD have been called on the rug for.If a D.C.rep had been there the good ones would have said YES SIR this see how quick we can get this handled for you.In time I sent a few friends to the sales manager over the past year and they bought diesels and a couple used cars.The same service manager asked me if he could ever do anything for me and I said now that I kinda know you.I WANT MY ALT.BRACKET! He said WHY didn't we do it sooner.I said because you were a ***!He turned red and I had one on the next day.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All warrenty work....stamped bracket will crack....replacement is heavy cast bracket......mine done
Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by commando

politically incorrect airfilter
Old 02-22-2005, 04:25 PM

Should also be covered under Cummins 100k/7year warranty.

Do not pay $200.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM

What shouldf be under the Cummins warranty? Not a alternator bracket.Nothing to do with the Cummins 7/100.Nor it it powertrain.Its a 3/36 item.But this bracket was only used a short time before a production change and a known problem.it should be a goodwill item any service manager can sign off on without a REP raising a eyebrow.

Quick Reply: Alternator Bracket Cracked (Dealer says not covered warranty)