3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2609, No voltage drop seen from intake heater?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P2609, No voltage drop seen from intake heater?

My truck just threw a P2609 code at me to tell me that I have "no voltage drop from my intake heater" Am I to assume that my intake heater has just quit working all together? is there an easy way to test it to see if its a relay or should i take it to my local "experts" at Dodge?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
could just be bad solenoids
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there is tsb for an ecm reflash for that also...

Mike
Old 10-09-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just start the truck do not wait for the wait to start light to go out you do not need the heater any way. the ecm monitors the batt voltage drop during the wait to stop time period. the heaters are for emission control and are not used on the industrial engines and a lot of people remove them. cummins, fbd glacer, winspeed and many others make the spacer block
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Intake Air Heater Open
Intake Air Heater Ground Open
Open Battery Cable From Intake Air Heater Relay
Battery Cable Open
#1 Intake Air Heater Relay
#2 Intake Air Heater Relay
Intermittent Condition
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by carl48
just start the truck do not wait for the wait to start light to go out you do not need the heater any way. the ecm monitors the batt voltage drop during the wait to stop time period. the heaters are for emission control and are not used on the industrial engines and a lot of people remove them. cummins, fbd glacer, winspeed and many others make the spacer block
unfortunately i do not live in new mexico, way up here in igloo country (Alberta, Canada) we actually get winter and hence im not startin my truck without it. sorry
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i did not see the canada, on the 06 there is a 160 amp fuse link that feeds a relay mounted on the passenger side battery box and from there it is routed across the top of block to the back side of grid heater. there is two heaters one stacked above another one. there is a connection for each . on the relay one coil wire to frame the other one to ecm. remove the one going to the ecm and connect a jumper from the positive side of battery and the other side to the post. with a volt meter or test light check to see if you have voltage on the large post the fuse link is hooked to next the post to the grid if ok check to see if there is voltage on the grid heater housing just place the probe on the side of it. if nothing the ground is ok. i have never seen a grid go bad. i think you will find it is the fuse link. if all is good start the truck in the morning and turn on the headlights leave it at idle and watch the volt meter or lights you will See the voltage drop or lights dim as it cycles if it cycles ok then it may need a re flash but first see if the code comes back. if you accelerated at the exact time the cycle started it will not detect the drop.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 PM

okay thanks i'll give it a try over the weekend but if all else fails ive got it booked in tuesday afternoon to get it looked at by dodge
Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Mine gave the same code after the check eng light or whatever it is would stay on. The intake grid heaters were working because I could see the voltage drop cycle as they would cycle. The only time it does it is when it is below probably 40 deg, the heaters work up to like up to 50 deg I think, and between 40 and 50 even though they are working, I don't get the code. Long stroy short, if you see the voltage drop as they cycle on and off, just ignore it.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 AM

I have a similar issue with the P2609 code. It only occurs under 2 conditions:
1.Decelerating from highway speed (65-75 MPH) to exit the highway.
2.Coasting on a secondary road in 4th gear to enter my driveway.

Here's what happens:
The wait to start light goes on and the truck chimes. Until I clear the code using my Smarty Jr.the light stays on and the engine loses power. What's interesting is sometimes there's no DTC code but clearing the "non-existant" code temporarily fixes the problem.

The DTC message is "No voltage drop seen from intake air heater"

Since I have the intake air preheater delete I put a 6-ohm 50-watt resistor in line where the preheater should be. This didn't fix the problem and I should note the problem didn't occur until about a year after doing the delete.

Before I do the troubleshooting carl48 talks about in his post I was wondering if something else applies to my situation. Does anyone have any idea which TSB can fix the issue? Perhaps there is a way with the Starscan tool to disable the computer from even looking for the voltage drop.

I can live with the annoying chime but the power loss in unacceptable...any help would be greatly appreciated...
Jonny

Last edited by nipstech; 11-02-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added omitted information
Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I strongly suspect you do not have a grid heater problem but a high side fuel system problem.

The grid heater light going on plus the dinging plug the power derate all point to this.
Chrysler added this "feature" in later ECM programming to alert the driver to shut the engine down before damage occurs if an injector has failed.

What program are you running on your Smarty Jr. If it's not the latest, go the Mads website and load the latest.
This may be why you are not getting the correct DTC for your issue.

If you do a search for WTS light on and dinging you will find much information for your issue.
There is a specific DTC for this issue, P1223.