3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2004.5 Died and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 Died and won't start

Hoping to get some help.

I have an 04.5 2500 with 74k and a FASS pump that is working good. I was driving at 50 mph when the truck died. It happened quick ... normal cruise power, cough cough accompanied by white smoke and dead. It has not restarted and has no codes.

I am leaning toward a high pressure pump problem, what do you think?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM

The only time any thing like that happened to my truck, it was when an injector line came loose. Guess you could check there first.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM

So after searching the internet for hours, I have done some diagnosing but want some opinions before I start throwing parts at it.

Good fuel flow from the FASS to the CP3

Good fuel flow from the CP3 to the rail. (I removed the hard line from the CP3 to the fuel rail and caught the flow under no pressure during cranking.)

There is a fair amount of return flow from the CP3 while cranking, not sure how much is normal.

No return flow from the injectors while cranking

I have verified that the high pressure relief valve is not leaking

No high pressure lines are leaking

Disconnected the FCA but truck did not start.

Engine will start with starting fluid, but dies when fluid runs out.

I borrowed a snap on scan tool and the fuel pressure read 1000-1500 psi while cranking.

Anything I missed? Any parts I can pin this on?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

injectors , going through the same thing right now , 1 bad injector is enough to keep it from starting . I've got multiple in mine, and need more fuel line caps to verify.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Cranking pressure is way too low should be seeing 3000 psi. Start capping injector lines until you fine the bad injector. I lucked out the last time with my truck. I capped #3 injector and truck fired right up. Lucky for me injectors were covered under Cummins warranty. Hard to believe your not getting excessive fuel return from injectors. Is your oil level above full mark?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Cummins Guru

previous post on diag no start
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=267822
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 AM

havin same problem, just replaced cp3 still wont start.....need help asap!

also what where do you cap the injector line what do i need for that
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Cummins Guru

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.co...px?id=3&page=2

Miller tool Pressure Cap - #9011 $24.35
Old 04-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked the oil but it is just full. Turns out my truck is still under warranty so I will take it in on Monday. I will let you know what they find.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Here is what the Service advisor told me about my problem:

First he said everything checked out fine ie. no excessive return flow anywhere, good lift and cp3 flow. So they decided it was bad fuel because that is the only way it would die. They said that is not covered under warranty and it was going to be around $1000 dollars to flush everything out including tank, lines, rail, injectors.

One hour later he called back and said when they capped off number two the truck started, but still smelled like bad fuel. So bad fuel is still the problem, and I need an injector. Still not under warranty because the fuel caused the injector to go bad, and most likely all of them are bad. Now he is quoting in the $5000-$6000 range.

So I ask the service advisor a few questions:

Q: Can a bad injector cause a truck to stop in its tracks?
A: No.

Q: Can bad fuel make a truck stop in its tracks?
A: Yes.

Q: Can the truck start on a bad injector?
A: No.

Q: Can the truck start on bad fuel?
A: Yes.

So I ask why is it that the truck will die because of bad fuel, but also starts on the very same bad fuel with the injector capped off? No good answer, but he said in my case this is what happened, but in no way could one injector cause a truck to die.

I tell them I am picking up the truck and taking it to another dealer and the service manager calls me. He was reasonable and said he would replace the #2 injector under warranty but he would also send in a fuel sample because they are convinced it is bad fuel. After they get the sample back, then they would do additional repairs if necessary. My dime if the fuel is bad, warranty if it is not bad.

I get a call that says the injector is replaced and truck runs. They just have to get the fuel tested now. I ask if the truck runs normally and he says he doesn't know he would call me back. 24 hours later I call them and ask if they know if the truck runs normally or not. He says yep, good to go.

I pick up the truck and ask what went wrong. Nobody knows, so I talk to the tech. He shows me the injector and explains. It failed open and dumped full flow into the cylinder. The compression then pressurized the injector and partially blew the top off. The top of the injector was canted and hard to remove. It actually was scarred from being pried out. I asked if they still needed a fuel sample and they said, "ahh no."

Not sure what they were trying to pull, but they really try hard to get out of warranty repairs. I assume it is because they can fast talk some people out of $5000 instead of getting a few hundred back from Chrysler.

Sorry for the long story, that was actually the cliff notes version. Don't believe what the dealership tells you, do your homework.

I have the truck back and it is running good.
Attached Thumbnails 2004.5 Died and won't start-cummins-injector-2.jpg