3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2315 miles...now I need a ride to work

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2315 miles...now I need a ride to work

2315 miles on my truck, and its sitting in my yard worthless as a bull with no........

Driving home from getting some dinner, shifting from 5th into 6th gear, when i hear a loud clicking violent sound. As i ease off on the fuel, i start sweating. Sound goes away...i look down oil pressure guage has dropped significantly, i didnt notice any other guage changes. I happen to look in the rearview mirror, and there is a trail of white smoke as far as i could see. I smell what smells like freshly fired ammunition. I managed to get it to a gas station parking lot, where i began to investigate. Noticed the color of smoke changed to a more gray color. Unable to detect leaks, unable to detect coolant in the oil, nothing my ignorant skills could reveal. Tried to crank it back up, just to see what would happen...alot of clicking no ignition.

2315 miles, these things shouldnt be happening. Having equipment and personal items in the truck, ideas of 24hr towing service wasnt exactly the first thing on my mind. So it sits out behind my house until i can try and have this jewel looked at. My worry is what damage was caused by the violent sounds i heard? When will the damage reappear ?

An odd note, once the truck was dropped off (30 minutes later)....the tailpipe was cold, the muffler not much warmer than the tailpipe. Converter problem?

All i know is, i buy trucks to drive, i dont buy trucks to beg for rides. Asking someone for a ride to work when you just bought a new truck is embarrasing.....saying im annoyed and angry would be the G rated version of this story.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Is there oil in it? Is there coolant? Are you using a fueling box?? (although I think you checked that...)

When you tried to start it would it turn over or just click and pop... Now that it is cool can you turn it over?
Old 06-12-2004, 08:44 AM

Oil is at full level, coolant in overflow container is slightly low..but that shouldn't be a problem since it was warmed to NOT. I didnt try to crank it this morning. Few people said it may be the turbo. Im not the smartest on the turbo system, i know how they work...thats about it. Injector/lift pump? White smoke tells me its water, so i dont know. Waterpump? Having the silencer ring out of it, and unable to reinstall it until sunday AM, keeps me from having it towed to local dealer. Im sure they'd try to say that caused something..so i guess ill have to wait.
These boots weren't made for walking..............
Old 06-12-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
White smoke on a diesel means much more than water. (not necessarly a bad thing) Your problem is fuel related
I *think* too much fuel and not enough air = black smoke
Bad timing? In cold climates you will get white smoke on startup. I can't say I am the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to diesels either, but I don't think your engine is trashed.
Best of luck...
Old 06-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Pretty bad when you buy something new that lists for over 40k dollars..........and it come apart like a 2 dollar watch. Im sure it wont be a one day repair, and that further damage will appear down the road.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I removed two posts in the hopes that this thing can get back on track. There is absolutely no reason for any personal barbs or insults to be tossed about here.

I will PM each party involved.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Truckjerk
Pretty bad when you buy something new that lists for over 40k dollars..........and it come apart like a 2 dollar watch. Im sure it wont be a one day repair, and that further damage will appear down the road.
Hang tough there TJ, I know you are upset and rightfully so, but give DC a chance to get it straight, and life may become very happy again.

These things are built to last a lifetime, but as with every man made object sometimes one will break unexpectedly. They may have you up and running in no time Try to keep a positive outlook for now........

Plenty of time to be upset later if you have to be.

Best of luck!!!

Lary
Old 06-13-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

If oil pressure went to zero, I'm wondering if maybe you hurt something internally (main bearing or something).
Old 06-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I removed two posts in the hopes that this thing can get back on track. There is absolutely no reason for any personal barbs or insults to be tossed about here.

I will PM each party involved.
Got mine.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:55 AM

TJ, I hope everthing works out OK. Perhaps its something simple. Please, lets us know what the shop finds out.

Doug
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM

At least it happened under warranty and it will be fixed on D/C's nickel. Unlike my GMC had intermitten problem with drivers window which quit working a month after warranty was up and the dealership wouldn't even check it out on a Saturday when I had it in for service. Drove to the Dodge dealer and traded it in.