3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48re in heavy traffic is not fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:48re in heavy traffic is not fun

After reading your original post on this, I have paid attention to what my 48RE is doing in traffic. You should consider getting it in for a check up.

Mine does not do any of the constant shifting. In fact it does not makes it's first shift until after I am at approx 15 MPH.

Another 2 cents worth of thought.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:44 AM

I have found that if you accelerate up to about 30 and then back off the converter will lock then rather than waiting for the normal 37 or 38. This seems like another gear but is not. I use this to keep the RPM down when first starting out in the morning. Also found out from a tranny man that the tranny is controlled by an electrical signal from the throttle position. A broken pin in a connector would not allow mine to shift into forth or lock up at all. Only trouble that I have had and that was the first ride at the dealer.
Good luck with whatever you find

Gordon
Old 10-11-2003, 08:14 AM

Re:03 48re Question

I tow about 8k with my 32' TT loaded. At 70 MPH I do not see any heat issues at all even here in TX where it gets very hot in the summer. I like the looks and the temp port of the mag hytec pans but I am not sure its worth the price for the 48 re on a stock CTD. If you start bombing your CTD then you will need to start looking in that direction along with other upgrades to the tranny.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:15 AM

[quote author=MNISB link=board=20;threadid=20798;start=0#msg195541 date=1065839921]
There might be some shift kits coming out you can get too.

The only dodge auto I got to last under heavy use was one me and a ASE buddy rebuilt (really built up) ourself. Each clutch pack had extra clutch and steel plates installed. I used HQ bands.... basically every trick we could find out there for a 727 trans. We meticulosy assembled it fitted to the wisest tolerances. Ever chirp 36"'s going 1-2 shifting by itself and still have the trans last longer than the truck in MN road salt?

[/quote]i am very interested in how you put 5 clutches in the input clutch pack. have tryed to figure that out for years.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:11 PM

Re:48re

[quote author=mymaur link=board=20;threadid=20811;start=0#msg195604 date=1065875661]
For what it's worth, on the pre 48RE trannies, one of the big mistakes people made was using the non DC fluid. Be it Amzoil synthetic or anything else.

Want long tranny life, use ONLY Dodge's fluid, nothing else.

2 cents
[/quote]

I have just ordered a 04 with the 48RE. This will be my first Auto with the Cummins.

What is the basis for this opinion? Do you have any documentation or experience on why Amsoil or any other synthenic should not be used? ??? I am not an expert by any means, just want to educated.

I have used Amsoil in my truck for over 100,000 miles in engine & diff's, and I used Redline in the 5-speed and have no complaints. Actually the Redline made the 5-speed shift alot smoother and easier. ;D

I am planning on using it in the 04 after everything was broken in. Tell me why I shouldn't use them. ??? ???

Old 10-11-2003, 04:15 PM

Big Bob

You've got mail.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:40 PM

Well geeze dude,

I regularly pull in excess of 20k, usually out in rough off-road locations, but ocasionally through town in some pretty gnarly traffic. My tranny has never acted like that...but then again I wouldn't let it. If things were to get as weird as you have suggested, I would immediately take over as your wise friends here have already advised. Remember this...when you are loaded up, you are not driving your Mom's Buick . Take care of your horse, and he won't toss you when your depending on him.

As far as the Ford comment...oh never mind.

Old School checking in with 18,500 trouble free, heavy pulling, dang glad to be rid of the overheating Ford, feeling sorry for the new 6.0L PS 48RE miles. 8)
Old 10-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Muted User

;D MNISB, I got the same tranny setup and would not have it any other way. It should come like this from the factory. Best part is I didn't have to remortgage to get it! :P
Old 10-13-2003, 07:11 AM

[quote author=1Thom link=board=20;threadid=20811;start=0#msg195347 date=1065799532]
Is this your first truck with an auto??. from your description it sounds like the tranny is functioning like it is designed to. I only drive auto's and they all act similar( especially if you pay way too much attention to itor are a tad paranoid). In real bad stop and go every few feet I shift into first or second, no real reason just do. In response to your ford quip, the three guys I know with ford diesels are moving to dodges when they purchase next, one decided after driving mine empty around town for about 10 min. (he said there was no comparison, was gonna be a new dodge this fall). By the way the 48re has really surprised me with the way it performs in all aspects.
[/quote]

I drove an auto dually HO before I bought the 6spd. It wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt.I only drove one, understand but figured if just one was that slow, I didn't want one. By contrast, I drove an auto '01 with the SO engine before I bought the '01 6spd and it would haul donkey.
The DC auto with the Cummins since '03 is engineered for 150k.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:44 PM

i am very interested in how you put 5 clutches in the input clutch pack. have tryed to figure that out for years.
It takes some machine work. It's been a while since I have had one a part. The piston and the thick steel ring on the other end of the clutch pack have to be machined a touch thinner. I'm pretty sure we also removed the wave spring on the pack too. It had just the right clearance for the brand of clutches and steel plates we were using w/o the wave spring.

Also different versions of the 727 trans had different #'s of clutch plates. Some cars 3 some cars 4 some trucks 4 some 5. Something like that... We at the time had a trans rebuild book with the all the info on the different variants of the tq flight trans..

Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 PM

[quote author=MNISB link=board=20;threadid=20811;start=15#msg196885 date=1066178667]
I'm pretty sure we also removed the wave spring on the pack too. It had just the right clearance for the brand of clutches and steel plates we were using w/o the wave spring.
That's why you could chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. The Wave spring is what smooths the shifts.
------

As far as shifting of the tranny. I would manually pull the gear selector down to the gear you don't want it to pass.

Say, you are in 2nd gear, and 1,900RPM, when you release the fuel pedal, it will shift into 3rd, and coast at 1,000RPM, then when you press down again, it immediatly shifts back into 2nd. For a better feel, and more enjoyable driving experiance I would tell the trans not to shift into 3rd, but to stay in 2nd,, by selecting 2nd gear.
If the 48re operates like I remember it does, it will still start out in 1st gear, and shift into 2nd, but will not go into 3rd,, IF you have selected "2nd". or, it will not go into 4th, if you have selected "O/D Off".

My $.02
Merrick Cummings Jr

BTW, On my Auto, I just have a ratchet shifter,,, It's in the gear I want, When I want. A Mystery switch too. it's an odd feeling locking up in "reverse", and 1st. 8) [/quote]
Old 10-14-2003, 08:56 PM

Just a month ago I had trouble with my 48re shifting, then I noticed when it was parked all night...the next morning I had a hard time shifting out of park. I wasn't sure about it, then on the third day it wouldn't budge at all. I called Dodge they sent a tow truck. When the tow truck arrived it slipped into reverse and I drove it to the dealership. They looked all day , said they couldn't find anything. They kept it overnight to let it get cold and try it...nothing, it shifted just fine and I looked like an idiot. When I picked up the truck, the shop said they were going to order a bracket and shift cable, and replace mine, Iasked what was wrong they said it might help???? I took the truck in a couple days later, they put the parts in and my truck shifted like a dream, the mileage went from 15 1/2 to 17 instantly!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know but I've been reading posts of people saying their's shifts real hard ...mine used to , mine want to check that shift cable. 1994 Dodge Ram C.T.D. modified with 9500 lb. winch wide load mirrors and numerous goodies 2003 Dodge C.T.D. H.O. 48re and more coming
Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 AM

BIGCUMMINGZ, I did not see your odometer reading posted but, if it is low this may pertain to your truck. My tranny shifted a little funky when it was new. At 3,000 miles I picked up our 10,000+ pound fifth wheel and began a 10,000 mile summer. After hauling that fiver about 1,000 miles the tranny was shifting smooth and firm.

Some folks have said theirs have shifted smooth and firm from the beginning. Mine needed some work or mileage to help it brake in. Yours may need some more miles or some hard work.