2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Front end shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end shimmy

Husband has 99 Ram 3500, 4X4, diesel dually. Front wheel will hit a bump or rock in road just right and entire truck shimmys, rattles and is out of control. Repairs &amp; maintenance very recently done are: new upper and lower balljoints. new stabilizer bar..or drag link as sometimes called, replaced steering stabilizer piston, complete front end alingment. It appears that it has to hit the bump at a certain angle as won't act that way all the time. Have to slow the truck way down to get under control, not good driving doing 60 to 70 down a highway. We are stumped as to what is the cause, and I being the worrier am very concerned. Any advice ??<br>Other than that the truck is GREAT !<br>
Old 12-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Front end shimmy

Welcome to the site Heybelle,<br> It sounds like the truck may have the dreaded &quot;Death Wobble&quot;, or at least this is what I have heard other folks with the same kind of condition call it. It seems to happen quite often in the 4x4 trucks and some say that a bad track bar can be the cause. <br> Use the button at the top of the page and it will take you to the search page. for best results enter DEATH WOBBLE or TRACK BAR in the Search for box and then scroll down to Max Age since last post enter 444 days, then enter 444 in the Display how many results? box and click the Search button.<br> Hope this helps until someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in.<br>
Old 12-27-2002, 07:07 PM

Hello and welcome. This is a common problem with the 4x4. Here is what I did to solve it. I put on 10 ply tires, replaced the ball joint on the tracking bar with a Lukes Link fitting. Problem solved. You'll probably get 20 different answers on this. But this is what worked for me.<br><br>You can check the tracking bar by lying under the front and wiggling the wheel back and forth, slowly, if the tracking bar moves at all, on the ball joint end, then it is shot. Replacing the tracking bar yourself can be a problem. I have never been able to get the bolt out on the Passenger side. So, I installed a Lukes Link. Works great, cost about $60 bucks. go to lukeslink.com there is an 800 # to call him. Pretty nice guy, I had a good experience with him. <br><br>Good luck.<br><br>If you can't find the link just PM me and I'll give you some more info.<br><br>Gary
Old 12-27-2002, 09:47 PM

New Shocks should also be on your list of things to replace. Rancho's or Bilstiens(sp). SNOKING
Old 12-28-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay particular attention to the track bar,very common to go bad. If ok recheck the steering stabilizer again. I have seen both these go bad on Dodge's and have seen steering dampners(stabilizer as you describe) cause that exact condition. If track bar bad should be obvious.Check by method previously posted. TG