3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47 RE overheating in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47 RE overheating in traffic

I just drove off the lot with my 2003 3500 Cummins auto 4X4 and the O/D turned itself off. I consulted the Manual and it stated when trans temp got high it would do that. Then when I was in the drive through ATM the "Trans Temp" light came on. I should mention that The truck was empty (no load) and I was on about a 60 mile trip from Ft Worth. I encountered a little traffic by the airport for about 20 min. I'm ****** and I would like some idea from you guys as to what my options are outside of driving this truck through the dealership. I have been a Ford man for years and this is my first Dodge.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:49 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Re:47 RE overheating in traffic

To the dealer's service department to explain the problem may get you good results...Through the dealer gets you bad results every time...Ben
Old 11-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you pulled the auto trans dipstick to make sure it's got enough fluid?<br>Check it running, warm, and in neutural.<br>It should be at the top mark.<br>
Old 11-17-2002, 04:40 PM

kcjetchaser, What you have experienced is quite unusual. The first thing which came to mind is for you to check the both lines going to and from the tranny cooler. When I took delivery on my 90, one of the cooler lines was kinked almost shut. Fortunately it was the neoprene portion and by shortening it the kink was removed.<br><br>Since the overheating has occurred when driving in 1st and 2nd gears, the torque converter is generating heat. If little or no fluid is flowing through the cooler. When you are driving in 3rd or 4th and tranny is locked up, almost no heat is generated. while driving. You might have a restriction in the tranny cooler which is blocking fluid flow.<br><br>Good luck! ???
Old 11-17-2002, 11:02 PM

Shovelhead makes a good point to a Ford guy. You check Ford ATF warm, running in park. Dodges must be checked warm, running in neutral. Any extended idle in a Dodge should also be done in neutral with the parking brake on.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't get so haysty just yet. Take it in to your dealer asap and have them check it out. In my opinion you should have gotten 4.10 gears instead of 3.73's. I have the 4.10's in mine and it really makes a truck out of it.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:07 PM

Dealer service guy said there was a bad check valve in a hose going to the converter. There is a national backorder on the part and I won't get the truck back for a week. Thank you enterprise rent a car! Is it hard to get 4.10 gears put in?
Old 11-18-2002, 01:22 PM

It may be difficult to get gear change from your dealer. They are replacing mine, ring and pinion gears, and they are on national back order at this time. The 2003 have American Axle Manufacturing axles, GM trucks also have AAM. Check around and find try to find a good independent garage that specializes in gear changes, they may be able to get the parts through local channels. The job will cost you less. Part of the job should be to reprogram the computer for the new ratio. This will make the speedo and odometer register correctly.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:27 PM

It may be difficult to get them from your dealer. They are replacing mine, ring and pinion gears, and they are on national back order at this time. The 2003 have American Axle Manufacturing axles, GM trucks also have AAM. Check around and find try to find a good independent garage that specializes in gear changes, they may be able to get the parts through local channels. The job will cost you less. Part of the job should be to reprogram the computer for the new ratio. This will make the speedo and odometer register correctly.<br><br>As for the bad check valve in tranny line, that is to prevent drain down of fluid when engine is not running. Some mechanics remove them without problems. They should be able to make the temporary fix while waiting for parts.<br>
Old 11-18-2002, 01:34 PM

Its good to hear your woes are being addressed. As far as changing rear gears, don't be too hasty; drive the truck for a while before deciding. If you decide to swap them out, have a reputable shop do it to ensure there is no gear whine afterwards. If you've ever been in a vehicle that has had a lousy gear swap, you'd know what I'm referring to.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:00 PM

You guy's who are waiting for parts may try suggesting to your dealer that they try to pull the needed parts from an assembly plant. Sometimes we do that if a part is going to take awhile. Sometime DC will let us, sometimes they won't. If your dealer won't cooperate with that suggestion call DC customer assistance hotline and try to get them to pull the parts off the line. Dealers don't often like to try to do that but we have done it a few times.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:08 PM

Our truck has the same problem :'( :'( :'(<br>But our dealer did a bypass around the problem so he said.<br>The truck has been running great this way for two weeks. The part should be in early next week. ;D <br>Can't wait to get it fixed so I can hook up the trailer and go for a spin <br>
Old 11-20-2002, 07:07 PM

Driver, you are fortunate to have a dealer that knows what he is doing. There is no reason for a truck to be disabled awaiting a backordered check valve. Give him a &quot;gold star&quot;.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:48 PM

The dealer said there was no bypass for the check valve and then said the problem is something he has never heard of. Call me crazy but when a part is in National back order it usually means ther is more than just one person with that prob. Said to say it will be Sat (I hope sooner) before I can drive my new toy.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:17 PM

National backorder is very common when a redesigned vehicle hits the market. It means no dealers have the part, neither does the regional distribution centers, The only place having the new parts for sure is the assembly plant. With national backorder the parts will probably be shipped directly form the manufacturer to the dealer. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of problems surfacing.

Quick Reply: 47 RE overheating in traffic