3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

3rd gen Death Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen Death Wobble?

Do the 3rd gen 4x4's have the death wobble prob? I have a friend with the 3500 drw 4x4, says the truck has done the death wobble 2 times.
tia
wayne
Old 03-22-2004, 07:32 AM

Re: 3rd gen Death Wobble?

Originally posted by TXRAM2
Do the 3rd gen 4x4's have the death wobble prob?
Whats that? Mine tracks like its on rails.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Re: 3rd gen Death Wobble?

Originally posted by bulabula
Whats that? Mine tracks like its on rails.
Same here. I've never driven a truck this straight and true before. Tight steering, right dead center.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 AM

Friend says he has had it happen twice now. Scared the heck out of him. h
He loves everything about the truck. But now he is thinking of getting rid of it. I told him to leave it at the dealer until they find what is causing it. Might as well use some of that warranty.
wayne
Old 03-22-2004, 09:56 AM

Never a problem.

Did he do any modifiactions at all? Bigger tires?

Normally it would be a bad steering stabilizer
Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 AM

MM
Truck is 100% stock. Has anyone heard of track bar probs as with the older trucks. I reckon a steering stablizer, is worth a try.
He has had only good things to say about this truck, but now it has scared him pretty bad.
thanks
wayne
Old 03-22-2004, 11:42 AM

TXRAM, something's not right with your friends truck. For his and anyone around him safety, I'd take it in for a check soonest.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:58 PM

My truck has a few times started a motion that seems to be up and down like the tires are bouncing like basketballs. It happens at about 70 mph. I talked to the dealer he thought it was because my tires were a little low on air. We aired them up now waiting to see if it happens again. It was pretty scary the first time it happened.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:19 PM

Early 03 4x4's had some problem with it. I can't remember what the fix was. He has to have a good number of miles on it for the tracking bar to be wearing. But it could well be sloppy from the factory. Stranger things have happened. It's easy to tell. Just start it, and look at the tracking bar while someone moves the steering back and forth. Tracking bar shouldn't budge. If it moves at all it needs work. If it's under warranty the DC boys should cover it. If warranty is gone, put a Lukes Link on it.

That always fixed my 2nd gen trucks. Some guys change shocks as well. But the link always fixed mine.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
Never a problem.

Did he do any modifiactions at all? Bigger tires?

Normally it would be a bad steering stabilizer
Nope wrong!

A steering stabilizer only covers up vibes, not the all mighty DW!

DW is something you usually get with Jeeps, well anything with coils can get it. You will **** your pants when it happens. It the violent shaking of the front tires back and forth (uncontrolably) and there is no way to stop it till you come to a complete stop. I got my Cherokee up on two wheels going 55mph. once

DW is caused by: Loose steering components, loose tracbar or mount, or your tires being out of round.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by BigNutt
Nope wrong!

A steering stabilizer only covers up vibes, not the all mighty DW!

DW is something you usually get with Jeeps, well anything with coils can get it. You will **** your pants when it happens. It the violent shaking of the front tires back and forth (uncontrolably) and there is no way to stop it till you come to a complete stop. I got my Cherokee up on two wheels going 55mph. once

DW is caused by: Loose steering components, loose tracbar or mount, or your tires being out of round.
Well no not wrong, it can also happen on leaf sprung vehicles. Try it in a full size truck runnin 38's once when the stabilizer bracket breaks. Been their and done that, not cool. In a perfect world the stabilizer is not needed, but few things are perfect and a stabilzer helps to control it.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 PM

I had the ole' DW on my 1975 Honda 750 once, rear coils and all. Nasty around 90, smoothed out at 100. Really scary coming back down thru 90. Really scary. Had to ride with brown pants for a week after that.

Cause was worn out swingarm bearings, you could shake the swingarm back and forth a quarter inch.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
In a perfect world the stabilizer is not needed, but few things are perfect and a stabilzer helps to control it.
It still couldn't be the cause. I would definately check other areas. I still have the same Jeep that had DW, guess what 2 things I don't have? DW and a stabilizer.

DW comes in many forms, but the stabilizer breaking/coming loose only made it where the problem is now aparent and no longer covered up.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:59 AM

MY 03 2500 4x4 with Rancho 2 in leveling kit , 9000 Rancho adjustable shocks, 315 bfg,s , Started the Death wobble at 35000 miles, 15,000 miles after installing the leveling kit. At about 70 mph it would go into a violent shake - had to brake hard to about 50 mph to get out of it. This happened probably 20 times. Changed out ball joints - totally worn out, still had wobble not as often. Changed out steering shock- same problem, balanced tires still there. Changed out passanger side Rancho shock - Death Wobble - GONE !! Now I keep my adjustable shocks at the max setting. I would never have thought a weak shock could have caused such a major problem.

Sorry for the long post - Hope this helps - Ken.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:06 AM

Well the dealer said it was the steering damper. He should get it back today. IMHO, I have a hard time thinking that only the stabilizer, with nothing else worn or loose would cause such a violent problem. At 65mph w/30' gn in tow, the DW will really get your pulse going.
Hope it's fixed now, if not I will get under there and have a look for myself.
Thanks for the replys.
wayne

Quick Reply: 3rd gen Death Wobble?