3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

25k miles change tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25k miles change tranny fluid?

I had my tranny rebuilt about 25k miles ago. The thing runs so cool even towing at the max that I have never gotten to 180 and even 150 is only in town towing at the max in stop and go and this is verrrryyyyy little of the time. When I got the tranny rebuilt they flushed the complete system twice once before the tranny was put back in and then after the first test drive. I drove the truck 1500 miles and the tranny was dropped back out and everything was drained but not flushed and a new filter put on. The fluid is as red and clear as the day it went in. Lube feels like new. Smells sweet like new. Question is....Is there a lab that does fluid testing for tranny oil. I hate dumping perfectly good tranny fluid for no reason. I paid for 30 litres the last time so the cost doesn't bother me. I also have over 10g into the tranny and want to make it last forever. The tranny still shifts as good as the day it was test driven and still tows like a monster. What are your thoughts. The truck is going in for some improvements in about 3k and I'd like to do it then. What are your thought and advice. I'm about 1200 k from my diesel performance guy who rebuilt the tranny and I'd rather wait to have him do it for my warranty. ks
Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You spent 10g on a tranny rebuild and now you are worrying about the cost of new fluid? What does new fluid cost $100 US? Anyway, by the description of the fluid it sounds like you don't need new but after 25K miles it'll be worth it to change it.

Why was the tranny taken back out of the truck at 1500 miles?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

I did a lot of the same things you did to upgrade, minus the really good stuff and I still change mine every 20K, it's cheaper over the long haul if you ask me..
Tom
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been reading your posts for a while now and have learned a great deal from you so take my advice for what its worth.

I would without a doubt change the fluid, it may be the cheapest insurance you could buy. I see no reason not to, so you possibley waste a little fluid, so what, like you stated you are not worried about the cost.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Well, When I go to my diesel shop in two weeks the tranny is coming down for a little hmmmmm modification. When this is done all that new fluid will end up on the floor. Plus it is working so good now....I'd hate to change out the fluid so far away from my tranny guy something screw up and I have to trailer my truck to get things fixed. The tranny was rebuilt at my diesel guys shop but my truck was 1200 miles away. The next time I went by my diesel guys place we replaced the flexplate that hadn't arrived with the rest of the parts. Plus once in the valve body was giving me 100psi at idle. A little adjustment and I think its 80 at idle. 100 psi was whiplash. ks
Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
Question is....Is there a lab that does fluid testing for tranny oil. I hate dumping perfectly good tranny fluid for no reason. I paid for 30 litres the last time so the cost doesn't bother me. ks

Blackstone Laboratories says on their website that they do tranny fluid too. I have never sent mine in though. (just engine oil) FWIW, I change my trans fluid/transfer case fluid every 15K. Probably overkill but I hear the main thing is to change out that filter...not so much the fluid (unless it was burned). But since im changing out the filter im not going to put the old fluid back in. Tranny fluid is cheap. Trannies are not.

Here is Blackstone's website. Hope that helps.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KS,

Did you ever contact Blackstone or somebody about your tranny fluid? I was just kinda curious what they say about it. I may send in mine next time to see what the results are.