3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6 speed gear clash

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed gear clash

How do others find their 6 speeds shifting? I seem to notice quite a bit of gear clash, mostly on the 2-&gt;3 and 4-&gt;5 shifts. It seems to get better when warmed up but I haven't driven enough at one time to have it go away completly. Double clutching seems to help when cold and it also helps to wait a few seconds during the shift.<br><br>I've only put 300 miles on her so far so I'm hoping it will get better with time. I might try Mobil 1 or Redline to see if it helps in the near future.<br>Kris
Old 12-18-2002, 08:52 AM

Re:6 speed gear clash

I take it since you didn't say you truck is a new 03? ??? I would check the gear lube in the tranny, and the diffs just to be sure. ;D
Old 12-18-2002, 09:04 AM

Mine seems to be a little rough from second to third. My 01 was the same way, until warmed up. Seemed to smooth out with miles.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:42 AM

Mine also seems rough from second to third, but not all the time. When it is acting up I have been holding the clutch in a little longer before actually shifting that seems to help. It makes me wonder if I am just trying to shift it to fast. What makes me think that is I have never noticed it while pulling my trailer.
I was trying to rationalize that the transmission was built to work under severe duty and when I am driving empty I may just be rushing it a little shifting. Another difference is I don't run the RPM's up as high when driving empty versus pulling.
Maybe something is wrong I don't know, just trying to throw ideas out maybe someone who knows could answer.
Also dose anyone know where the oil level is supposed to be on the 6 speed transmission?
FWIW Randy
Old 12-18-2002, 12:19 PM

Mine is the same when shifting from 2-3 - especially when everything is cold. This is normal, and should slowly go away as everything wears in. After all, this is a big engine with a real, working truck transmission. It isn't made to be speed-shifted. Oh, all of my fluids are at the correct level. My service department does a very thorough precheck and goes through a lot of fluids -- but they don't have any service problems. BTW, I haven't felt any &quot;grinding&quot; now for a few days, so think things are finding their fit. Still I find that a double clutch helps when cold. Enjoy, enjoy.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:01 PM
jt

My thoughts would be that the fluid is slow to move the piston when it is cold, I notice simalr shifting with my 5sp.<br><br>jt
Old 12-18-2002, 06:21 PM

My slight gear clash went away after a few thousand miles.<br><br>Cheers, Casey
Old 12-18-2002, 10:44 PM

Ok, gonna really screw up the thread.<br><br>I have no problem on the way up, but....<br><br>Hooked up the trailer, no problem upshifting, but having a hell of a problem downshifting, especially from 5 to 4. Have lost it like 3 times on a grade :-(<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-19-2002, 03:45 PM

[quote author=Hunter link=board=20;threadid=8478;start=0#82177 date=1040273087]<br><br>I have no problem on the way up, but....<br><br>Hooked up the trailer, no problem upshifting, but having a hell of a problem downshifting, especially from 5 to 4. Have lost it like 3 times on a grade :-(<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You'll get a lot of different answers when asking how the 5600 should work. Some seem to be easier shifting than others. Plus, I think it's very subjective, based on one's experience, how easily or not they seem to shift. Generally they get better as they warm up and as they break in.<br><br>Mine downshifts sweetly from 6 to 5, but 5 to 4 and the rest are a bear.<br><br>Upshifting, if you try to force it into gear with one hard motion, it often won't go. You have to apply moderate pressure and let it pop into gear itself.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:55 PM

EXACTLY what Santa Feh said<br><br>5 to 4 a bear, especially with a load on (not beer boys) RV load, and hard to speed shift up with a load on also. I think I am &quot;rushing the shift&quot; so to speak maybe?<br><br>Speedshifting with no load? no problem!<br><br>I guess like everything else, it gets better with age and experience ;D<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-19-2002, 06:44 PM

I think mine shift perfectly in all gears up and down. But I am use to driving big truck where you have to mesh gears and such and this may be the reason. It is a truck transmission not a car, it for sure doesn't shift as fast as the 6spd in my T/A, but shift very good for a truck tranny.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:18 PM

I don't own a 6spd but my friend has one and I drove it two days ago. I really like it. It shifts better than my 5spd. I would love to have it. ( just the 6spd) <br>DM01
Old 12-20-2002, 12:20 PM

As the man said on another thread - and Mopar Mudder's correct - you shouldn't have to use more than two-finger pressure to shift. If you do it's because: a. you're trying to shift too fast; b. you're not synchronizing the engine/input shaft speeds; or c. the transmission fluid is too cold. By using two-finger shifting you can feel the gears as they're meshing, and can avoid clashing them. If you just grab a handful of lever with a cold transmission you'll hear and feel the grind. Many people tend to warm up and engine on a cold morning, and then just start bombing down the hwy, not realizing the the fluids in transmissions and differentials have to be warmed up gradually the same way. Take it easy for a few miles, shift at lower RPMs, keep the speeds down until everything is warm and the vehicle will be happier and last longer. JMHO Season's Greetings.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:16 PM

I agree with the light touch on the stick. If I find myself having trouble I watch the tach, tickle the throttle if I need to, go to neutral and try again. It's worse for me in the cold. <br><br>A buddy of mine drives a Ferd 150 that I cannot put into first. No way,no how. Dead stop, clutch in and he has to reach over and shift into first for me. Two hands on the stick and I can't budge it. He swears all trucks shift like that in a classic case of 'I'm male therefore I'm right'. I think his Ferd is broken.<br><br>Jean
Old 12-20-2002, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two finger magic here if ever having a problem getting tranny into 1st gear let the clutch all the way out in N and press back in while moving stick towards gear wanted. One should be able to &quot;feel&quot; clicking of the teeth and when it is lined up it should slide in, if the problem persists with a warm tranny chances are synchro hub is worn. Trick #2 when coming to a stop and coasting just before vehicle stops apply light pressure to gear position wanted and it will drop in with clutch disengaged. Note major difference between rubbing the edge of the teeth and grinding the gears. PK

Quick Reply: 6 speed gear clash