3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

3rd Gen Front End Shimmy/Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind replacing normal wear & tear parts as that happens with anything.
BCM = Body Control Module (next to underhood fuse box).
I have the same set of tires ... BFG rugged trail t/a...never had any off the rims.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 AM

Got my death wobble fixed....it was the steering stabilizer / shock.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM

Luke links?? Any feedback how they are working out and how long did they last for you?just installed them but while I had truck in my shop ( cold out) so my steering stablizer got replaced with mopar stock one,it was leaking road force balanced tires,no wobble yet over the same bridges that caused it to start! So far
Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well not long after replacing tie rods, etc listed on the page before this one, I experienced it again. Found a loose trackbar bolt and my steering damper was 70K'ish old so it was replaced. A week or so later, DW again. I had the Hubs replaced, Ball Joints replaced, retorqued complete suspension, replaced Luke's links with new bushings, they were pretty tore up from the DW events. Adjusted as much slop out of steering box as possible. It's been months but few miles since I've been riding the bike, but I had DW again at 15mph!!!

I'm going to replace the steering box and hope for the best.

Anybody have thoughts on DW effects on the tires? Can it compromise a tire? I have ATII's with maybe 12-15k miles on them.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Well not long after replacing tie rods, etc listed on the page before this one, I experienced it again. Found a loose trackbar bolt and my steering damper was 70K'ish old so it was replaced. A week or so later, DW again. I had the Hubs replaced, Ball Joints replaced, retorqued complete suspension, replaced Luke's links with new bushings, they were pretty tore up from the DW events. Adjusted as much slop out of steering box as possible. It's been months but few miles since I've been riding the bike, but I had DW again at 15mph!!!

I'm going to replace the steering box and hope for the best.

Anybody have thoughts on DW effects on the tires? Can it compromise a tire? I have ATII's with maybe 12-15k miles on them.
----------------------------------------------------
Steelblitzkrieg:

To answer your question, YES, in my opinion DW can hurt your tires. And I also feel that not all tires are created "equal" when it comes to the death wobble issue. Let me make a suggestion to you that may help you save some expense.

Do you have any friends that also own a Dodge CTD Pickup the same year as yours? If so, ask them if you can try their tires on YOUR truck to see if it will help before you lay out the money for the steering box. If I was closer to you I would give you some extra wheels/tires that I have that you could try.
The DW issue is DANG FRUSTRATING and it can cost alot of money to run the problem down.

Good luck on your issues with it Sir.

---------
John_P
Old 08-12-2016, 05:28 PM

Well mine was just steering stablizer ,but did track bar bushings luk links fixed but tomorrow will be putting a 5000lb truck camper in it for the first time wish me well,installed air lift 5000 so?? The luk links didn't last in my daughters 2500 with 3" lift n hemi,just ordered lazer smith offset will see?
Old 08-12-2016, 05:39 PM

Road force balance all tires after all that still perfect I have cooper at3 and haul a lot farm use tractors hay
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Front End Shimmy/Wobble-image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 PM
DTR Detective

My steering box does need replacement, a lot of slop in the steering (135K on it with 70k of it handling 35's). It almost feels like the left front wheel is the culprit in the sense that when I hit a bump it feels like the LF wheel is kicking out on me. Remember this last time I was only going 15mph, I hit one of those lazily filled potholes where they don't let it dry long enough before allowing traffic so it was a bump on one side and dip on the other.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:16 PM
DTR Detective

To update this...

I went to Les Schwab to have my tires rotated and asked them to just do a once over on the front end after telling them all the work that has been done.

We went outside and I rocked the truck using the opened driver door.

Track Bar Bolt was loose at passenger side again. Driver side end link loose, and driver side tie rod no grease.

Took care of those three and it is 100 times better. I'm thinking the track bar bolt was never tightened all the way or something because my steering wander is now gone.

I assumed all the new "tight" components revealed the sloppiness in the steering box, but now I know the box is actually still good.

I hit speed bumps offset, tried to hit potholes, basically tried to force death wobble and I could not get it to even flirt with DW.

So I suggest the first thing anyone should do is rock your truck and see if the track bar bolt is loose. Mine moved about 1/4 inch while rocking and I never heard a clunk even when driving.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had dw until yesterday. Lucky to be alive. I put upgraded steering on at 70k miles and again new at 160k. 3rd set of ball joints and went with Carli lifetime joints. New bilstein shocks. New bilstein steering stabilzer. Borgeson steer gear a few years back but the rest is all very recent within 5k miles.
I didn't get it aligned but I will. I will also rotate my tires just before alignment. The only difference is that I had a dual carli stabilzer setup before and now have the single bilstein. If I don't get it fixed I'm going to give up on old girl. I've treated her so good for 11+ years and she almost killed me! Seriously I've never been so scared and almost rolled over

Any ideas????

Edit I also did new bushings and larger bolt setup from thuren as I have his adjustable bar
Old 11-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Be absolutely certain of your tires balance. Hang over the tire guy's shoulder and make sure they are "zeroed out" on the Hunter balancer.
The one time I got it my tires were balanced on the guy's last day or something. Way off.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Have them road force balanced that makes a difference,it's reads how the tire smacks the road.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I run large tires (315's) on my truck, so anything out of balance is very obvious. Even though I re-balance the tires frequently, and the truck feels smooth, I wanted to try something else. Had Centramatics installed on all 4 wheels. There was an immediate and noticeable improvement. I doubt if the truck ran this smooth when it was new. Not only does it run very smoothly, but I think (OK, it may be my imagination) that it is also a little bit quieter.

Another thing that you can try. On my truck I also have the BD Steering Box Stabilizer. Apparently on these trucks the frame itself can twist where the steering box is attached. Once the death wobble starts, the frame twists and seems to magnify the effect. This brace eliminates this.

if you are going to change the steering box, DO NOT change it for the OEM. There are much better after market alternatives. The one on my truck is the Red Head steering box. Had it for a while now and am happy with it.

For many years have had TWO steering stabilizers on my truck. Have the original OEM plus the Carli.